DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axle info for 85 B350

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LuvMopars 
#1 ·
I have a 1985 Dodge B350 12 passenger van VIN # 2B5WB31TXFK285644. I am needing to know if I have the 3600 or 4000 front axle? I need to replace tie rod ends & ball joint etc.. & need to know which one.

#2 ·
Pop the hood and see if you have a sticker on the under side that says something like "Equipment Identification" or something like that. If I remember right, mine has that info on the sticker.

#4 ·
Well, maybe you could see if any local parts store(s) have an example of each ball joint on the shelf so you could look at them and see what the differences are, and then compare that to what you actually have.

The only other thing I can add is that some vans with 8 lug wheels had front brake rotors that were separate from the hubs and slipped over the wheel studs. Others had the rotor and hub as a single piece. My van has the single piece version, and my under hood sticker shows that I have a 4000 lb. front "axle". Also I noticed that my upper control arms have "Heavy Duty" stamped in them. Wether the brake rotor differences are a definitive way to tell the 3600 from the 4000 I'm not 100% sure. Plus there is a 13 year difference in model years, so that further muddies the waters.

I wish I had a better answer for you. This question has come up before, but I have not heard of an easy way to tell the difference.

#6 ·
Calvin,
I know this is a month late but hope you read this, I also have an 85 12 pax van but more importantly have to Doge Manual for it....... 4th character of your Vin is a "W", thus according to the VIN chart, this ID's your van as Hydraulic brakes, with excess abilities of 9,000 lbs, So my suggestion is similar to Van-Nut's, run your vin by your local parts store as they should be able to provide correct part with it. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.