DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Only one lowbeam works, but both brights come on

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  MonsoonMike 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Sorry if I'm in the wrong spot to ask, but I'm in a pickle. So a while back about a year ago I ran into a problem where only one lowbeam headlight came on, but when I hit the brights, they both came on. I was told by my mechanic that it was probably the TIPM that needs replaced. Well I just thought it was the headlights themselves so I bought the new Sylvania brightest ones Autozone had and some anti-arc goop to install. I got the right one in just fine (the one that was just fine the whole time), but the left one was a B**CH to get in. I fought with it for over an hour to get the housing to seat fully, but finally I got it in and VIOLA...both headlights worked both lows and highs.

Fast forward to about a month ago. Same issue. I immediately thought the left one must've had an electrical short in it before and I jiggled it enough to work. Well I put a meter on it and I'm getting full current. This friggin' TIPM is not only elusive for my 2006 Ram 1500 Sport, but it's crazy expensive to buy AND even more expensive to have installed from what I'm understanding. I have checked EVERY SINGLE FUSE to no avail.

Any suggestions? Please? I'm pathetically desperate here...haha! Any help you guys and gals could offer would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

P.S.....I'll buy beer if you help!!! :grin:grin:grin:grin:grin

See less See more
#2 ·
I would start with checking to see if the truck has thrown any codes (it can throw some that wont cause the check engine light to come on). After that, I would advise clearing any codes present and then disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting. Sounds stupid, but I have had this same issue with my HID setup in the past and this has fixed it, although it does come back from time to time.

#3 ·
It's the PCM (Fuse Box). It happened to me as well on my 2007. Only one low beam works but both high beams work. I bought a used fuse box from car-part.com and it works! Cost was like $150. Install is easy, just like 4 connectors and a few bolts/nuts.

#4 ·
About a year ago I had about the same issue. I thought ,,OH NO TIPM, but it turned out to be new headlamp sockets. Actually the wires just before entering the socket were mashed from when they were crimped at the factory.
Kind of a brain teaser, unplug the connector from the bulb, had juice, plug it back in , no juice. Look real close and you should be able to see and feel the break in the wire.

#5 ·
you say you are getting full current? Do you mean full Voltage? 12 volts dc???? If thats the case, you know the TIPM is good and its just a bulb/socket issue.

This happened in my 07, first my drivers, then my passengers, i had enough with it. Wired a switching relay, to a toggle switch on my dash, to new sockets. I now run my headlights off that. Works perfect, and still fused/and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.