DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Head-on photos of aftermarket rims/tires

5K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Shots 
#1 ·
Okay, so I've done a lot of looking. As it turns out you can find oodles of photos of rims, tires, lifts, and any combination of them. The problem is they're all directly from the side of the truck, or at an angle. Nobody really takes any head-on shots, and that's what I'm looking for.

Here's my dilemma. I'm looking to swap the rims/tires on my truck. I found a set that I like (Mickey Thompson Classic III (polished, not black)). The issue I have is that the offset is -12, and my stock rim is +19. That moves the tires out 1.25" from the centerline of the truck. While this is helpful in clearing a larger tire from the suspension, I don't really need that much extra offset. A zero offset would probably be sufficient. I don't mind the extra offset, if it looks good, which is what leads me to this thread.

Of all the post, and threads about rims/tires, I'm surprised we don't have this yet.
I'm looking for shots of how far your rims/tires stick out. How wide of a stance did your set-up give you? I'm not too concerned with the actual physical measurement of width. I want to know how it looks. So post some photos of your truck from straight on, or directly to the rear, so we can see how wide/narrow it looks. I'd like to make an informed decision when buying the next set, and this will probably help others too if we don't limit it to one brand or style. Although I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone has a shot of MT Classic III's wrapped in a 11.5 - 12.5 wide tire.

PS, don't forget to tell us what rims/tires you have in the picture (specs would be best, but at least tell us what they are so we can try to figure it out). We won't be able to tell, since a true head-on shot won't show anything but truck and treads.

I'll start. My '12 on MB Chaos rims measuring 18x9 +18 offset. The tires were 285/70/18 Safari TSR.

Help me out here guys, and pitch in. I'm mostly interested in the full shot, but the close one like I have is helpful too. Lets see them.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Here is my setup....pics are close to what you said.

2014 Ram 1500 CC: 20x10 Ultra Baja Champs -24mm offset, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Tread

#7 ·
Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks guys, I'm feeling better about that -12 offset now. Keep them coming everybody.

Hey MikeG_2012, do you have another shot that shows the whole front end? The close up helps decide if a set of flares will cover it but how's the overall stance look?

#10 ·
Hey Mike G_2012,Im new on here your truck looks AWSOME!! Was wondering what the backspacing on the rim was.
Im putting a 2.5" leveling kit and 1.25 body lift on my 2011 ram with 35/12.5/18 on a 18/9 inch rim Have everything but the rims wasn't sure on backspacing and offset..
These pics and offse helped alot. Thanks

#11 ·
Hey Mike G_2012,I'm new on here your truck looks AWESOME!! Was wondering what the backspacing on the rim was.
I'm putting a 2.5" leveling kit and 1.25 body lift on my 2011 ram with 35/12.5/18 on a 18/9 inch rim Have everything but the rims wasn't sure on backspacing and offset..
These pics and offset helped alot. Thanks
The wheels I have are 20x9 with -12 offset and I believe a 5.0 backspacing

#14 ·
Thanks shots..I just got back from talking with my local tire guy.and he suggested a 18x9 rim with 0 offset with 4.5 backspacing. He said that will fit with no rubbing.
Just not sure how far out they will stick.
If everything goes well, lift will be put on next Friday and tires and rims on saturday.
Will try and post some pics on Sunday.
Thanks..

#15 ·
Yeah, doing the math a 0 offset should be 4.5" on a 9" rim. I'm not sure why MT, or the calculator are showing 4.5 for a -12 offset (according to the math they should be 5"). I may be having a brain fart and entering something wrong.

Anyway, FWIW according to the calculator a 315 wide tire, on a 9" rim with 0 offset, should put the inner edge of the tire in the same place that the inner edge is with stock rims/tires.

I also looked for 9" wide 0 offset wheels, but could only find 1 set that I liked. For the most part they were unavailable, and I ultimately decided I liked the MT Classic III better anyway, so I got those (which are -12).

#16 ·
My wheels are effectively a -12 offset with my 1.25" wheel spacers. Looks good with flares.

#18 ·
Yes, 275/60/20.

#21 ·
Thanks for the update. FWIW, I ended up buying the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (315/70/17). They actually measure 11.7 wide on a 9" rim rather than the 12.5 as the size would indicate. It's closer to the 285 width I wanted, than it is the 12.5 width the 315 implies. I assume they used the 315/70/17 classification due to the diameter. Once I put them on the truck I'll add some head on shots too, for anyone who may be trying to decide on what rim/tire combo they want.

Till then though the outer edge of the Trail Grappler on Craig's 18x9" +0 rim should stick out about the same as the MTZ on my 17x19" -12 rim.

I think my flares should easily cover them tires I got. I'm feeling pretty good about my choice now, you guys have been a huge help.

#22 ·
Looking forward to seeing the 315s. I was thinking of the same for my truck if I keep it long enough to need to replace my Nittos.

#26 ·
I don't have any photos for the full view head on yet, but I do have a close up taken in the garage while I was putting the tires on. I'll get some head on photos tomorrow in case anyone uses this thread for reference later.
I didn't put the flares on yet, because I need to wash the truck first. I got tired of waiting to put the tires on, so I'm living with the overhang until I get the truck washed and flares mounted (by the end of the week I hope).

It looks to be a bit over an inch further out, but nothing the flares shouldn't cover. Here's a comparison to the stock tire.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.