DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lifter tick?

29K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  dtracymoto 
#1 ·
Is that soft tick tick tick tick i hear when i accelerate lifter tick? If so what excatly is it and how do I fix it? I would search but im at work and cant be on the computer right now and not knowing how to fix it is driving me nuts. THANKS!

#2 ·
could be your injectors....engine ping on acceleration....bad pcv valve....could be alot of thing....does it do it cold warm hot, what rpm you hear it most....hear it more going on a flat road or up a grade....could be alot of things......

#4 ·
directly after you fixed the plenum you did do an oil/filter change or drive a few miles?....coolant all ways gets into the lifter valley down into the pan....pull your oil cap and pcv valve have look for milkshake color oil....still could be your injectors though more so if you replaced the o-rings....some metal pipe to the ear can help you pin point weres the ticking is coming from....

#5 ·
good thinking. No after the fix I let her sit for like over 24 hours to make sure the permetex cured. But i honestly cant remember if i have done an oil change since then. and i did not do new o-rings. Maybe ill try a bottle of injector cleaner or seafoam in the tank to see if that helps?

could it be pinging from the 180 stat and not getting up to temp? Could a heavier weight oil help?

#7 ·
I would try a bottle or two of Berrymans B12 chemtool in the tank...that stuff is REALLY good...if that didnt work, there is nothing wrong withadding a little atf in the oil, and running it a little bit to try and clean it up...then promptly change the oil and filter...

#9 ·
Berrysman is another of the old tried & true product. I read a test with injector cleaners & Lucas doen't rate that good. For oil I use Power Punch or Morrey's. For injector cleaning the best I have found is at the dollar stores. Their Octane Booster is also good & ONLY a BUCK.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm not too sure about the "mechanic in a can" products but Lucas does make some good additives. Saved my Camaros engine when the oil pump pickup took a day off at the track one day :mad: You really could actually feel it on the internal parts when I tore it down.

Are you sure its not spark knock? Spark knock will sound like a few marbles in a coffee can but only when accelerating. If a shot of premium gas fixes it then thats the problem. Its usually caused by overadvanced timing, poor gas or compression being too hight for the octane used.

Lifter tick is constant "tapping" but usually goes away after the truck is warmed up. Injectors can make a very similiar sound & may come & go without warning. If you gas mileage took a dump I'd be looking at the injectors.

Rod knock is the heavy thud sound that only comes on during acceleration (up a hill). I'm thinking its not that at all, but maybe more of the injector or lifter tick.

I'm not sure if the computer can limit total timing, but it may be worth a look at with the timing light.

Did you try the ole vacuume hose in the ear trick to listen to different areas? Its a old trick but works pretty good for finding a loud injector!

FYI, I'm running a 180* thermostat & have had no new noises (just the same old ones!). I think the worst thing the 180* stat would cause is a rich fuel mixture & little heat on cold days. Temp stays just below 200* all the time according to the factory gauge.

#13 ·
do an oil/filter change asap....run some mopar combustion cleaner through it per the direction on the can....

#14 ·
allright thanks guys. Im pretty sure its lifter tick cuz its quite. I can only hear it when im driving next to a building or wall and the sound bounces back in my open window. It does not sound terrible at all, just not quiet like it used to. Can a bad header gasket or crack make a sound like that?

#22 ·
Have you used anything like a metal pipe as suggested to pinpoint were this tick is coming from . Vid will help if it picks up the tick . When you changed your oil , notice any milkshake residue anywhere ? Sure its not coming from the front of the motor like a timing chain slappin around in there ?

#21 ·
Oh yeah I just put some quality fuel in mine to clean it out like E85 and purrs like something.

#23 ·
any news?

#24 ·
no oil looked good. I cant upload the video for some reason I have tried a couple different things. and no I have not tried a pipe to pinpoint cuz I really only hear it when I accelerate under load

#25 ·
ticks under load? my guess, may be the plugs are too hot. pre det. try higher octane gas

#27 ·
yah, either a cooler plug temp or just use better gas. sometimes the o2s going can also cause the engine to run lean making the ping noise on acceleration.
my prefferance: plugs autolite 3923

#28 ·
i have the same problem in my 99 5.2l dodge.. but mine only does it when its warm. I cant hear a ticking when its cold, and i also noticed when im going down a little hill and only giving it a little gas it ticks faster. I've read it could be the lifter WickedQuick was talking about or a cracked/leaking header. I also noticed its on the drivers side more.. any suggestions?

#29 ·
you probly hear it on the driver side more cuz thats the side you sit on lol. I thought the same thing until I stood on the pass. side while my girlfriend drove it by me and I heard it just as bad.

I just put in a new o2 sensor so I know thats good. Filling up with 91 O tonight after work so we will see. Either way I will probly go with new plugs, either the autolites everyone loves or the stock set.

By the way it still could be a header leak....guess that means ill have to buy some shortys :)

#31 ·
Not 'everyone' likes autolites, NGK for me and mine sir...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.