DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

faint rattling sound (more like a whistling or chirping sound)

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  dizzyD 
#1 ·
Hello, I’m new to this site, I tried searching for my problem and couldn't anything so started a new thread. I have a 2007 Ram 1500 with Hemi, and it has this squeaky chirping sound that’s driving me freaking crazy. It isn't incredibly loud, its faint. It can only be heard when driving somewhat slowly (so the engine noise doesn’t mask the sound), and usually over bumps, and radio turned off. Sounds like it coming directly from the driver’s side. The front seat passenger can hear it (when I make mention of it) and they seem to think it’s coming from the driver side as well. I’m clueless, and the dealership wasn’t any help. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I know if sand/dirt accumulate on the leaf springs you'll get a squeeking sound, maybe check that. Also check the body mounts.

#3 ·
Yeah, already checked that, leaf springs are clean and body mounts are snug, my only though was it could be power steering related (just based on where the noise seems to be coming from). I'm not having any power steering issues at all, but perhaps its causing the whistling/chirping sound. Although, it doesn't make the noise unless there are bumps in the road.

#4 ·
Have you run your hand over the door seal while you drive? Maybe cover the corner by the door/dash vent.

:dunno:

#6 ·
My thought is the whistling is coming from the door seals or one of the seals in the base of the mirror. I was going to add that I thought the chipping sound was coming from the runners under the seat or maybe the stops under the hood. You could eliminate the hood stops by turning them counterclockwise one full turn. If the noise is gone, you would then need to turn the stops back down, so the hood will line-up again, and get a new pair of stops; the rubber has dried out.

:)

#7 ·
I have something similar, it's worse when it's raining out ....

#9 ·
Check your window on the front driver's side. Do you have any small scratches or anything else that could be out of the norm? I get something exactly like this and I'm pretty sure it's caused by something involving the window rails. I noticed that when I hear it happening, I can sometimes press my leg up against the door skin near the speaker grill and get it to stop (or at least minimize it).

It's torn my tint up pretty good. I can't tell if it's actually scratched the glass or not because the tint is just a total mess where it is. I need to get in there and see what's up. I suspect it's a window rail that's gotten a little loose, or maybe the door handle mount. The window makes a slight jerk when I go from rolling it down to rolling it up, and if the window is all the way up, it doesn't make the little chirpy sound (another way to help test it). Nobody that rides with me can even hear it, but most folks that ride with me are old and don't hear very well anyway.

The marks I'm talking about are all over the lower part of the window, so I don't really know what's causing it. Most of them are in the lower left, but I've got some on the lower right too. I'm a smoker, so I leave the window cracked about 1-4" on a regular basis.

#11 ·
Does it sound more like a bolt rubbing on metal or something different? If it's something to do with the belt, it's most likely an idler pulley going out. Easy and cheap fix.

#13 ·
I went through 5 on my hemi in 83k miles. Dirt, salt and the elements in general can wear them out quickly.

Have someone sitting in the driver seat turning the steering wheel while you walk around and try to locate the sound. Also, with the truck running, move the bumper up and down to see if that creates the sound as well.

Is the sound constant or have a regular pattern or is it random?

#14 ·
Not unheard of, How long has it been going on? does it change sound pitch the faster you go or reving up? I had a problem with my rack when I got mine, 3 racks later and new hoses, the noise is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.