DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Couple of repair questions.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Moparite 
#1 ·
Had a "free" inspection a few weeks ago when I got my oil changed at a local place. They pointed out a few things that needed replacing and I wanted to do a littel research here before having the work done.

First, they said the alternator drive belt needs replacing. Is that the same as the serpentine belt? :eek:
If so, I don't see anything wrong with it but it is a little hard to tell without removing it. Should I remove it or is there some other way to tell?

Also they list V/C Gasket. Remove and replace valve cover gasket - Both sides.

i'm no mechanic so exactly what do I look for to tell if this needs to be replaced? :eek:

Lastly, ever since they did the inspection I have a "whining" noise when accelerating. Did not do this before. It's not a belt squealing. I know that's not alot of info but does that sound like anything specific I can check for?

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
alternator belts these days run forever! well almost. pop it off with a 15mm wrench. bend it both ways. if there is cracking on either side closer to 1" to each other, than most guys suggest replacing it. even if its cracked, i wouldnt replace it.
v-c gaskets! valve cover gaskets. if the motor has oil weeping down the side, most times, cause they are a standard reusable rubber gasket, the covers just need to be torqued a bit. they squash and resquash, over and over.
it sounds to me like the mech is on a fishing mission for money.
and maybe he got the belt dirty w/ oil when he was checking it out.
from the internet, actually its hard to tell. you need a second opinion or a buddy to just take a look.

#3 ·
Yeah, don't be scared or discouraged. And no, there's only 1 belt on these trucks. But not all newer vehicles- when I was doing work on my parent's Tahoe (05) I see a tiny belt waaay down on the AC compressor all by itself. But usually, cars today have the 1 belt.

Belt noises can be elusive and hard to fix. Perhaps its just dirty. Perhaps shot. Today's belts are not like old ones. In the old days if there were cracks it was shot! Modern belts wear the v groove in and eventually squeal or slip which you would notice. Look at new belts and you'll see little fuzzy grooves: vvvvvvvv these grip the ribs on the pulleys. Look at worn belts and the grooves are much deeper and smooth: VVVVVVVV that is when they need replacing. I highly recommend Gates belts. If you need any help on replacement, feel free to ask. We all started somewhere.

And leaky gasket are no big deal. Engines seep. Just part of owning a real truck. I tried to get my mechanic to replace my rear main because I noticed a little seepage, and he wouldn't do it. Ha, still just a little seep years later. He knew it wasn't bad yet. I've also got a little seepage out my valve gaskets, but its not so bad to worry. I keep a close eye on everything on my truck.

#4 ·
Thanks.

I forgot to mention I replaced the serpentine belt years ago. Probably 5 or maybe 6 years ago. So, I am doubting it's in need of replacement. Just wasn't sure if an alternator belt and serpentine belt were the same. :eek:

I'm still unsure of exactly where the valve cover gasket is. If it's something I can put a wrench on and snug down a bit, I'd prefer to try that. I just don't want to mess something up.

#5 ·
I', assuming you have a V-configuration engine with 2 valve covers, " Remove and replace valve cover gasket - Both sides." Your valve covers should look something like these blue ones:

Or these that say "Mopar Magnum":

There is one on each side of the engine and should be relatively easy to get to. Grab a ratchet with an extension and appropriate sized socket (10mm?). I believe there are only 5 bolts around the perimeter. Just tighten them snug, not real tight because you don't want to over-crush the gasket.

#6 ·
do not remove and replace.
the covers most likely have rattled loose.
snug them down.
ten bolts per side.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Do as spun said; I like to "snug" them when motor has cooled just a bit (when rubber gaskets are still warm/soft). ... Those pics a worth a thousand words.

#9 ·
5-6 years old belt is shot. Mine wear out every 4-5 as a daily driver. Its so cheap and easy to replace, just start there.

#10 ·
Well, while I was out today I stopped by advance auto. Had them look at the belt and they said it was fine.

Still need to look at the valve covers, I forgot to ask him what he thought.

I am still trying to figure out what the "whining" noise is when I accelerate. It goes away after ~10 minutes or so of driving. The guy at advance auto looked for any loose hoses, etc. but didn't see any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.