DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superchips 3842 users question

19K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ruger77 
#1 ·
I'm curious for those of you using the flashpaq 3842 for the 5.7 are happy with your performance gains and do any notice a surg type feel when shifting from mds back to into non mds (v-8). Why I ask is that My 2010 hemi had this with the flashpaq 3865. Ron at superchips advised this is the result of firmer shifting of the programmer. That firmer shift drove /surge feeling was annoying at highway speeds. (Yes I know you can deactivate mds) but I like both performance and power :laugh. I'm wondering if a smoother shift in/out mds has been achieved for 3842

#2 ·
Wow 170 views and no replies. Guess I'm the only one going to run the 3842. LOL. Just got it in the mail today. Guess I'll have mu answer soon enough

#3 · (Edited)
You just might be the only one,

Superchips popularity died well over 3 years ago with the 2011's
it took several years to get to market with current tuning when Dodge started encrypting the PCM's
Lack of support had everyone with 11'+ jumping to Diablo or BullyDog.

In today's market, custom tuning rules and only Diablo is up to the task.

#4 ·
I'm running the 3842 on my 2012 because I don't desire any custom tunning on it. I'm very happy with it. I have never noticed it going in/out of MDS. It shifts much quicker and better. Throttle response is much better and power increase is very noticible! I use to get around 9.6 to 10.8mpg towing my 7000lb Puma camper to 11.8 to 12.9mpg after the SC!! I really like my 3842

#7 ·
Running the 91 octane tune now. When I tow my camper I switch over to the tow tune. I definitely picked up 2mpg more and im not using the economy tune.

#6 ·
I ran that with my 2007. Best thing I've ever done with the shift schedule. Truck felt like a beast after the schedule. Felt like I gained 100 horsepower! Was night and day! I was so happy with the purchase!! Going up mountain roads was amazing night and day difference. LOVED IT!!!!

#9 ·
I still am running my tuner on my 07 Ram. The best thing about the tuner is being able to turn the stupid MDS off. Plus with the new transmission shift schedule changes, it shifts like a ram now, not a 1960 ford falcon. :smile

#10 ·
I just got the 3842 last week and am running the 91 tune. I love the better throttle response and more power, but there is a noticeable surge when the MDS kick out when driving on the freeway.

Has anyone run this tune both with MDS on and off for mileage comparisons? I like the power but the surge is too annoying, and if my mileage is going to suffer too much with MDS off I will just run the 87 tune so I still have the better throttle response.

#12 ·
I just got the 3842 last week and am running the 91 tune. I love the better throttle response and more power, but there is a noticeable surge when the MDS kick out when driving on the freeway.

Has anyone run this tune both with MDS on and off for mileage comparisons? I like the power but the surge is too annoying, and if my mileage is going to suffer too much with MDS off I will just run the 87 tune so I still have the better throttle response.[/QUOT]

When I turned the MDS off, I picked up 1.5 mpg. It must be that in 4 cylinder the 6,000 pound truck is to heavy to save gas. I turned it off in my truck back in 2007 when I purchased the truck. When I have put the stock back in the truck when taking it to the dealer for work, it ran like a pig, and sounded like a old tractor.

#11 ·
when I was running the 91 tune I didnt have the option to turn MDS off and I hated how it would surge. I can now turn it off and with the 87 its much better. Once I run out of 89 and fill up with 93 I will switch to the 91 tune. I have a 3.92 rear so my mileage always sucks cause I only drive for short trips around town or tow 6500lbs so I cant help with the mileage

#13 ·
cableguy: interesting you mention the surge on your 2012.. My 2010 with SC 3865 surges (which is why I started this thread), but my 2011 (with the same SC as yours - 3842) does not surge when going out of MDS on my 2011. both tunes I run are 91. Maybe each truck tranny reacts differently ? both 2010/2011 are 5 speed with 3.92 rears..

#14 ·
I don't experience any surging with my SC 3842

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.