DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge Torque Converter Install Advice

14K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  CHVYKLR 
#1 ·
Got my street edge 2800 torque converter back from edge today!:rck: Can't wait to get it installed. Any installation advice, instructions, or tips would be appreciated.

#2 ·
fantastic, i know you cant wait, let us know about the daily driving when you can, I have heard great things about that one...

#3 ·
Make sure you fill it with fluid before installing it...you never want to install a dry converter. Otherwise, just take your time and be careful under the truck. A tranny jack is a life saver, but this can be done with a standard floor jack as well. Also, a 2nd set of hands wil be veryuseful.

I almost forgot...as per Dodgetalk rules, you are required to post a tire shredding video once complete. That is all...haha.

#12 ·
Make sure you fill it with fluid before installing it...you never want to install a dry converter.
Mine kept stalling out on me and dying whenever I would come to a stop. Found out I was a quart low on trans fluid. This seemed to help the problem.

Mine still isn't shredding the tires like I expected so I'm not sure if the install was completely proper or not.

#4 ·
I was just asking someone how difficult a torque converter driveway install would be since my stock one just started slipping a bit. Let me know how yours goes.

Also, which Edge converter is it? Low-end? High-end?

#6 ·
i'm nervous about doing the install myself. if it was an older used truck, i would be fine. but, my truck has less than 13000miles. so, i'm going to wait until i find some good instructions and have a full day with nothing else to do.

#11 ·
I'm in the same boat as you. I really want to do this mod but I do not want to pay someone to do it. I replaced the clutch in my old 1998 2500 that was 4x4 and it wasnt to hard. I've also replaced the tranny and the transfer case on my old 1986 4x4. Mine being 2 wheel drive should be alot easier but like you said this is a new truck and kinda scary. If you find any info please pass it on. When you start please post pictures and any hints.

#7 ·
I have done a 2 wheel drive and it takes a good 5 hours with 2 guys and a tranny jack.

I have heard a 4x4 is a real bitch to do,sorry but just telling you what I have heard.
Im pretty sure you need another guy,and it might end up taking a couple days.

Getting it installed at a shop is a great idea if you can get a decent price.
I dont think you could screw anything up,but it is going to be a bit of a bitch I would think.

#8 ·
Best piece of advise is measure the depth of the stock converter when you drop the tranny. That way you can compare it after you install the new one. Alot of guys mess up at that specific part of the install. Make sure it clicks 3 times going on the imput shaft of the tranny.

#9 ·
:popcorn:

#10 ·
Hey guys looking to change my TC in the future, (not to derail the thread) wondering if there is any place on the web where I can educate myself about them.

What are the stock TC strengths/weaknesses? What should I look for in a replacement TC?

I'm not too worried about adding lots of performance, I'm mainly looking for better economy and read that the stock converter is a real parasitic loss machine.

Thanks for any replies.

#13 ·
a local forum member offered to help me with the install! very excited, cause the best local quote i got on tc install was $600.

#14 ·
I drove down to delaware to do the install at MGH's shop this afternoon. Mike and his friend, Tom, were beasts and had it installed (start to finish) in less than 4hrs! I was mostly getting in the way. haha At least an hour of that time was because the stock tc bolts are bigger than the holes on the edge. Mike had to drill out and retap the holes on the edge tc and then sand down the length of the bolts.
So... now you guys know that the '12 flywheel/tc bolts won't work with the edge tc.

The tc is def. the best mod I've done so far! It feels like it has power throughout the entire rpm range. Feels totally different taking off from a dead stop. You don't get that lag when you feel like somethings holding you back.
Big thanks to MGH! You guys need to check him out. He builds his own transmissions, turbo systems, and intakes. The trans he built is holding up to what all the other big name trans couldn't.
I'll update this thread with an edge street review in a few weeks.

#15 ·
It does sound like a sweet mod.

:ylsuper:

#16 ·
Thanks for the update.

#17 ·
After install... hw many miles to break it in??

#19 ·
Sweettt.. thanks

#21 ·
I'm really glad to hear it! MGH for the win...AGAIN!

#22 ·
update: still loving the tc. it is def. the best mod you can do to one of our trucks. i can spin the wheels at will, but no problem driving in normal situations. Feels like the truck has no lag and is always ready to go.
I also noticed my 0-60 times are more inline with rt's and faster than trucks my size, that don't have tc's.
The ds tuner is nothing compared to the edge tc.

#24 ·
Will one of these work with the 65RFE tranny? the edge site only listed the 5 speed. Or is it the edge for the 5 speed but drilled out like stated above. sorry if this is stupid question never upgrade a tc before. thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.