DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bilstein 7100

5K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Orton 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi im looking into getting some 7100's on my 2007 power wagon, im having some issues with finding the correct sizes collapsed and extended.

From what i have read from other posts on the 5160's which are supposed to work i have gathered these numbers.

5160 front: 25-187595
collapsed: 15.20"
extended: 25.96"

5160 rear: 25-187601
collapsed: 16.54"
extended: 28.09"

So looking into the 7100's i have come up with these to be the closest match.

7100 10" front with reservoir: AK7110R04
collapsed: 16.1"
extended: 25.77"

7100 10" front w/o reservoir: AK7110S04
extended: 25.77"

Both models the same.

7100 12" rear with reservoir: AK7112SBB
extended: 27.68"

7100 12" rear w/o reservoir: AK7112S04
collapsed: 19.53"
extended: 31.1"

quite a difference in the rears, with the reservoir shock being closer to the desired lengths.

So my issue is i would rather run the non reservoir shocks seeing as the fronts would work no differently, yet what would i need to do to make the rears work? And if im going to put the reservoir shocks in the rear, than im going to have to put them in the front as well seeing as there probably more usefull in the front anyways.

I have spent the last 2 days price searching and have found the non reservoirs for 94$ and the reservoirs for 128$ dont get me wrong both a killer price but 30 buck more a piece adds up and there both going to be much better than stock alreadys.

let me know what you guys think of this situation. more than likely i will not be going for anything less than the 7100's just for the fact of being able to buy a set of shocks and be able to rebuild them for the lifetime of my PW.

See less See more
#2 ·
You will not be able to find any shocks that are the exact same size as the OEM shocks. You will need to go slightly shorter or slightly longer.

Why do you want non-reservoirs in the front?

Also you can get, from Carli Suspension, a set of 7100's all ready to go, their Performance 2.0 shocks for a PW.

#4 ·
Why do you want 7100's, what are you looking to accomplish?

#6 ·
I have progressed up through various levels of shocks in my PW and here is what I noticed as far as performance. What valving are you thinking of getting on the 7100s?

OEM Bilstein's PW specific valving:
- compliant and absorbent but not overly soft
- some noticeable side to side sway
- when pushed hard they go right to the bump-stops
- they fade when pushed hard for a long period

Bilstein 5100's:
- somewhat stiffer than the OEM's
- a more controlled feel than the OEM's not as much side to side sway
- when pushed hard they go right to the bump-stops
- they fade when pushed hard for a long period

Bilstein 7100's with Carli Performance 2.0 PW valving:
- slightly stiffer than the 5100's
- the more you push them the better they feel
- when pushed hard they don't go right to the bump-stops but resist
- they don't noticeable fade when pushed hard for a long period

King 2.5" Pin-Tops with Carli Hemi valving:.
- like driving a high-end sports car around town
- its like being glued to the road, but you feel every imperfection
- no sway in the corners, the more you push them the better they like it
- I can do 45-50 mph down a dirt road and hit fairly sizable ruts and bumps comfortably
- on rough roads I find myself waiting for the "wam bam" on big bumps but nothing happens, just a soft thump
- no fading when pushed hard for a long period

#7 ·
im looking to get the 255/70 i was curious as to what the carli's are near but im sure thats kept private. my pw takes a good beating here and there so i dont think they would be too agressive. you think the reservoirs are crucial? I have not looked yet but im thinking i may be able to fab something up to compensate for the extra length of the non reservoir option. or just go with the reservoir and its pretty damn close of the bat.

#8 · (Edited)
im looking to get the 255/70 i was curious as to what the carli's are near but im sure that's kept private. my pw takes a good beating here and there so i don't think they would be too aggressive. you think the reservoirs are crucial? I have not looked yet but im thinking i may be able to fab something up to compensate for the extra length of the non reservoir option. or just go with the reservoir and its pretty damn close of the bat.
Unless you drive for long distances on ruff dirt roads at moderate to high speeds I don't think the reservoirs are required. The 255/70 valving is a good option plan on it being a little firm around town.

#9 ·
Hey so you have clearly changed out your shocks a few times, have you noticed if there might be room to move the top mount up or further down the line from the lower mount? Cause to make the non reservoirs work I would need to gain around 3 inches, or else there would be a chance of them bottoming on full flex correct? Seeing as there 19 inches collapsed and they need to be around 16.

#11 · (Edited)

Attachments

#12 ·
so those 7100 that you had what lengths were those?

to me it seems that the lengths are pretty important as well as the amount of stroke to the shock.

if i go with this shock:

7100 12" rear w/o reservoir: AK7112S04
collapsed: 19.53"
extended: 31.1"

when this is the size that is supposed to work:

5160 rear: 25-187601
collapsed: 16.54"
extended: 28.09"

it would be 3 inches longer collapsed and extended. meaning upon full flex the side to be compressed will actually be bottoming out 3 inches sooner, because it has the extra length, in theory you would gain 3 inches on the extended side but unusable because the compressed side would be bottomed out.

now thats just what im thinkin in my head and im not sure if that would be how it works but seeing as its solid axle +3 inches rise on one side would be -3 inches on the other.

correct me if im wrong

#13 ·
With the internal design of any rebuildable style shock you want to make sure you don't top or bottom them out it will damage the internal much easier than a regular disposable shock.

That why Carlis and most others utilize limit straps to stop an 1 1/2" before the shock fully extends.

#15 ·
You can purchase a limit strap kit from Carli you will need to weld on the bottom tabs, let the axle hang all the way down then, measure for the top strap mounting hole 1 1/2" higher.

#16 ·
Give 8lug a call. He'll set you up with the 7100's. :tup: That's what I'm running right now.

#17 ·
Oh, I forgot pictures. :D

Attachments

#19 ·
Think it was around $1,300 for all 4 from 8lug.

#21 ·
Those are the Carli Long Travel Air Bags. Gives you the ability to level your rear end while towing/hauling heavy---yet does not reduce the flex of the Power Wagon suspension. :D

#22 ·
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.