DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Turbo/Intercooler/Various parts

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  zerotosixty 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to buy an SRT4 that landed in a dealership nearby, however when I got there the car looked pretty raw. The body was mostly fine, however it had a turbo and CAI on it that did not fit the vehicle. The dealership is replacing almost all of the parts to clean up this car. I will be going to check it out again on Friday.

My question is, Why would you want to replace all of these parts? Could running the car on parts that are not made for it damage the engine at all?

The mechanic had also mentioned that the 2004 srt4 is the one year that the 3rd gear didn't have trouble shifting at times. True or False? Thanks for all your input.

#2 ·
As far as the parts go that depends on a lot of things without knowing all that is done cant really answer that question. If he didnt do his homework correctly it could hurt the engine in the long run. Now the 2004 and 2005 had trouble with third gear. All you have to do is get an aftermarket third gear selector and that will cure your problem. The stock selector was to short and it caused issues.

Go here to PWERKS to get the extender.
http://www.performanceautowerks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_55&products_id=1695

#3 ·
holy crap!! $124 bucks for a peice of aluminum????WTF

#4 ·
Many had no issues with over 100k miles with 3rd gear.. depends how you drive .. now the main problem with this trans is the throwout bearing fork which wears down quickest (also depends how you drive).. few companies sell replacement ones treated for strength.. some guys grind down the contact points and weld in a harder metal... the extender to me is more like a small fix once its messed up all ready.. shift selector can break as well with hard/bad shifting.. billet one will remedy that.. but of course it also depends on the driver and clutch you have..

The turbo, a lot of us have massive ones.. like stated, depends on other mods and if done right.. main factor is the tune.. anything I say over 400hp then you need to start working on internals.. of course I know a few guys that ran 500+ for a long time with out issues and one nut that dumped a shit load of nos on stock suiff to see how long it lasted lol.. how many miles and how much are they asking for that one?

#5 ·
I back up what has already been stated in this thread about the third gear. All years had problems with it, but it's an easy fix. Do you have pics of the turbo and CAI? The original turbo that dodge put in is too small for the motor (it can handle way more air than that little blower can produce) so it may be a good thing that the other turbo was on there. Stock internals can handle 500 horse easy without work. Just make sure that the engine passes compression testing and you're good. To answer your first question: You would replace those parts because the aftermarket for this car (excluding ebay) has proven itself over the years to be better than factory. For your second question, false, all years have the same exact tranny. It's possible that less owners of the '04s complained on consumer reports about in than '03/5 owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.