DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

piece of metal in rear diff

5K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  AIR_RAM 
#1 · (Edited)
i had axle seal leak on the rear diff. when i went to go replace the seals and removed the rear cover i found a strange piece of metal in there, there were also some smaller pieces off the same piece in there. i spun everything and it all looks in place and seems to rum smooth(without taking the whole diff out and tearing apart).
the truck still runs good with no sounds coming out of the rear end. just wondering if its something i should worry about.
and it seems my rear end is the corporate rear end. whats the difference between the dana and corporate?
i attached pictures. not to sure if they loaded up or not

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
To the OP......definitely 100% positive, its a clutch pack retaining clip.
You have a stock LSD in there.
As said above....read the VERY many and varied posts on here and the interweb in general, about the dreaded Dodge retaining clip issues. :eek:
Many people wrongly refer to them as C clip issues, so a search using those terms might give more results as well.
Upshot is, either remove all the remaining clips, as they will fail and run without them - safer - or rebuild the rear using improved clips available at your OEM stealership. But a rebuild of your diff will be necessary.
I just junked the stock crap LSD and went with a Detroit Truetrac and never had a problem since.
The DTT is a much better design, stouter and a fit and forget solution that requires no clutch slip additive as the stock LSD does.
There is another clutch style LSD called an Aurburn which has also been fitted successfully in our rears.
Slightly cheaper I believe than a DTT and they both have their + and - sides.
Take your pick and choice after researching their advantages.
Hope this helps?
Al.

#6 ·
I saw this on my last truck, took the carrier into the kitchen after ordering a new clutch pack and did it myself. Youtube is your friend. An additional friend to crank the axle to compress parts helps. It's not hard if you just want to replace that problem piece.

If you don't wanna shell out the funds for a DTT, this is a cheap and easy fix you can do at home. I had never opened a rear diff before this. Whatever mileage you have now should give you an idea of how long the factory parts will hold up.

I'm happy I didn't spend the cash on an upgrade, motor went out 25k miles later. Just a thought.

#8 ·
Got mine from Randy's Ringpinion.com

Dana 44 And Chrysler 9.25" Traclloc Clutch Kit replacement - YPKD44-PC-T/L
Image may vary from actual product
YPKD44-PC-T/L [16153] $82.35

Yukon uses higher quality materials and better techniques than OEM to ensure a longer lasting spider gear set.
Dana 44 And Chrysler 9.25" Traclloc Clutch Kit replacement - YPKD44-PC-T/L
Availability:

#12 · (Edited)
Why don't you go haunt some other web site & take all your hate with you. There's many people out there that have YUKON gears and are happy with them. You're the only one around here saying ...the sky is falling...the sky is falling..... if you get YUKON GEARS. Once you get finished running around the internet rambling on & on about how bad YUKON GEARS are for the citizens of the Earth just go back to your mirror and give yourself another kiss.

#13 ·
I don't hate yukon, yukon is simply fleecing people like you that believe well placed advertising. . I see that all day from people like you lacking between the ears.. like your dopey statements and misinformation.
If you dont want to hear the truth and fact of buying reboxed lesser quality then who is the fool..
I mean who woud spend $300 for $80?
Like that last post where it was misinformation, thats the only thing i truly hate is misinformation on all these.forums from people like you who know 0.0, thats all just the misinformation.
Making a statement about a company who knowingly uses lesser quality designs from/of other companies design and then simply spins new advertising hype, well i guess thats good..
Saying they make better stuff than dana or eaton is probably the stupidest statement ever since 1. They make nothing 2. Its sourced or reboxed from other companies.
. You can be mad at facts but, facts are truth..

#14 · (Edited)
Your facts...your truth & your state of mind. I've been looking at past threads here on Dodgetalk & you have been pushing this opinion of yours down everyones throat about "YUKON BAD" for a very long time. It makes for good theater between me and you but I'm done with all of this. I have the gear in my truck & it works fine PLUS... I'm happy with it! Good luck with your obsession against Yukon Gears but I'm sure they will survive, continue to grow & sell gear sets to dopey people... just like me, for generations to come. Sleep well.

#15 ·
What do you know of usa standard gear?
Are you aware that they have no run in process, lapping process? Cheap machining?
No you don't, do you know who usa standard is? No, you don't.
Would you pay $300 for a usa standard gear that is not machined the same as AAM, Nitro, Dana, US Gear, Precision, Visteon (neap ) and also missing the lapping/run in process?

if you were told the truth would you have still been dopey and bought a box that would and is in fact the same as giving some guy $300 and he gives you a box and either it has $280 in it or $20 & you stand to.lose 20 or 280?
Maybe you would, however ill make sure i can help rather than misinform people like you do.

Again buying yukon is EXACTLY like gambling , you stand a better chance of getting inferior stuff than getting better stuff. .
If you want to spend that kind of money than deal with companies like AAM, Dana, Visteon, Nitro, US Gear that truly make a GOOD correct product...

#22 · (Edited)
You say buying YUKON GEARS is a gamble...well, here's a newsflash......getting married is a gamble....having surgery is a gamble, betting on a sports team is a gamble...hell, most of life is a gamble. For instance, someone on this thread may buy the gears that you love the most and they could be installed incorrectly by the installer..oops...another gamble gone south!!!! At this point, I don't even care if you are right but you are very obsessed and you do need mental therapy.

#23 ·
No, the only thing i would be interested with is the misinformation coming from forums..

You do realize what these are for right???

Help.
There is no gamble in getting quality when the right information is shared and not dumb comments.
There is no gamble when you go to the right shop..
Who would go to a shop that isn't qualified to do something RIGHT!!!
Or take advice like you give... 'use a shop that works on dodge only to get your gears done" Thats stupid advice.
People go to the wrong shop that isn't qualified because they listen to misinformation on forums.
Then they get the wrong parts from further misinformation. ..
Your info is misinformation and there is no gambling on that.

#24 · (Edited)
Whatever.

#26 · (Edited)
There's all kind of threads to learn from but you have to start something here..great....... your just what this website needs another troublemaker...Supershafts has left you a wealth of info so read it again and again & again so you can make sure that you won't be misled & thanks for putting in your own nasty, poison piss daddywoody and please enjoy this website and learn. learn, learn.

#27 ·
I'm a fan of MOTIVE... and before someone says they suck.... we have been selling them for over 10 years with no gear failures due to the product itself. All issues (can still count on one hand) had been caused by installer error.

I have heard in the past that Yukon was repacked gears and are not manufactured exclusively for the Yukon brand. Just brand X in a different box. I don't know how true that is... but I have not heard of any horror stories from customers who have chosen the Yukon brand... So how bad are they really?

I will say from experience that no mater what gears you chose, they are only as good as the installer who is installing them. You will be more likely to have issues from a botched install than you would from choosing the worst possible gears from the worst possible company...

So make sure you do your homework on the installer!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
AIR RAM PERFORMANCE
www.AIRRAM.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.