DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CB's 2012 PW ST build thread

20K views 108 replies 25 participants last post by  Griffon 
#1 ·
The 8 week wait on my PW ST factory order is finally over!! Picked it up a couple days ago.

Thought I'd start my build thread with a few picks of it all brand new with 15 miles on it before I drove it home.

The dark gray grille, monochrome paint, and "tailgate only" PW decal are how the ST's come standard.

I love how it looks stock now, but can't wait to get the chrome bumpers off and have gloss black Ranch Hands on!

No inside pics yet, but loving the vinyl floor. Dropped some black Husky liners over top. They fit great and vinyl on vinyl movement is minimal.

Just had the solid rear glass swapped for a Mopar manual slider today. Much better. (Solid rear glass now for sale so let me know if anyone is interested/needs a replacement.) Also just dropped a bed mat in and put a plastic Mopar bedliner tailgate cap on the gate to give the spray in liner some added protection.

Will post more pics & write ups as mods get done.

CB

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, I've always liked solid white. Easy choice since my other fave of non-metallic desert sand/creme is a non-standard color that you have to wait until there are at least 5 total in the build queue for that color before they'll produce.

The interior is pretty much same looks-wise as an SLT, although they only offer the ST in the dark graystone/black interior. Another easy choice. There are little differences like no map light/power slider switch console overhead, no upper glovebox lid, no armrest in middle of backseat. The door panels are solid black rather than two-tone like SLT, and there's no leather wheel which I wanted since leather wheels get worn out faster with dirty hands, offroad use, etc.

Options I ordered were roof clearance lights, power TT mirrors, Uconnect, block heater, and spray in bedliner. I think that's all the options they offer on the ST anyway. The ST actually does come standard with carpet. But, just like the SLT and Laramie, the vinyl floor is a no-cost factory option.

Will get more pics up as mods come together.

#6 ·
LOL....thanks. The harder you work the luckier you get though, right?

#8 ·
Safe estimate by late May. I have all the parts sitting here. Just gotta finish my aux. switch and WiredWagon relay bank wiring/install first so I have pre-wired for bumpers/headache rack/lights to then all go on next couple weeks.

I want that additional load on the truck before it goes in for full suspension/steering upgrades so it'll be adjusted a lot closer to accurate when done.

#10 ·
LMAO...and what makes you say that?

#11 ·
Interesting----first, LOVE the truck. But the only other ST i have seen had body color fender flares. I really like the looks of the black ones on the white body color.

#12 ·
Thanks. Yeah, black flares on white are my fave.

Strange you saw an ST w/ body colored flares. They're for sure only available in black from factory.

Someone must've painted them or you were actually looking at a Laramie. Maybe someone swapped them over from a Big Horn or something too. Some of those have the body colored flares.

#15 ·
Welcome to the Power Wagon Club! That's one sharp truck. I look forward to seeing what you do with it down the road.

#16 ·
Nice! Gotta love that new truck feelin! :worthy:

#17 ·
that looks great! I gotta stop getting on the 4th gen forums as they make me want to drive to my dealer and "acquire" one lol

#18 ·
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing it modded out!

#19 ·
Man, that thing is nice. Great choice!

#20 ·
I gotta ask .... how much $$????? I can get into a base ST RAM 2500, 4X4 with the HEMI and 4.10's for $29,850...... I'm hoping for a quote around $34-35,000...

#22 ·
#21 ·
Oh, and that is one nice truck for sure! I really like the front end and with the lower area of the doors white the chrome looks better on it. Sweet Rig!!!!

Interior Pics Please .. :)

#23 ·
Thanks. Yeah, agreed the chrome bumpers don't look so bad with the solid white. Those will both be gone in a couple weeks though so it will be chrome free, save the little bit on the badges.

To answer your other question on $$, bottom line MSRP was $44,900. Chrysler Affiliate Reward pricing brought that down to $40,615, then after rebate that I locked in at time of order it came down to $37,365.

#27 ·
Thanks man. It'll actually look very similiar to your CTD when I'm done with it soon. :rck:

#28 · (Edited)
Been an insane last couple weeks but finally managed to get my aux switch bank, WiredWagon bussed relay panel and CB all hooked up in my ST.

Posting a bunch of pics here in order so hopefully easy to follow along.

To power the aux switch bank I used 2 of the 3 wires from the unused plug that was plugged into back of RAM plate. The red/white was constant hot but oh well, maybe more functional in long run as long as I don't leave things on. Used the black/green ground and left the white/green in dead plug.

I wired the switch bank according to the diagram that myoung84 and others have used (originally from M. Penrod on Diesel Truck Resource forum I believe).

The WiredWagon relay panel was built by Erik Johnson/WiredWagon in West Jordan, UT. He actually specializes in custom wiring harnesses & relay sets for Land Cruisers.
After finding out about his custom relay panel and carefully measuring clearance under the hood of a 2500 (before mine even arrived) I knew it would be a great fit for the PW to sit right on top of factory fuse box. He built mine all ground switched to be compatible with the factory aux switch bank. It has 5 35a fused relays in that water resistant case. $95 + $15 shipping for that relay panel is unbeatable, and his workmanship is awesome. I prewired 4 of the 5 to connect all 4 aux switches, although I'll only use aux 1 & 2 (yellow & orange wires visible) for time being on front/rear lighting.

Once I got dash panel off I realized how much dead space the ST has underneath radio. Perfect place for the remote control box of my CB. There was already a small hidden hole at bottom of that dash panel I could run the CB mic out of once I Dremel'd it out just a touch.

Ran all the aux switch wiring, CB power leads, and coax all in one loom out from behind dash along edge of vinyl floor (tucked in nice) over to drivers kick panel area. Split the coax out there since it will go to back of cab where antenna will be. Then ran rest of wiring through that tiny unused rubber wire boot in firewall.

Had to cut tip off that and split a bit to accommodate the bundle I passed through it but it's a super tight, noise free fit I didn't have to drill any holes for. (Putting that bundle through there and keeping it loomed on the interior was a real pain but worth all the effort.)

The CB negative & positive leads can be seen in gray heatshrink coming out of the loom that runs along the battery so they're connected directly to it. Then connected the single hot lead (that has a built in fusible link) for the relay bank to the hot side of the battery too.

Nice to have the factory look in the end but, man how hard would it be for Chrysler to just offer those switches as a factory option like Ford does??

Up next week are the full Ranch Hand treatment along with all the suspension/steering upgrades. Also planning on 35/12.5/17 BFG KM2's instead now that Wrangler Dura Tracs in 315 are apparently on national back order. They were priced too good to be true so not surprised. Oh well, wanted to try them but the BFGs are actually a better fit all the way around for the PW anyway.

Attachments

#29 ·
Remaining pics....

Attachments

#30 ·
Nice job with the install, everything is coming along nice and it all looks professionally done. I really like the relay box, mine are already mounted and wired for two inside the truck for interior stuff and two in the engine compartment for exterior stuff, but if I knew about this I probably would have went the route you did so they would have been waterproofed.
I am going to install the same CB radio you have so thanks for the great install pics. Any information/ pics of the antenna you used and how you installed it would be great.

Keep the mods coming!!

#31 ·
Thanks man! Yours is coming along quite nicely as well. It's cool to to watch a bunch of new trucks on similar mod paths progress together.

I was glad to know about that relay box through my Toyota connections and was excited to know it fit under the PW hood with lots of room to spare. Very little other good space to mount relays in these things.

Yeah, the gasket seal on that box is insanely tight. Apart from complete submersion it should remain moisture free. I'll snap a couple pics with the cap off and post up.

I've used the Cobra 75 for years with no issues so hopefully just as reliable on this rig. I didn't post the antenna/mount pics because it's not on yet. Will post pics of it all once done.
Waiting for the headache rack to go on this week as the antenna will go on that. Coax will run underneath plastic door sill panels then behind back seat and out little existing hole through plastic vent louvers on lower rear cab and up.

**Couple things to note when mounting the CB control box to a plastic surface as done here.
Cobra recommended I add another ground wire to the box because of that. That's the short black ground visible in install pics behind dash. Just built one with ring connectors & heatshrink then attached to factory ground point there.

I also zip-tied the connected mic & control box cable to an existing metal anchor hole down in bottom of that empty space behind dash. This "suspends" that cable to prevent it rattling against lower inside part of dash.

Only minor drag here is I'm pretty sure I'll have to take dash back off to check SWR on CB once antenna is on. I might have a work-around for that as my antenna coax is actually split in two and the break falls near back seat where easy to get to. We'll see. The coax off back of control box is a little tight to get to as well.

Lots more mods to come...

CB

#32 ·
I saw you had your stock suspension up for sale- so where's the pictures of the truck with the lift installed?

#33 ·
I figured it wouldn't take you guys long to call me on that. LOL

I got the new stuff installed last week but then had to take off right away on another trip. Didn't have time to take any pics yet, but will this weekend and post up.

Drives awesome and looks great. Although it's only up about an inch, it's the ride and handling that is hugely improved. Even with much heavier bumpers and 35" KM2s. Will be interesting to see how much the new suspension settles over a little time. Just guessing I'll lose a 1/2 inch or so.

Will post 'em up as soon as I can get some good ones taken.

Have a good'n.

CB

#34 ·
What package did you go with? You're making it hard for me to resist giving a bunch of money to Carli!

#35 ·
Yeah, it's worth it! Carli doesn't sell direct so best to go through 8 Lug Truck Gear online.

Kept it pretty basic but went with the following:
Front:
Hemi coils ("3-4" lift for non PW")
Bilstein 5100s matched to these
Upper/lower Chromoly control arms
Adj. track bar
Low mount steering stabilizer (wanted their high mount but it won't work with Smart Bar)
Upper/lower ball joints
Front diff guard

Rear:
Progressive full leaf packs
Bilstein 5100s

It only netted me about an inch, but nicely clears the 35" KM2s and the ride/handling is very "crisp" with the added weight. Rides almost level with the additional weight of tools, recovery gear, portable compressor, hi-lift, shovel, etc in toolbox. Haven't had chance to fully load with gear, fuel/water cans, etc. We'll see soon.

Will get pics up as soon as I can!

CB

#36 ·
May one ask how much $ you donated to Carli?

#38 ·
Haha...you can just add up the price for each of those pieces on 8 Lug's site.

#41 ·
I'm really looking forward to your pictures. I would love 35" tires when the stock tires wear out, but I'm nervous about lifting the truck and messing with the death wobble. Carli is top notch stuff so I have to believe that won't be an issue for you. I had resigned to the fact that my next set of tires would be 34x11.50's but your thread may end up costing me more money.

#42 ·
Yeah, will get pics up this weekend. I really don't expect to have to deal with any death wobble issues since I replaced most of the key components that lead to it while it still has less than 300 miles on it. I chose to leave the stock sway bar end links and tie rod ends in place to at least get some mileage out of them. As long as they hold up for awhile I should be fine.

Funny thing about those 35" KM2s as well. It's amazing how quiet they are at freeway speed when you can literally feel every lug while at a very slow roll.

#43 ·
Truck's not even clean, but wanted to get some pics up. Driveway is more sloped than you can tell so giving the truck a bit of lean.

Also added :

DT Pro Fab steering brace

Diamond Antenna K400 3/8 CB mount on headache rack w/ Francis antenna. Routed loomed coax underneath cab door sills inside then out of cab behind rear seat back.
More detailed pics of all that to come once I get SWR issue ironed out. It's driving me insane! Can't figure out if I have a short in the mount or what deal is. SWR is about 2.75:1 in lower channels and about 3:1 or just over at channel 40. Not sure if I should just use my 5.5' antenna instead of 4'. Of course my 5.5' antenna is back in Utah.

Probably didn't gain any approach/departure angle advantage with those bumpers, and could well have lost ground. Oh well, lots more protection.

Had to have the skid plates adjusted to lowest most position in their slots to accommodate additional droop of rear. Still have ~1.5" clearance driveshaft to brace at full droop.

Also pleased to say front/rear lockers and swaybar disco are working immediately/flawlessly. Hope that doesn't change.

Stay tuned...more mods still in the works.

CB

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.