DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

88 360 To 90 318 Swap

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  touge_ram50 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 ramcharger 4WD AUTO with a 318 FI, I recently got it hot with radiator problems. It blows white smoke out the tail pipe, but not all the time. I must have a head gasket or cracked head issue. I am thinking about trying Barrs Stop Leak to buy me some time, let me know what you think about this.
The 90 Ram has over 150k on it and I do want to spend much $ to patch up a problem on a tired doggy engine. I have an old retired city truck that I bought for $300 a 1988 250 PU 2WD AUTO with a 360 4BL. I would like to put the 88 360 in my 90 318.
I would like to rebuild the 360 with a torque'er cam and better exhaust. I would also like to keep the FI on the 318 because it starts great in any weather. So it would be a big help if any one could clue me in on problems that I could run into with this transplant. Will the FI work on the 360, are 318 and 360 TBI's different. I have noticed on other post that there is a torque converter issue between 318 and 360. I could go to carberator if the FI is a lost cause. Thanks bpb,

#2 ·
No Barrs Leak! That stuff will goop up your entire cooling system.

You will need the torque converter for a 360 and also you will need to use the engine mount brackets for the 360 as well. Other than that it's a bolt-in swap.

I'm not a big fan of TBI fuel injection, so I would recommend an Edelbrock Performer intake and Edelbrock 600 4bbl. carb. w/electric choke. Edelbrock also makes a matched cam for the intake and carb. Mopar Performance sells the electronic ignition kit with distributor, ballast resistor, ignition module, and harness. You'll need this since your going to be eliminating the computer.

www.summitracing.com

#3 ·
I recently got it hot with radiator problems. It blows white smoke out the tail pipe, but not all the time. I must have a head gasket or cracked head issue.

i have a 1988 dodge ram 50 that does it too is it a head the guy replace the head gasket so if it is a cracked head where do i get another one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.