DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold weather the problem?

804 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Moparite 
#1 ·
I got a 95 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 in it. Lately when it's cold(6 degrees low and 25 high give or take) I've been having trouble getting it to start and stay running without putting heet in the tank. Also can hear a tick until the motor gets real warm and it's got a rough idle.

Already done a full tune up and no plugs are fouled out and it's leaking no fluids. So I'm wondering if maybe the fuel pump is going out and allowing condensation into the tank and it's freezing and maybe the tick is a lifter and I should change the oil and put 5w-30 instead of 10. And maybe my rough idle is from my converter being plugged up? As I've failed emissions and they keep telling me that's why I need to do

Please help me!

#5 ·
Ya, a little confusion happens sometimes, lol; if you click on the 24 in the link you'll get more/expanded/test info, here it is

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/Fault-24.htm

... "Rough idle" could be ignition; or valve/s; testing intake vacuum may help (and "might" help find bad cat), or compression test.

... The "hard dump" might help (and grounding pos cable as instructed clears PCM for you); here it is (it's taken from post 9 in the link below it)>>>

=============================================
From a past DT thread...

You can do what is often called a "hard dump".

We (techs) often do this when we need to totally reset the ECU and either don't have the proper tool close by (too lazy to walk to toolbox and get it) or just are "in a hurry".

First, disconnect positive+ battery cable at the battery and ground it to the chassis. Yes, the POSITIVE CABLE.

Wait a few seconds, 30 won't kill ya.

Now reconnect the positive cable. Careful, no sparks now.

Get in the vehicle, turn ignition key to on (run) position, now depress fully and release the gas pedal 5 times to set the TPS to WOT. (Make sure the floor mats do not keep the pedal from going WFO)

Turn the key to off, wait a min, and you should have cleared everything in the ECU except for the factory programming.

The hard dump does not effect the (factory) alarm, the only thing I noticed is my radio presets, as this method came from a working Chrysler tech, I doubt if there are any negative effects.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5509113#post5509113

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.