DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do I need a new pcm?

4K views 43 replies 4 participants last post by  mylestone 
#1 ·
I've tried everything to stop my van from just stopping like someone throwing a switch. Lately I went for a drive and it while stalling tried to keep itSELF running! It was almost dead but it caught the last rotation the ignition turned on and it increased the throttle to keep running. It did die after that. I have replaced the transmission position sensor, distributor crankcase pickup coil, rotor, cap, distributor coil wire, cleaned the battery terminal. I now get a po 351 error code but once I let it run for 1/2hour it disappears. It runs fine till it decides to die. And lately it does restart after 3 minutes of cranking. Most times it restarts right up after all the parts I have replaced. I have a coil On the way but I think it's the pcm after all the creative things it's doing. HELP, HELP MY FRIEND!!!!!!

#2 ·
both times I got p0351, it meant the internal voltage regulator in the PCM fried.

#4 ·
I had a extra battery connected along with my starter battery all wired with a isolator I think. It didn't charge both batteries so I disconnected everything and taped up the cable that hooked up too the alternator to the battery then I wired the alternator to the battery directly with heavy 00gauge braided copper cable. The old cable that originally was connected to the alternator was taped up and not used. Should I reconnect the stock alternator cable and remove by heavier cable that I ran from the alternator to the battery direct? Would that fix my stalling issue? Help guys!

#6 ·
There is a fix it kit for $70 but where can I get a pcm cheap everyone here knows the best sites. What about my disconnected alternator wire should I reconnect it and remove the heavy cable I replaced it with!? Maybe that's the issue causing it. I can reconnect the original battery battery feed from the alternator and remove by big cable. Just for kicks I always get 14.96 volts to the battery. What's the best price for a pcm!

#7 ·
Who knows the cheapest warranted ECM OUT THERE? I'VE BEEN ON LINE FOR 3 HOURS ROCK AUTO HAS ONE FOR $270 I THINK I SAW AN EBAY FOR $85 ALL THE WAY TO $440 FROM SOME ROBBER. YOU GUYS ALWAYS KNOW WHERE TO GET A ECM CHEAP AND UNDER WARRENTY I OWN A 97 DODGE B2500 VAN 3.9 LTE, AUTO, W, /AIR HOPEFULLY THIS WILL END THIS NIGHTMARE!!!!!

#8 ·
#9 ·
Funfair 02 when your ecm died did your van stall as well? My van dies and rolls to a stop now. After replacing a number of replacement parts my van now restarts after a little while. Did replacement of the voltage regulator stop the stalling at speed and idle? I thought I had a 1 wire alternator. Are there 2 other wires connected to the alternator.

#14 ·
Alloro if I get a new ecm should I reconnect the alternator connection I disconnected. And I don't remember a 2 wire plug going to the alternator, do I have one!? Plus at the battery I get 14.95 volts on a 7 year old optima. Should I disconnect the heavy wire I replaced the stock wire with? It goes directly from the battery to the alternator
Thanks

#15 ·
Teh141785180
Service or model #
P58040370AE
on the top is Teh141785180 it's 5 degrees here today but behind a wire bundle I found these numbers. I'm also half blind and that's the best I could make out!
It also has a separate sticker that says 370AE
Myles Mcswiney

#16 ·
I borrowed $200and got a programed to the Vin # from a place called neat auto. It's warranted 1year and hopefully fixed my stalling and intermittent heater blower. Alloro should I remove my big cable from the alternator to the battery? I couldn't find a 2 pin connector for the voltage regulator on the alternator so hopefully I won't blow this ecm voltage regulator! What should I do guys? I don't want to blow up this ecm at least not in the next year! Owning a van is as expensive as my RC hobby!

#20 ·
Hi

Alloro do you know for a fact my alternator has a 2 wire pickup plug for voltage regulation
I didn't see one just the single stock alternator terminal which I will put back on the alternator. I will remove the heavy gauge battery to alternator wire I installed.i don't want to blow the new ECM.did I but the wrong alternator in it only has one wire which I tested and it didn't register voltage to the positive terminal just the neg terminal on the battery so I gathered it was the original alternator connection. Plus it's the heaviest wire anywhere near the alternator.
Wish me luck the ECM arrives mon or tues.then I have a reliable truck again.at least I learned a lot about dodges like buy a chev next time regardless of how cheap the van is.why are conversion vans so expensive!!!!!!!!!!!where can I buy a conversin van without 1,000,000 miles on them. Cheap?

#25 ·
Alloro I just had to take it for drive after I put the new coil in. Now I have a blower that turns itself on and off without me touching a thing. I thought it might be the resister connection but it snaps on all by itself. And the stalling is getting more frequent but before it dies the current to the coil snaps on saving it. It always starts now it just doesn't stay running.
I was thinking about the alternator connection. I bet the 2 pin connector is connected to the wiring harness not the alternator. It must be in the harness as my alternator has only one bolt to connect too on it. I bet the 2 pin connector is lying next to the intake manifold already connected. But not to the alternator.

#29 ·
True, now I'm thinking the viper auto start feature might be the cause of the intermittent stalling. But I went for a short ride yesterday and it stalled a lot more. I checked the codes and po 351 was back. This morning was a horror show!!! Click, click! So it's on the charger and no start at all! The blue light for the auto dart was on so I tried it and it did fired a couple of strokes. But it still hasn't started. I tried my mr heater big buddy to heat the cabin but it must be too cold for the propane!!! (good heater Hugh?) I had to put the 25 lb bottle in hot water to get any heat!!!!! Then I gave up and went inside to heat up. When I returned I tried the heater and got a fireball 3 foot in diameter when it caught!!! I have to find a heater that works in the cold next!! So hopefully tomorrow I'll get a new ecm can I run it with the big cable from the alternator to the battery as its too cold to work here! - 8.4at 6am!!! Or should I wait till the cable is removed. Still smoking in Peabody!!!!! Ha ha!

#33 ·
Another great day, my Mr heater big buddy shipped to bed! - 5 degrees here this morning plus I stopped smoking Monday so you know what I'm going through. I put the charger on it and turned the key, it started for 1 minute! Then nothing but spinning! At least the po 0505 code disappeared now I have ol po 0351 back! I started to move things out of the way for the new ecm and vacuum hoses snapped left and right because of the sub zero Temps !!! Should I remove the neg battery terminal before installing the new ecm? If it runs I will get down on my knees and praise the Lord then hit auto zone and get some rubber vacuum lines to repair the plastic ones that snapped. Any advice on installing the new ecm!? Pray for me guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.