DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should we or shouldn't we buy this

848 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Moparite 
#1 ·
Looking for a replacement snow plow truck for our unreliable 98 Chev K2500 and this came up.

For sale is a nice Dodge 4x4 2500 3/4 ton truck with plow. 8 foot box standard cab. the plow is a western 7 1/2 foot blade with wings and new cutting edge. Truck has 131,000 miles on a 360 v8 and auto transmission. Rebuilt front end some rust. phone 715-551 zero five nine six. Bad transmission. needs to be hauled. Make me an offer

So I contact the seller and take a look. Needs rockers, inners and outers, cab corners, in and out, door bottoms, bed repair panels, door hinge pins, transmission is junk (cracked case)and transfer case leaks as does the rear pinion seal.
Motor runs good but is covered with oil residue and everything is dirty, fluid wise.
Now if this was a $500-750 thing that would be ok, but seller says $1700 minimum as is.
None of what it needs is undo able in our shop but is this a realistic price for the truck?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
NO! Add up the cost of getting it at least driveable plus the cost of the truck and what do you get? For that price you can probably find one in better condition for less. The price of the plow needs to be factored in depending on where you are. You cant give them away in Florida but in Maine they may go for a premium. A lot depends on where you are but still say no. I can find better ones being parted out for less and in better condition where i am.

#3 ·
I had my shop guy do a little build/repair cost thing and it came up to $5415.79 at his price. Here's our study of it

Looked at the truck for sale and here's the cost rundown you asked for:

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 rebuild costs/value list:

Value: from KBB, private party,
Good Condition, valued as:
Ram 2500 4x4, SLT package with cruise, power windows and locks, tilt wheel, premium sound, tow package and snow plow
KBB says $3495.00

Repairs Needed:
Assuming good no repair or fluid change needed driveline, no oil leak engine/ transfer case/axles and good brakes:

Transmission 46RE

Rebuild- By Nylint trans
$1758.45-1yr warranty
Cousinuoe auto-
$874.00 w/6 mo warranty,
Limited availability
Hilltop Auto-
$500 , no warranty and Unknown milage

Tires and wheels-
Acceptable condition but less than ideal for intended work load.

Rust and body:
Assuming good cab floor panels and mounts:
Prices from US Body Supply

1 pair outer rocker panels
$147.89
1 pair inner rocker panels
$119.31
1 pair cab corners
$97.49
1 pair inner cab corners
$88.27
1 pair lower front fender repair panels. $108.99
1 pair rear wheel arch repair panels. $198.79
1 lower rear bed support.
$69.99
Also- door bottoms and hinges require attention.

Paint/Primer and supplies will run around $650.00

Labor would be at least 68 hrs
From start to finish.

It's your call but do take this in consideration, as the asking price of $1700 will put you well beyond budget with no way to recover your outlay in case of accident or loss.

Cory

#5 ·
Rear pinion leaking, but has it been run (plowing) on loose pinion brgs???; expect a worn t-case chain too; frt axle is D44, am guessing D60 (V10, Cummins) is more suited to carrying a plow; new frt end or not, are there oil leaks at the ends of frt axle tube?????
... Scrutinize this closely; what is the plow worth, mounted; and you need a trans for rebuild, and haven't touched anything else at all!!!!
... Am "guessing" as a rusty old plow truck it was neglected and just patched then just run till something blew up; much prefer to drive before purchase to get a warning/feel if it has other issues; anyway springs, unit brgs, trac-bar, steering box, andddddd; it better have a "steering brace" too or that's another cost for you. my02

#8 ·
Offered him $650 today via telephone and "click' dial tone.
Snow plows like the western he has go from $200-500 around here.
Even as a parts truck what do you have? A questionable 5.9 magnum that I can get for $200 in yards around here, possibly $200-250 for the 1/2 worn and sidewall scuffed wheels/tires. Even the windshield has a small crank, pass mirror glass held in by tape.
I love the gen 2 Rams but other than having the correct mount and controller for the 9'11" western plow I have and the right size truck for it this one would be a scrapyard build at best and seeing I got hung up on today it's off my shopping list

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.