DodgeTalk Forum banner

What ya got?

Votes: 516 38.5%

Votes: 826 61.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.

What ya got under the hood?(318 or 360 cubic inches)

129K views 566 replies 395 participants last post by  Womack88 
#1 · (Edited)
Always wanted to know.Thanx.

#102 ·
360 all the way! 180,000+ still rollin' only problems on the truck have been steering and suspension nothin ever serious with the motor

#103 ·
Hey big bucks, thats pretty good. I drove thru montana on my way to my duty assignment,(AirForce), with my best buddy and we were in his car at the time. We drove from Ft. Wayne Ind. to Sacramento Calif. we were in his 69 Dodge Charger R/T 440-4, black with gold stripes, a fresh bottle of Nox, four cases of brew, whiskey,(that was a mistake), we camped out in the desert and spent one night in a rainstorm got lost,(dozens of times), got the cops called on us, had our booze stolen,(they took nothing else)! Montana was really cool from what I remember. I definitely will go back there and party with you wild cowboys again!!!

#110 ·
My first car was a 67' Chevelle SS with matching numbers,super sport hood scoop and Rally wheels. This car was tit's but I never got to fire it up because after I finished with the restoration on the interior I went to Juvenile Hall and my fu@*#!? dad was mad at me so he sold it for 1,500 dollars. I still hate him and it was 10 years ago. Put a pic of your 64' up because even though this is Dodge Talk, older Chevelle's kick so much ass. :rck:

#114 ·
360 here, 318 doesn't cut it for the 2500's. It won't stay 360 cubic inches for long though, I foresee a stroker crank and overbore in the not too distant future.

#116 ·
threetwos said:
I-6 for 2500s preferably built by Cummins Engine!

I had always said that if I were to think about a stroker in this truck, that I would swap a 359 in instead. But seeing as the big C is more than worth it's weight in gold, I'll pass. The truck is a playtoy, nothing more. The money maker, semi, that's a different story.

#118 ·
threetwos said:
kas83, I would LOVE to put a cummins ISB6t in my Power Ram but like you I would have to spend many thousands just to upgrade the driveline and chassis/brakes, might as well buy a used cummins.
That's the whole thing, after paying for the motor, you still have to upgrade everything else too. For me, the whole drivetrain still needs to be upgraded, minus the front axle. That Power Ram would do great with the 3.9 4BT, the truck is light enough, and would do excellent mpg wise. That's honestly what I'd like to see, a truck built for economy rather than power. That little 4BT would still be able to do everything the V8's could, while getting 3 times the mpg.

#119 ·
kas83 said:
That's the whole thing, after paying for the motor, you still have to upgrade everything else too. For me, the whole drivetrain still needs to be upgraded, minus the front axle. That Power Ram would do great with the 3.9 4BT, the truck is light enough, and would do excellent mpg wise. That's honestly what I'd like to see, a truck built for economy rather than power. That little 4BT would still be able to do everything the V8's could, while getting 3 times the mpg.
Thats a great idea but would the public go for it? The Jap/korean market would be a formidable opponent. Remember the ram50 and the ramCharger car/truck? Didnt make it. It seems as the majority anymore want power and economy,(they could care less how an engine works), Remember Dodge used to build job rated trucks and had as many as 137 different configurations, today they have to "platform" everything to make a profit and please shareholders like Kirk Kekorkian. ;)

#121 ·
I have the 360 in my 1997. I can tell you it's stock performance is way way way more than enough for me considering my last car was a 1990 Toyota 4runner. I am pretty happy with my truck, and I wasn't going to consider one with the 5.2, even though they are legendary motors.

#122 ·
Thats ok B-rad the 360 is the same engine except for the bore size, stroke and diameter of the crank mains. The 360 is just as "bulletproof", only weak point is the timing chain,(stretches), and Ma MoPar has a 35.00 fix for it. Unlike gm,phord,toyota the MoPar small blocks never used cheap cast iron connecting rods with weird valve angles, tissue paper cylinder walls,(ford), and junk valvetrains,(gm). The MoPar smallblocks will easily go 200k if reg. maintenance is adhered to.

#123 ·
Yeah, I know the 5.2 is basically a destroked version of the 5.9. I just wanted to have more HP starting out. I don't really see myself having money to spend towards performance, so the bigger one seemed more logical. I still would have taken a 5.2 if I had to though, since I had no room to complain going from a japanese made suv with 215K miles on the orignal motor and tranny, with stock power ratings at 150Hp and 180ft lbs, to an american made beast truck with a V8 and almost double what I had before. But anyways, I love dodge's, and I don't care what their problems are, they look the best, and have more power stock than the rest. And they sound better too.

#124 ·
97 ext. cab 2wd 5.9

#125 ·
The 5.2 isnt a de-stroked 360 the mains are different as well as the bore size. The 360 is even better than the 340 for Heavy Duty use, the 340 is a high rpm screamer due to the unshrouded valves and good head flow. The best heads were on the 360 TBI"s though.I know what you meant though and yes the 318 is a great engine!

#126 ·
Got's me a 318 in mine.....and I luv it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.