Status
Not open for further replies.

2006 Ram QC Revealed

7K views 54 replies 33 participants last post by  SHADOW QUAD CAB 
#1 ·
http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=12594

Chrysler takes wraps off all-new Ram pickup

Reuters / June 16, 2005

CHELSEA, Mich. (Reuters) -- Chrysler gave automotive journalists a sneak peek on Thursday at its all-new Dodge Ram 1500 pickup truck, which comes equipped with fuel-saving technology and goes on sale in the fall.

The U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler took the wraps off the truck, which is key to its future profits, at its closely guarded proving grounds in this rural town west of Detroit.

Like the model it replaces, the rugged 2006 Ram packs a 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 engine, which generates 345 horsepower and gives Chrysler bragging rights as the maker of the most powerful light-duty pickup on the market.

But the new truck also comes with a standard cylinder deactivation system, which allows the engine to alternate seamlessly between V-8 mode and four-cylinder mode when less power is in demand.

Chrysler says the system, which it already offers on other vehicles including the Hemi-powered version of its 300 sedan, can improve fuel economy up to 20 percent.

That should be welcome news to consumers, as U.S. gasoline prices continue to hover near record highs.

Chrysler spokesman Colin McBean cautioned that fuel savings on the new truck, as gauged by what he called the conservative estimates of the Environmental Protection Agency, may only work out to about one mile per gallon, however.

Four-wheel-drive versions of the current Dodge Ram 1500 get a fuel-thirsty 13 miles per gallon in city driving and 17 miles on the highway.

Big pickups are bread-and-butter vehicles for Detroit's automakers and the Ram, Chrysler's best-selling truck, has long been a profit engine for the company.

The full Ram pickup line, including heavy-duty trucks, is also the volume leader at Chrysler, accounting for about 426,000 units of production last year, according to Jeff Brodoski, an analyst at J.D. Power and Associates.

U.S. sales of the Ram have slipped 7 percent so far this year, however, amid growing competition in the full-size pickup segment, and consumer incentives on the outgoing model were ratcheted up recently to $3,500 per vehicle.

"The segment is getting more and more crowded. The segment is getting more and more competitive," said Jim Hall, an analyst who tracks the auto industry at Autopacific Inc.

He said there was a potential for some customer dissatisfaction with the fuel savings on the new truck, since many drivers may fail to get the 20 percent boost in fuel economy.

But Hall added that Chrysler and its Dodge nameplate have a lot working for them with the Ram, however, which will have an even bolder "big rig" exterior than previous models and an all-new frame and suspension.

"Its got its own visual character that's sort of free and clear of the rest of the competitors," Hall said. "It means that you have the potential for loyalists who just like the way the damn thing looks, and that's always a plus."

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The new rims aren't bad....but damn that grille is UGLY!!!

#5 ·
#6 ·
look at where the hemi logo is!

#8 ·
lol yeah

#9 ·
I like the flat bottom on the headlights soo much better.but the grill has to go. the way it looks you could fit a 2nd gen hood grill and bumper on it, with the bumper being slightly modified for the flat lats.

#10 ·
It's about time ditch the TB suspension. I actually don't like the headlights at all, I like how the ones now indent in the bumper.

#11 ·
It really looks like they raised the headlights up, effectively minimizing the "freightliner look" made so popular by this truck. There is also an excess of yellow in the headlights which I don't care for. I also think the new placement of the hemi logo and ram's head are stupid. The current hemi emblem is odd but at least it's on the same level as the other side badges and not just "tossed on there somewhere"

#12 ·
yeah, i like the headlights we have now that indent with the bumper... those ones are ugly... the front bumper isnt bad though in my opinion... oh well... whatever...

#13 ·
Everyone that wants to get a new truck, go buy up the 05's before they're all gone. Why did they have to do that to a perfectly good looking truck?

#14 ·
I like the interior of the 06's, I do not like the durango/dakota look at all.....why ruin a good thing.....glad I got my 04....

#16 ·
Don't like the lights or bumper
Grill is OK

New Dakotas and Durangos really look sharp IMHO

#17 ·
It will eventually grow on us all. I would like to see one all sported up! Give it time, the 6.1 L will soon be fitted. Then, lets see how many like it. There was a time when DCX said that the 1500's weren't going to get the HEMI and it eventually happened.

#18 ·
I dont like it at all... Why change a good thing when its woking for them? I think its time for them to CHANGE MANAGMENT... its obvious they have LOST direction. Too bad... I had thought they where on the right track. I guess they had to do somthing to help chevy increase its sales...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#19 ·
AIR_RAM said:
I dont like it at all... Why change a good thing when its woking for them? I think its time for them to CHANGE MANAGMENT... its obvious they have LOST direction. Too bad... I had thought they where on the right track. I guess they had to do somthing to help chevy increase its sales...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Sorry Air_Ram, I don't agree with you. The RAM would not be what it is today if Dodge did not take chances. The worst thing for Dodge would to get stuck in a time warp. They have to change to stay competetive. That's just the way the auto industry is. I think management is doing the right thing. This is not even too drastic of a change. The grill will grow on us!

#20 ·
Its not that they changed... its HOW they changed... I agree its NEVER good to sit and wait ... I beleive on being PRO-ACTIVE not RE-ACTIVE and this is how you stay on top... but come on, there is no way they where thinking clearly on this one. Again all this is going to do is boost CHEVY truck sales.... you watch... they where in a slump these last few years (since the 3rd GEN Ram) ... and they will be comming out of the slump as the 2006 Ram is released....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#21 ·
AIR_RAM said:
Its not that they changed... its HOW they changed... I agree its NEVER good to sit and wait ... I beleive on being PRO-ACTIVE not RE-ACTIVE and this is how you stay on top... but come on, there is no way they where thinking clearly on this one. Again all this is going to do is boost CHEVY truck sales.... you watch... they where in a slump these last few years (since the 3rd GEN Ram) ... and they will be comming out of the slump as the 2006 Ram is released....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

I agree, they won't be offering their GM employee discount for much longer. I could deal with the headlights, but I hate the grill and I hate the bumper. I really wish the hadn't take the "bumps" out of the headlights. The size of them doesn't bother me so much as it did when I first saw it, but God, they could have designed this truck to look sooo much better!

#22 ·
I see a lot of info on the 1500, does anyone know if the 2500 is also getting a redesigned frame and the suspension upgrades? Does DCX typically put out separate press releases for the 1500 vs. 2500/3500? Is there anything that the 1500 is getting that is not going to be available on the 2500 (other than the megacab only being 1500).

#24 ·
AIR_RAM said:

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Well Chevy/Gm have outsold Ford these last years and their sales were up this year while Dodges were down so I don't know what slump your are talking about

#25 ·
I don't think the grill looks all that bad. It was the head light assembly that I did not like. I had a chance to go up to one the other day since I live across the Detroit River. I saw it near the DCX research and development plant. Its not all that bad. With some custom mods, you still have the badest truck on the road.
The HEMI badging is pretty cool too. The interior is nice also. I have yet to see the leather package.

#26 ·
uncbob said:
Well Chevy/Gm have outsold Ford these last years and their sales were up this year while Dodges were down so I don't know what slump your are talking about
Ohh.... its the one thats been on the news lately. Bad enough that GM is laying off employees... They did not out sell anyone this past year...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.