DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auxiliary switches for the 4th Gen Ram?

96K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  fireman10584 
#1 ·
For those of you who have put in auxiliary switches for lights and other things, where have you mounted them? I haven’t taken delivery of my 2012 Ram Power Wagon yet, but I’m starting to plan ahead. Any pictures would be a huge help!

#2 ·
I'll snap a pic tonight.

#3 ·
I mounted my switches, which are for my emergency lights for the FD, right where your right knee area is...I just used some double sided tape and stuck it right to the plastic and it works great..ran the wires down nice and neat and thru the little rubber grommet to run to the outside..

#7 ·
That's what I want! Anyone have the number laying around...? I've got 2 sets of 5" KC's on order and want to use a factory style switch in the dash with the others.

#17 ·
so I assume the pigtail that plugs into that switch from mopar has leads for all 4 of the aux buttons....how else would you be able to wire crap to them?

#18 ·
I might want to say that the factory switch above may not handle light current, so only use with a relay.

#20 ·
Looks great, but I am not that good with wireing so bear with me. Just to be extra clear, that Pig Tail is where all the wire conx would be made? I only got my 2012 a few days ago and don't want to screw any thing up. Also how do I get the dash open in that area. In my 2006 you just popped the whole center with a good yank. Thanks for any info

#21 ·
I am thinking about buying one of these in the near future and found this wire diagram while doing some research. I want to get a locker bypass and some front lights, so this would work well for that.

Attachments

#23 ·
I did a panel that will hold three switches. I only have two currently - one for driving lights and one for the backup lights.
It's the same setup that BadBlack4x4 has.

#25 ·
That was my first driving light switch! I will just leave it as you cannot really see it from a normal view. I was kneeling down in that pic.

It's my secret passenger ejector seat switch.....:IDEA:

#28 ·
The one shown above by TRX hemi. That is the same one I have as I have the heated/AC seats and heated steering wheel panel.

#30 ·
The switch panel is #5164912AC
You might also want the pigtail connector for the back #68057288AA

For anyone who's finished installing this, where did you pull power from for the switch panel? I'm getting ready to put this in my truck and just want to make sure I know what I'm doing first.

#33 ·
Has anyone actually ordered and installed this? I was reading info on another forum and it seems that you have 12V on the output pin when the button is off and 0V when it's on. You can overcome this by wiring your outputs on the relay to the normally closed contact, but then you always have the relay coils powered until you turn the button on... Not a huge deal, but if you ever have a relay fail, it will fail with your load turned on.

#34 ·
Rock$tar supposedly has it installed and working. But he didn't say what to do to make it work.

I have the switch, so once I go get a relay I can rig it up to see what it does.

#35 ·
Ok, I rigged this thing up temporarily, and you do need to wire the relay backwards kind of.

I used this site to wire the relay. If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to the last image, that's the way I did it and it works. I suck at wiring electrical stuff, so I can't really explain it myself.

I don't think if the relay failed the lights would be stuck on, though, depending on where you feed power into the relay.

#39 ·
I hope that's how it's set up. I just ordered the switch panel and pigtail connector...

#40 ·
Yes, there is 12v when the switch is in the off position. It switches to ground when in the on position.

#41 ·
That will be fine, just need to wire one side of the coil to 12v and the other to the switch output. I also ordered a pack of 10 SPDT relays on eBay to make a relay pack for all 4 switches. It might be awhile before I am able to use any switches though... I want a light bar with 4 lights for 2 of the switches and I am going to wire a locker bypass up to a 3rd switch. Not sure what to use the 4th one for yet...

#43 ·
No, since the switch panel was originally made for the Cab and Chassis trucks. If you already have existing buttons then you are SOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.