DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amp Power Steps

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  SeventyGTX 
#1 ·
Looking to get a set of these after reading the great reviews. Who has the best price? Are they any better than the Bestop? I see they are roughly the same price. Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
When I got mine, I found that Amazon had them the cheapest. I believe I paid right around $1,020.00 shipped. I signed up for a Amazon Store Card at the time which gave me $50 off. I love them. The kids/wife love them.. and anyone who sees them deploy are like whoa! WHAT'S THAT!!! haha

#3 ·
Thanks Mike. Yep, I have read everyone loves them. Amazon is currently $1058, plus I would have to pay tax because they are in my state. It will just make me feel better if I can find them for under a grand........lol.

#4 ·
I've never seen them under a grand. I am pretty certain the plug and play wire kit is separate from the kit. Also, go to the AMP website to verify the part # you need. Lucky for you, you don't have the auto level air bag system. There is a air tank that needs to be moved and they get $250 for the kit to do that. LOL, it's just 2 pieces of metal and a couple bolts. I'll build my own if I decide on the AMP.

#5 · (Edited)
IIRC, BestStop are a cheaper imitation of the AMP steps…. My AMP steps have been working FLAWLESSLY for 8 years now. Only the occasional shot of silicone lube on the pivot points if I start to hear them squeak at all...
So I say go AMP if you can afford them.

I got mine from Genos garage for about $1050 and free shipping, though that WAS 8 years ago (oops said that already..lol) And the wiring harness and everything needed for a standard install IS included and it is literally plug n' play…NO surprises ( well I guess as long as you don't have factory air bags )with superior fit and finish. and GREAT tech support if needed.

#6 ·
I'm running a set of Amp Research Powerstep XL's on my '16 Power Wagon. I'll just pass on what I was told when I purchased them. I bought them from a local shop that has installed a lot of them, for years and years. They sell and install both the Bestop version and the Amp Research version. The Bestop and Amp Research steps are essentially identical ... except, ... the Amp Research boards are made in the USA, whereas Bestop has their motors made in China. The installer I used told me they have had Bestop motors fail, and that the Amp Research product is better quality, and will last a long time, and will be trouble free.

I like the Powerstep XL version. It functions as a small trim rocker protector when it is in the up position, and extends three inches farther down when the step is extended, which is nice for the taller Power Wagon. The running board is NOT strong enough to use as a rock slider, but that wasn't the rocker protection I was looking for. My Power Wagon spends a lot of time on dirt and gravel roads, and the tires throw gravel at the lower body panels, which will completely strip the paint from the lower body panels if they are not protected. The Powerstep XL is just barely big enough to protect the lower body of the cab from rocks thrown up by the front tires, and is small and tight to the body in the raised position, so it doesn't impair clearance like regular running boards can. I have the lower portion of the bed, from the body seam downward, covered with Clear Bra. So with the Powerstep XLs on the cab, and the Clear Bra on the bed, the paint is fairly well protected from rock chips.

I'm real happy with the Powersteps. They function flawlessly, and appear to be a top quality product.

#7 ·
I was looking at the bestop for price but after doing some research most all say AMP has the better quality motors, etc. Bestop not all bad for the price from what I've read but spending the xtra dollars on AMP is worth it in the long run. Not wanting to be thread stealer but was wondering about the bracket issues on the 2016s on the AMPS install. Bracket Maybe for the air tank on air ride systems? Guess I need to crawl under and check out but I was curious of which models have the bracket issue and models that do not.

#10 ·
The brackets are to relocate the air tank on Auto Level models a few inches. What is funny is, I looked up the part number for these brackets and on Amazon they are about $250! On the AMP site they are like $60. I have the Auto Level on my Mega Cab and I can see where the tank is in the way.

#9 ·
From what I can tell, the Bestops and Amps are similar in price. Not enough difference to worry about. But that is good to know about the motors MoparToYou, thanks for the input.

#11 ·
The plug and play version 76138-01A for my 2015 Mega is $1,150.85 on Amazon right now. A lot of $$$$ but it looks like a worthwhile mod. I'll also need the relocation brackets. What i am curious about is the plug and play pass through harness part # 7640401A. What is it and do i need it?

Attachments

#12 ·
Well, after some internet surfing, I found a set for under $1000 shipped, $999.95 to be exact. :pty: A place called Qualitybumper.com in Phoenix, Az. has them on sale. Since they are out of state, no sales tax like I would have had to pay through Amazon. He said they will ship today, and I should get them Tuesday or Wednesday next week. So todays project is yanking the original ones off. :D

#16 ·
Well, I got them a couple days ago. Got them all done, but the passenger side does not work. Called Amp Research and they said it is the controller and are sending another one out to me. They have really good customer service. Hopefully I can just change the controller and all we be working. They are really wide and give a good platform to stand on. The first thing I noticed is how much lower they are than my original factory running boards. You don't step up as high to get on them, but you have to step higher to get in the truck. No big deal to me, but the wife kind of groaned about it.

#17 ·
I find them to be perfect. The kids (7 years and 2 years) along with my wife can get in with no issues. I like how they are lower and almost make it an equal step from the ground to the step and from the step to truck.

Pretty good deal. Quality Bumper is just down the street from me!

#18 · (Edited)
I imagine they would be perfect for a 2500 since they naturally sit higher than my 1500. Mine has a two inch level and 1 inch spacer in the rear. Maybe it's an excuse to lift it a bit more to even things out...........lol.

Yea, Quality had great price, but I see the sale is no longer on. They are now $1,199, but they show a 15% off code at the top of the page until Jan 3rd.

#20 ·
They really are sweet. Super smooth and quiet operation and looks like they will have plenty of traction in the wet. I never did, but was always afraid of slipping on my original chrome running boards.

Some of the things in the instructions I did not have to do, like relocating the e-brake cable. It clears fine, but it came with a bracket to move it up a bit. Didn't have to get under the dash either, but I think you do with a 2015. LIke I said above, Quality Bumper has a 15% off code on their website. If you can swing it, get yourself a great Christmas present. :IDEA:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.