DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2001 dodge ram off road package leveling kit

9K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  moparhindsight 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2001 dodge ram off road edition that I want to get a leveling kit for but I was goin o buy a 2.5" coil spacer kit from rough country but the customer service rep told me it would destroy my frontend is there any leveling kit you would recommend for the off road edition

#2 ·
The ORE trucks already have lift springs but use the same front parts as regular 1500s so you have to basically replace the springs to gain lift. The ORE springs add about 2" to stock spring. 2500 diesel or V10 springs would be good replacements and provide a bit of lift. But over that you'll need some new parts like track bar and control arms. I always thought Dodge nailed the ORE trucks and believe they are the perfect look and stance. Pity you want to mess with it.

Springs do sag over time so that could be why you think it needs leveling too. There are aftermarket springs that are progressive rate and will bring back the look. I used Skyjacker's 3" springs and AAL which gave it a pretty level look with just a hint of rake. To me it's almost perfect as I was going for a 2500 look. If you put a 3" kit on your ORE, it will only look 1" higher as you have to subtract the 2" Dodge spring. So maybe that's the way to go? Get some 3" springs and it won't over task the front end parts but gain a little up front? Check it out.

There were tons of discussions on this back in the day and that's why I remember this. Springs are definitely better than spacers. Took me about five years to narrow down my lift. Start searching for lift springs and just avoid telling them you have the ORE but remember that the "lift" will be based on a stock 1500 so you have to subtract 2" from the final height in your calculations. It's early and so I hope I made sense. Feel free to ask questions or pm me. Good luck.

#4 ·
Go ahead. Top Gun Customz should still have 2 in spacers. My point is that the geometry is designed for about 3" of lift on stock parts. You'd be about 4" and you may encounter issues such as: rough ride, worn steering linkage, worn control arms, death wobble, etc. New springs won't sag right away, probably take ten years. That's why higher than 3" kits require new control arms, track bar brackets, drop pitmans, etc. You'd be exceeding the stock parts. The leveling kits were designed for stock trucks to make them stand like yours does now. Just trying to explain this so you know what you're getting into.

#9 ·
MetalCloak and Synergy both make extended control arms, and Synergy makes a trackbar upgrade kit. You'll need arms and trackbar to correct your geometry and recenter your axle. I run their stuff on my Jeep and it's quality gear.

#10 ·
I don't mean to threadjack at all here, but i wonder if you could tell me your tire size and give me a measurement to the bottom of your wheel wells on your stock ORE package truck.

I recently fixed one up but i bought it very cheap and it doesnt seem to sit any higher than a stock truck. I think it does but I am unsure. I also would like to know if the stock ORE had the same 3" rake as normal 1500's. Mine does and it seems odd to me as I never noticed an ORE look so out of level. I know my truck is indeed an offroad as it has the trussed dana 44 and 4:10 gearing. The vin shows it too, but im wondering if my springs are very weak in the front or if someone may have taken them out

#12 ·
Either is possible. From what I have seen, Dodge use tons of different spring rates on the front of their trucks. If I remember correctly, the springs are the same length but has a higher spring rate thus providing the additional lift. Mine did have a slight rake, and the spacers I used leveled my truck out nicely. I have been running 295-70-17's on my truck for years now and they did rub slightly on sharp turns or turning while backing up into my drive way. After in stalling the spacers no more rubbing.

#13 ·
I believe you are correct with spring rates to achieve the lift, although it would have been really easy for them to put 3/4 ton springs in too. Those would have been 2" taller because of the frame differences.

I have a full 3" rake but I am running 295 70 17's right now as well and have absolutely no rubbing issues. This is stock off road at the moment. My plan is to actually remove 1.5" from the rear block to achieve a more level look. Then I am going to do a 2" body lift. Yeah yeah i know doesnt make sense, but it does to me as I want the factory ride. After lifting my old 00 with 3" skyjacker that thing was a nasty ride, and most nice riding coils are only in 5" flavor. 5" and 35's doesnt look right to me. I am shooting for 4" total lift over a stock non ORE.

Does anyone know an oem part number for offroad springs or is there no such thing?

#15 ·
blackram those measurements seem crazy tall to me. I went out and measured my wheel wells and got 40 and 1/4 front and 43 and 1/4 rear. I have taller tires than you do as well and you stated 8" taller than me in the front. Did you mean 38"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.