DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

04 5.7 rebuild.

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  toyland south 
#1 ·
Good evening fellas,

First post but my names Seth currently active duty military and father to three soon to be four kids. I am currently a diesel mechanic and enjoy the work that i do, I am also a welder on a side.

I currently have a 2004 dodge durango that i am rebuilding the motor in, it bent two rods and currently am working on pulling everything off the block and taking to a friend to have the block professionally inspected honed and cleaned (if boring it out isnt needed).

Currently i have $0 in this project and with a fourth child on the way this will give the wife a vehicle to use instead of beating my 06 ram to death.

I will keep this post updated every time i work on this and will attack plenty of picture,Best thing to do is document the work you do with pictures now a days in case you sell or need references for the future.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
rebuild 2

I know the pictures are a little jumbled up but with the next ones they wont be as bad. this is over the last 4 days and i did not save them in order.

Attachments

#3 ·
Looks like you got a fun project ahead of you, I wish I had the mech. skills to take on something like this. I'm retiring from the USAF in a few months, so no more moving around for me, I plan on trying to learn some skills as hopefully I'll have some free time. I look forward to your updates and congrats on child #4 , I also have 4 and it's allot of work!

#4 ·
well another weekend has come and gone and Igot a little farther on cleaning up this engine and figuring out what i need to order. so far I need new connecting rods new pistons and a new water pump, BUT since I'm this far into it I am replacing all internals minus crank, main caps and camshaft. My buddy Ray and I honed the cylinders in the garage since they weren't out of round and they also weren't terribly scarred or scratched up. they have some water stains within the liners that we will try to hone out more when we go to rebuild it.

The heads have been milled just need some last cleaning before they get put back together I have new valves, springs, seals etc on order. so these will be completely rebuilt heads hopefully to keep away any issues.

The Crank journals look clean with no major scuffs or scratches on them, I have new main bearings on order a new oil pump and rear main seal. the only other issue that has been found is the front crank bearing is worn, which is a usual for most engines, so I will be replacing all the camshaft bearings.

While I am at it i am also going to replace all hoses, pulleys, complete a transmission flush, replace brakes all around, ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, hubs and sway bar bushings. that is in future most likely spring time before the baby comes and when I get my taxes back in.

I'm waiting on whether or not the machine shop i know has rods,pistons, con rod bearings, main bearings and cam bearings in stock, if he does I will be able to get at least part of it rebuilt this weekend. Then it will be just completing the heads which will be waiting on parts.

thanks for reading guys I'll keep it updated and let you guys know the progress on this.

Seth

Attachments

#6 ·
I'm mostly concerned w/ the Busch beer cans.....

#7 ·
Those are the new cylinder liners:grin

#11 ·
that is were i am scratching my head at i have no idea how he bent two rods especially #7 and #4 . The only logical thing is water got in and he locked it up and cracked one of the pistons on top of the bent rods, there were no signs when the heads came off of water. The best part about it all is the block is sound and there are no other major issues otherwise.

this was one of those vehicles that got left on the side of the road than to local auction so actually figuring out what happened is a tricky one.

#12 ·
Merry Christmas everyone,

I ran into a minor crank issue looks like when the guy I got it from took it apart or when I transported it down the crank got dinged, not a big deal its already at a friends machine shop with the block.
I figured since I'm taking the crank to get turned I mine as well have him hone,clean and bake the block and press in new cam bearings.

The part the sucks the most about it is I am off for a week and all the parts came in with the exception of the rods suppose to be here some time today UPS guy needs to hurry up.
I usually am not the type to support any business I don't personally know the people at but CLEGG Engine and machine really hooked me up with a new set of SCAT forged rods built to Chrysler's spec, they even refunded my shipping since they were shipping from SCAT

Since I am waiting on the machine shop I will start rebuilding the heads and cleaning up the other parts so i can get it all ready to go back in hopefully before the end of January.

thanks guys for reading and having some fun with this and my pictures ill try to keep the build pictures coming and ill get out there today and get you some of the part pictures all ordered from rock auto so keeping my fingers crossed they make it at least 50000 miles.

#14 ·
alright guys, sorry for the delay in posting i have been recovering from the flu/ a complication from the flu. Thanks to great military doctors from not being able to diagnosis the issue of me coughing up blood and just giving me meds and sending me home, But my voice is back now and I'm getting to the point where i can head back out and complete the engine. The block and crank and block will be done around Feb 1 when i get back from Cape may NJ on a Temporary duty trip. I will be posting more pictures up soon when i get the parts back.

On a side note any of you guys on here own or run a machine shop? I just got an offer to take over my buddies shop when he "retires" soon and as his business has been around for 40 years and I know the ins and outs of 90% of his equipment. I was just wondering about some outside ideas of the ins and outs of running such a business.

Thanks guys for following and posting

Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.