DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

burning cds?

1K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  JeffB2002 
#1 ·
for you that burn you own cds, what kind of cds do you use that work on the stock headunit. I just tried a set of TDK cd-r and the cd-player does not read or play them. I dont know if this is in the right spot of the forums so please correct if needed.

#2 ·
ive used hp/staples/bestbuy/memmorex/sony

and im sure a few others

#4 ·
I can tell you what not to use......Memorex Cool Colors CD-R :VHOT: (and I bought 50!)! Almost all of them will skip especially the black ones. I went back to the regular Memorex...no problems.

#7 ·
I doubt the disk will have anything to do with it playing. It depends on what type of file the headunit supports. For example, WMA, MP3, MP4 etc. Try burning the music in a different format and see what happens.

#9 ·
HSK BATES said:
for you that burn you own cds, what kind of cds do you use that work on the stock headunit. I just tried a set of TDK cd-r and the cd-player does not read or play them. I dont know if this is in the right spot of the forums so please correct if needed.
Are you burning from the internet? Maybe your recording on MP3 format. Some units won't pickup mp3 format. Just a thought.

#10 ·
On factory stereos I always had the best luck with the lightest color CD-R blanks. If the bottom is a light green, chances are it reads easier. Some of the darker blues and other odd colors seem to have aharder time.

KB

#11 ·
I pretty much used all brands without any issues.

#12 ·
Hit and miss with my 2006 6-disc but I narrowed it down to definately working with Memorex and Verbatim. They're gold/silver not colored.

#14 ·
I dont think lime wire could be the cause. I download songs from there, and any torrent sites plus youtube.. Have you tried putting the disc in another cd player?

#15 ·
HSK
it isn't the CD-R , it is the format that you are recording in. Limewire ect doesn't matter, you have to burn them at reg bit rates and as an audio CD for the older head units that don't recognize MP3.

#16 ·
P.S.

you get more songs on a CD-r recorded as mp3 but alot of units are picky on the profile eg bitrate and sampling , for the files.

for the money if you like to have your own collections and change it alot buy an ipodshuffle $49 for 2gig that is 500 plus songs, (or some other mp3 player) and even with a fm transmitter adapter the sound is much better than the cds anyway, but go for a sat to ipod oem deck converter cord then you won't here the odd occassional crap from cars that you pass on the freeway.
this is the adapter:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330227290269&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

#18 ·
i am going to try burning them at 16x instead of there 52x. and i have been burning them as an audio cd and not mp3 file? will dropping the burning speed fix this issue?

#19 ·
NO it shouldn''t , unless you don't have the burner do a check pass on completion.
in which case make sure it verifies the disc at the end.
It is more likely to be the bitrate that is the issue, try lowering the bitrate.
If they are currently 256 go to 128, if 128 go to 64. much lower and it isn't worth it.

#21 ·
HSK BATES said:
ya i just went and tested the cds in other family members cars and they work like a charm!! krs i see that you have a 02, do you have factory deck also?
Yes, still got the factory deck.

#22 ·
Well the best method is to use Roxio Toast software.
There is freeware that will rip tunes for you , but I don't know them off-hand, you'd have to search the web for them. It really depends on how much ripping you do .
At $70 bucks I find TOAST a steal of a deal, it will author any DVD or CD from anywhere in the world and convert to any format you would like, it is especially good for puting tv shows on an ipod or mp4 player. at what ever bitrate you like.

For your problem here ,
it will be a convoluted process without some other software
basically you have to have the music on a cd, (you can burn your own as you have already)
then you have to import them into a new playlist in itunes and as you import them choose the lower bitrate it will be in the prefferences menu
then you will have the songs in the seperate folder which are saved in the lesser bitrate
then In Itunes select the songs you wish to burn from this new playlist to burn
then
try writing the cd at slowest speed and , verify the write.

This will work but as you see, it will take some time to do as you are ripping the song three times to get it into the lesser format. and that only so it will play in your truck.

so I'd say
A: get a newer deck
B: get an Ipod and adapter
C: Get another Ram , with a lift and a hemi and 4x4 and a powerwagon and leatherseatsanddvdplayerandnavsystemandlfetimewarrentee...............
sorry got carried away.

Hope this helps.

#26 ·
what is your head unit model ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.