The Rebuilding Has Started.... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 241 Old 12-07-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The Rebuilding Has Started....

Today would have been the trail date for my truckís lawsuit. Itís been a total of 3-years 5-months 8-days and about 16-hours after the engine failure but whoís counting right? I havenít been able to talk about whatís been happening with my truck because of the suit and Iíll do my best to condense almost three and half years of this crap in here. Frankly, the warranty company and their legally group are bunch of wussy complaining crybabies. They were trolling my Facebook page and copied each of the times that I posted ANY news about what was happening with the truck or the lawsuit then cried and raised hell about it. So the law group I hired felt I needed go dark about anything and everything concerning the truck and what was happening with the lawsuit. Okay, no problem. I deleted everything on Facebook and DodgeTalk to placate the little wussies. All of that is now behind me because the paperwork to demises has been filed with the court. I asked and told it was now okay to post what happen. The lead lawyer wished I could buy-up every billboard across the nation but Iíll settle for a thread on DodgeTalk and finely posting what happen on Facebook. This past September the deal to fix the truck was made was pretty wide in scope but everyone signed-off on it and agreed to it. The truck would be taken to the local Five Star Dodge dealership, Burns Motors and once there they would check and diagnose what was wrong and then they would do the repairs to the truck. I would have no say what was done and the only thing that could not be done was paint-n-bodywork. Like I said, it was pretty wide open but I trusted Burns Motors to do right by all the parties.

The truck was towed to Burns on the second of October and I was really hoping to have the truck back by the 25th, which is my birthday. No such luck because within just a few hours of the truck being delivered to Burns, they started telling Burns how the vehicle and engine would be repaired. That didnít go over well with the Burns service writer or my law group. While everyone was arguing, a crate long block engine showed up at the dealer. A few weeks later, the dealer started working on truck once my law wrote a letter that the law group was filling papers with the court. The wussy crybabies backed down and Burns started working on the truck. At this point it looked like I was going to lose everything I had put into the engine and I wasnít too happy until I found out there was no core charge for the new engine. The money I was going to use for the core charge, I used to pay the dealer to tear down the old engine. This would mean I could keep my performance parts for later and I didnít have to pay someone to tear down the old engine. Iíll share the pictures later.

When the engine was torn down, the problems and damage were plain to see. The top end and bottom end showed no signs of damage. The water pump was a rusty pile of trash and you could see the contamination all thought the water passageways. This was because when the engine was pulled and reinstalled, they knew the engine would have to come out. So why waste $45-dollar a gallon anti-freeze, right? So they only put water from the water hose in the engine. Well, they had no way of knowing it would be more than THREE YEARS before the engine would come out again! When the timing cover was removed, everything was good as new. There were no signs of wear at all on any of the guides and the chains looked new as well. Then the cylinder heads came off and there it was, lots of damage. Again, Iíll post the pictures.

The truck has been home since the end of November and Iíve been working thought the list of the problems. It was plain that wussies were not going to help anymore but I was okay with it by this point Iím sick of deal with such an unprofessional and lying group. Right up to the end, they were doing anything and everything they could not to pay what they agreed. Whatís the saying? ďOnce a liar always a liar, once a cheater always a cheater.Ē I was having problems with oak leaves getting into A/C blower motor in the dash. Even after cleaning what seem like tons of trash, I still had to drop the blower motor three times because of the oak leaves. The ABS error had me worried but it has not come back since it was cleared. I havenít driven the truck so weíll see if it returns. Itís at the top of list because itís part of the safety systems. The A/C wasnít cooling and there was an Evap Leak Error as well. The Evap error was because of a burned breather pipe, which was a cool $72-bucks from the dealer. I got the family mechanic to replace the Evap breather and top off the A/C and both seem to be working well. I still have an Engine Coolant Sensor error to work though but Iím dealing with each of these as I go. I also found a small puddle of anti-freeze under the truck when I last left the law offices. Iím hoping the puddle is from a weak and failing cap and not something more. The tires were brand new and will need to be replaced. After three and half years, they have cracks in the rubber and drive like they're ďFred Flintstone Edition A/T KOĒ tire. The tires still have those little expansion nipples all over them! Again, it's a safety issue. What good does it do to spend all this money getting the truck back on the road and then have a tire come part while youíre driving down the highway?

So I can and will update whatís happening as I rebuild the truck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plugged Pickup.JPG (210.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Loose Oil Pan Coating.JPG (202.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Bottom-End - Left is Front.jpg (1.07 MB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Number Three Connecting Rod.jpg (1.01 MB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Number Three Connecting Rod Bearing & Cap.jpg (1,022.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Top PS Head.jpg (1,014.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Timing Chain Guides.jpg (1,010.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Water Pump.jpg (973.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Corrosion Inside Block - 2.jpg (991.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Chains.jpg (1,014.6 KB, 71 views)

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 91K/3588hrs, 4.56 R&P/DTT, Sonnax Line Booster, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer-case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" Bridgestone Dueler A/T, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 241 Old 12-07-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
There were three cylinders with the same type of piston damage. Then the rust buckets that were once my brake rotors. The upper and lower ball joints were trash. Then what was left of the burnt Evap Breather Pipe. All the trash on the driveway was under the wiper cowl and what didn't wash out, I had to clean out three different times from the blower motor. The last picture is the flat spot on the wheels. There were six inch earthworms living in that mud.

Now the fugly part pictures....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cylinder Five Close-Up.jpg (984.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Cylinder Five Close-Up - Head.jpg (999.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Cylinder Seven Close-Up.jpg (1.07 MB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Very Rusty Rotors.jpg (1.01 MB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Bad Upper Ball Joint.jpg (964.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Bad Lower Ball Joint.jpg (1,001.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Burned Hose.jpg (894.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Trash under Wiper Cowl.jpg (1.06 MB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Oak Leaves.jpg (847.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Possible Flat Spot.jpg (1.00 MB, 45 views)

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 91K/3588hrs, 4.56 R&P/DTT, Sonnax Line Booster, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer-case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" Bridgestone Dueler A/T, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars

post #3 of 241 Old 12-08-2015, 08:19 AM
Limedust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Glad you are finally moving forward.

Despite the rust on the rotors... I probably would have just used them as-is. The brake pads will "wipe" the contact surface clean as soon as you leave the driveway, and the rust generally acts as an environmental barrier for the rest of the rotor. Budget rotors aren't coated anyways, so they all rust.

Can you post a pic of the tire sidewalls?

2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB "Hemi" SLT 4x4
2004 Dodge Durango "Hemi" AWD/4x4

post #4 of 241 Old 12-09-2015, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limedust View Post

Despite the rust on the rotors... I probably would have just used them as-is. The brake pads will "wipe" the contact surface clean as soon as you leave the driveway, and the rust generally acts as an environmental barrier for the rest of the rotor. Budget rotors aren't coated anyways, so they all rust.

Pass/Rework/Fail was done by the dealer on everything. But like I said, there was no input from me aside from the heads-up on my mod's. Like the transmission; If there had been a problem and work was needed to be done, they would need to do 'quick learn'. Since my Ram has the Jeep GC TCM that could not have been done without replace the TCM with the old Dodge unit. With the brakes they did a full rebuild, front and back and then rebuilt the front suspension.

I can get some pictures some time after lunch.

post #5 of 241 Old 12-09-2015, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
I did some more driving around today. The A/C is work well but we're not really that hot around with the high just under 80-degrees. The transmission is starting to shift more normal the last few times I've been out. When I first got the truck, it drove like crap and the one time I stood-on-it, the truck cut in-and-out just like the day the engine failed. I did some checking under the hood and found all the fluid levels were off. Some, like the PS, PB, and anti-freeze were all over filled. The inlet connection at the TB was sideways and leaking. Then to my horror, the ATF+4 was three quarts low. The trans is still shifting too firm at a partial petal but shifts prefect beyond half pedal. I think it would be wise to remove the Sonnax Line Booster for now. I'm already getting sick of everyone around me thing I'm racing them because they hear that damn Blowmaster muffler! A new SI-SO cat-back system will be mod number two once I replace the Fred Flintstone tires! I don't know; I may want to do more about Greasy smell in the cab before I do the cat-back. None of the CEL errors have come back but the Coolant Sensor still shows a failure when tested with the handheld. It'll have to wait a couple of weeks until I get my disability.

post #6 of 241 Old 12-09-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Okay, here you go....

And this is why I'm overly cautious about the tires and what happen to me when the new tires I put on the Buick came apart on me...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thread Cracks.jpg (933.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0120.JPG (183.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0119.JPG (227.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0108.JPG (169.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by dmcelhannon; 12-09-2015 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Ahh! Autocorrect!
post #7 of 241 Old 12-09-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
!!!!!Scream, Scream, Holler, Scream, Holler, Holler, Scream, Scream!!!!!

Okay, where do I start?

I've been saying since I got the truck back that the brakes in the front have been making noise. After making a few stops in town, I drove out to The Mopar Shop to ask David Guzman what it will cost me to repair the paint on the truck. It's only about a 12-mile drive but I should have called David first because his guys said he was gone and wouldn't be back until sometime tomorrow. He then added that my brakes smelled really hot and he was right. If I can smell it with my busted-up nose, it must be strong. So I drove back to Burns Motors and just as I pulled up to the service drive, Letty was getting back from lunch. She put her things inside and as she walked up to the drive's side door, she could smell and see the smoke rolling out from under the driver's side front fender. She had me drive around to Juan's service bay and ask him about it. He said he only did pads and rotors but the failure was bad brake calipers. I kinda remember saying more than a few times that they were dragging and making noise but no one double-checked the brakes for me. I walked to the parts counter and Chris said they're about $195 to $225-each plus whatever the labor is going to cost. There is no way I can afford to pay the dealer to do the job so I stopped and talked to John. He's runs a small shop halfway in-between Burns Motors and the house. He said he'd do the labor for about $35 to $40-bucks a side if I get the parts. Okay, I can get Professional Grade Raybestos calipers with all the hardware and new set of pads though RockAuto for less than $60-bucks per side. Yea, so instead of $200-bucks for the ABS Controller that's no longer throwing an error code, I'll have to spend it on the brakes that were only halfway done in the first place. I'll still need to replace to the Coolant Sensor which Chris said is about $150-bucks but again, I can get it though RockAuto for about $25-bucks. Oh well... it's only money, right?

post #8 of 241 Old 12-10-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
I checked all four brakes today on the Ram and all four rotors have some level of blue from too much heat. That means all of them are dragging. No wonder the truck is only getting about seven miles to the gallon! Lord am I over joyed that I did make my Arby's run to Kingsville once I got the truck home from Burns! During the trip, there's no telling who much damage would have happen or worst yet, the heat could have caused a fire! So today, I deiced it would wiser to replace all four calipers and not just the front brakes. I found a complete kit made by Raybestos that includes everything from the brackets, pads, and all the hardware. It kinda pisses me off that I'm having to cover for some cheap-ass but the safety of the vehicle has to first.

post #9 of 241 Old 12-11-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
Well the Evap Leak error came back while I was driving back home from the county tax office. I cleared the CEL error and put some more baby oil on the gas cap o-ring. If that doesn't fix it, I have to get John to check it out when he does the brakes. The brakes are still dragging so I'm doing my best to keep my trips real short. I got an email saying the first of the brake shipments is on the way. I'll get pictures of the parts and try to get some while the work is being done.

post #10 of 241 Old 12-12-2015, 03:06 PM
ScarredKnightfn
Old Cars, Strong Hearts

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcelhannon View Post
Oh well... it's only money, right?

So they say......

Glad to see you are progressing on this, but sorry for the frustrations.

Cort www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (awaiting new owner)
"You can say there's no such thing as Santa" __ Elmo'N'Patsy __ 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'
post #11 of 241 Old 12-17-2015, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
When I ordered the Pro Raybestos brake kits on the 10th, everything was due for delivery on the 16th. The next day, an email said the order was broken-up into four orders; one for each wheel. The first was scheduled for Wednesdays the 16th, the next on the 17th, and the third would be here on Monday the 21st. The last and most important is for the driver's side front wheel, the that's the smoker with the blue rotor. Well it's been back ordered... very frustrating but okay, it's the silly season, right?

Tuesday the 15th, the first box came FedEx at 8:00-am. The odd thing, it was the box the was scheduled to show on the 21st. The second came today and the third box should be here by 8:00-am in the morning. The one that's needed the most is still nothing but question marks.... yea.

The baby oil didn't do a thing for the EVAP error so I'll have deal with that next... I really do not want to buy a $100-dollar smoke machine that will only be used for this problem but I sure do not want to get hit with a major bill from the dealer! I'll make up my mind after the brakes get fixed because I still need tires as well.

I'm thinking about getting a set of 32 or 33-inch Cooper AT3's. They be a-lot lighter than the E-rated 33 BFG A/T KO's that are on the truck now so I should be able to recover some fuel mileage. I believe the AT3's are about six to ten pounds lighter.

post #12 of 241 Old 12-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Limedust

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a set of 32 or 33-inch Cooper AT3's. They be a-lot lighter than the E-rated 33 BFG A/T KO's that are on the truck now so I should be able to recover some fuel mileage. I believe the AT3's are about six to ten pounds lighter.
Cooper AT3 (P-Rated): 45 lbs.
Cooper AT3 (E-Rated): 49 lbs.
BFG ATKO (E-Rated): 59 lbs.

I came really close to getting the P-Rated AT3's before going with the 54 lb. Goodyear Duratracs.

post #13 of 241 Old 12-17-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Cooper AT3 (P-Rated): 45 lbs.
Cooper AT3 (E-Rated): 49 lbs.
BFG ATKO (E-Rated): 59 lbs.

I came really close to getting the P-Rated AT3's before going with the 54 lb. Goodyear Duratracs.
Yep, the P-rated AT3's is what I'm looking at because I no longer go offroad these days. The closest thing to offroad I've seen around here are dirt roads and most of those I could drive the Buick PA on. The AT3's should work fine on dirt road plus some of the big mud holes I've crossed by mistake. We do get ton of rain and the streets flood almost every time. The flood control is really great down here and but the time you pull-in somewhere for a bite, the streets are pretty clear by the time you leave. Figuring the lighter tires would be easier on the front ball joints as well. Wish I could upgrade those POS aluminum A-arms. I know Dodge was trying to save weight but come-on.

The web site that show delivery times has changed over night. Last night at 3:00-am, it said 8:00-am but by 7:00-am, it said 8:00-pm. Last okay because Mom ask me to drive her to ChinaMart so she could Christmas dinner stuff. That was a hour-n-half that played he!! on my left leg, hip, and lower back. By the time we left, everything was so bad it had gone completely numb. It was like walking with a wooden leg. All I needed was RGV Patriot and an eye patch.
Attached Images
File Type: png Rio Grande Parrot.png (101.3 KB, 176 views)

post #14 of 241 Old 12-17-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
Okay this is nuts or someone is just playing with my head here!

All of these kits are the Pro Series Raybestos Loaded Calipers. They come with everything you need short of the rotors. My rotors are brand new from Dodge so no worries there, I'm going to have a finish cut done so the pads can break-in correct. Now the caliper kit that was back ordered until 'who-know-how-long' is the box that just showed up! Double check the Amazon orders site and the part numbers have switched. The left side front is now left side rear kit.

post #15 of 241 Old 12-17-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
On a side note....

I drove Mom to her hair dressers for an appointment this afternoon. On the way home at a four-way stop, I was the only one around. (sorry, the devil made me do it) I thought "What the heck" and I floored it! Even with the EVAP error, she laid down double black rubber strips all the way across the intersection. I'm sure it's because the tires have turned to into a hard rubber. I didn't care! I was happy, happy, happy.

post #16 of 241 Old 12-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Limedust

Quote:
Wish I could upgrade those POS aluminum A-arms. I know Dodge was trying to save weight but come-on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1012.JPG (832.6 KB, 23 views)

post #17 of 241 Old 12-19-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
Okay, but who makes them?

post #18 of 241 Old 12-23-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
Three of the four brake kits are here but the number four is still nothing but question marks! Placed the order on the 10th and I still cannot get an answer when it will be shipped. I've had no choice but to use the Ram but I have keep the trips short. The "Fred Flintstones Edition" tires were spinning all the time but have slowly started to drive more normal. I'm not taking any chances with these tires so it's just a matter of time before they're replaced. I was think about taking advantage of these and making a burn-out video but decided that might be pushing my luck. There were still questions about the transmission when the truck went into the dealer. Anything happens now, it's my dime that fixing the truck! I'll get the brakes fixed, find the EVAP error problem, get some new tires, and then I'd like to make an Arby's run. The trip works out around 225-miles round trip so that should work the bugs out and help break-in the engine. If all goes well, I start working on the inside of the truck replacing the carpet and NAV system.

post #19 of 241 Old 12-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Limedust

Quote:
Okay, but who makes them?

Unfortunately, nobody any more, and they cost an arm and a leg when they did. These were CST upper control arms with oversized ball joints. Hopefully they'll last forever.

2006+ have all the good stuff for the strut front end. 2002 - 2005 4x4's are the red-headed step-children of Dodge trucks.
post #20 of 241 Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Unfortunately, nobody any more, and they cost an arm and a leg when they did. These were CST upper control arms with oversized ball joints. Hopefully they'll last forever.

2006+ have all the good stuff for the strut front end. 2002 - 2005 4x4's are the red-headed step-children of Dodge trucks.
Well crap.... it looks like they only offer 4x4 stuff for the 2009 and up Ram 1500's.

Like I said before, I believe what happen to ball joints were the very heavy E-rated 33-inch BFG A/T KO's. Even though I haven't been offroad in more than seven years now the extra weight was just too much for the little POS joints! So I'm hoping by going a set of Copper AT3 tires, I can keep the weight down enough to keep from trashing the new A-arms. I'm even thinking of going back to the stock 30-inch tires but I just don't know. I really like the ride height with the 33's but the 30's would make it easier for my Mom and Step-Father to get in and out of the truck. The roads around flood real easy and that's another reason I put the 33's on the truck and that little extra height really helps. With no plans to take the Ram off-road, I can also hope that the new A-arms will last as long or maybe longer than the originals. The new ball joints also have grease zerks and that too should help them last longer as well. Money; it all going to boil down to how much money I'm willing to drop into a 13-year old truck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in