DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1999 Ram 1500 5.9 4x4 Downshift Issue

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Cletus440 
#1 ·
I'm hoping Tactransman will jump in here - here's what I've got:

1999 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L - Transmission hangs in 2nd or 3rd gear when at a stop in drive after the truck is warmed up.

*** I have already done a fluid and filter change, band adjustment, swapped the governor solenoid and sensor, and drilled the hole in the top side of the governor block larger for better fluid flow through the solenoid screens. ***

The Carfax report on the truck showed a transmission service had been done, but I don't think the pan had ever been dropped - probably just had the fluid flushed through the cooling lines. When I dropped the pan there were some plastic strips floating around in the pan that I believe were a remnant from assembly at the factory, there was a lot of gunk in the bottom of the pan, and the front band needed a BUNCH of adjustment. I'm hoping I can save this one from a complete rebuild for a while, but now I'm skeptical. After doing the stuff listed above, the transmission does seem to shift way better, and it doesn't hang up nearly as bad at a stop as it was doing before, but the problem is still there.

After seeing the sticky transmission diagnostic thread, I think I will probably have to drop the valve body and go through it.

Any recommendations on a kit to use to go through the valve body?
Has anyone seen a good tutorial on this for the 46re transmission?
What am I getting myself into? Anything I need to watch out for that might get me in trouble?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
I now suspect the "plastic strips" I found in the pan to be band friction material. I found a video showing the kickdown band can be replaced with the transmission in the truck. I don't have enough posts to be able to include the url, I'll post it back up here when I can.
I will be attempting this in the next couple weeks along with installing an HD accumulator spring, HD band strut and adjuster. I will post back up here when I have it back together to let you know how it went.

#3 ·
Update

Update -

The chunks in the pan were definitely band friction material. I was able to snake the new band in with the transmission still in the truck. (not fun, but it's in there) Went to bolt everything back together - while bolting the valve body back in it cracked. (SONAVA....FRICKENFRACKEN AAAARGH!!!)

I have a remanufactured valve body ordered up, it cost me $175, a bit better than the $4-500 I was expecting. I will be back at it Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.