DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1976 Dodge Travco Motorhome

16K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  pzookey 
#1 ·
Been working on this RV while using it for camping. The old M500 chassis is great and the old 440-3 runs strong. Will be getting EFI, a new steering box, and a reworking of the rear brakes. All of this as the interior gets remodeled.

#2 ·
Was going to add some pictures but I need to make a few more posts first.

#5 ·
I have to get one or two more posts before I am allowed to share pics but yes mine looks similar to the second picture. The first one is a Travco L'espirit. The Class C L'espirit came with either the 440 or a 360. The Class A Travcos after 74 were all 440s.

#6 ·
Oh yeah Winnebago also used the Dodge Chassis although they did not use steel framework with fiberglass bodies bake then.

#7 ·

#8 ·

#9 ·
Being a Mahal 2+2 instead of a 270 the entrance door is in a slightly different place.

#11 ·
The interior when I got it

#12 ·
The interior now

#13 ·
Still have a way to go but she is a work in progress.

#14 ·
NOS taillights changed to LEDs and installed.

New ones on

What the old ones looked like

After both sides were done

#15 ·
Had to replace the headlight buckets.

New Hella H-4 headlights with NOS 60s Dodge D series park lights replacing the orange originals. Also LED bulbs fit in.

#17 ·
It is still a work in Progress. The EFI kit by FiTech arrived Christmas eve. It is a Go Street 400 HP. I also got the Fuel command center for fuel supply as it does not require a return line. The old 850 CFM Thermoquad will be hanging arouns as an emergency back up if the EFI were to quit. There is also Faux tin for the ceiling in the interior. Butcher block for the kitchen counter top and just a little bit of plumbing to get the bathtub/shower usable. Most of the lighting in the interior and on the exterior is now LED. Mechanicals to be done first and the interior to follow.

#18 ·
Pulled the old girl into the driveway and jacked up the front end and pulled the left front wheel. Steering box with borgenson joint is the first project.

#19 ·
Some work today. New steering box installed with a Borgeson joint to replace the pot joint on the steering shaft. New High torque Min starter to replace the old beast. A little rewiring as the starter cable was a bit short. A subaru starter cable was used to replace the original ( I had it in my parts bin). One of the front shocks replaced with the other to be done tomorrow. Left header is loose for a leak repair. Need new header bolts as the old ones were semi rounded off. Radiator to go back in tomorrow as it was pulled to gain access to the steering box mounting bracket bolts.

#20 ·

#21 ·
I am new and just saw your post and photos. Really great job you're doing! I know nothing about RVs so I was surprised to find the engine under the passenger seat.

I got a Dodge Grand Caravan SE and hope to make it so I can go to picnics, or go camping some day or just use it as an around-town vehicle. Living in an apartment complex, we can't really keep anything in our vehicles because every so often someone would break in and steal stuff.

Have you thought of making a web site for your RV? Then you could post the pictures there and a link to the site with photos, adventures, etc. I did that with my van.

Keep up the great work with the RV. Will love to see how it comes along and what it looks like finished!

Are you going to go solar panels on it? I always wondered how those work out.

#22 ·
Header leak is fixed. Test drive done. Now I have to find a rattle in the dash. I never heard it before....lol
The steering is straight and true with no wander. The Borgeson joint worked wonders.
Raven LX, The engine sits under a dog house between the front seats. I have been sharing picture on various boards.
Solar is in it's future. A lot of other work to be finished first.

#24 ·
Thank you. There will be a lot more posted here about it as it moves along. As it is camping season and it will be used for the intend purpose the posts may spread out at times. This weekend I am pulling the group 34 battery out of my dead 2000 Caravan and will be installing it the compartment in the front bumper of the beast as a starting battery, It currently uses the generators starting battery at the rear of the coach and I believe the cable is way longer than it needs to be. The following weekend is the first camping trip of the year.

#25 ·
New starting battery installed in the front bumper compartment. This takes the load off of the generator battery or the house batteries. Well the battery isn't new either. I pulled it out of a Dodge Caravan that died 2 years ago. the battery was almost new then. The battery hold down for the Caravan was also used.

The compartment in the front bumper was large enough to also house the trolling motor battery for our 5 person inflatable boat.

#26 ·
cleaned out the house battery compartment, picked up the scattered tools, and pressure washed the heavy dirt off. Son is washing the rest of the exterior and it will be ready for the camping trip on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.