DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranny kills engine when put into drive (sometimes)

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dspair 
#1 ·
I was wondering why my truck's transmission would kill the engine when put into drive. It only seems to do it every once in a while. It would usually do it when the engine has just been started up in the morning and put into drive. :huh: I don't know what causes it. Thankfully, it doesn't do it all the time. But I'm still concerned. I'm thinking it may be time for the fluid to be flushed out since it hasn't been since I got the truck. My brother says if the fluid isn't milky, then its still good. We checked all of the differentials and none of them appeared to be milky.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
A friend wher I work at has had the same problem with his truck befor he bought it new he took it back to the dealership and they said they fixed it said it was a short in some of the wireing in the steering colum. He showed me what it was doing befor he took it in to let the dealership look at it,he would start it and drop it into drive and when he did put it in drive it would kill the engine. sounds like you have the same problem to me I would start looking their hope this helps you out abit.

#4 ·
Thank you both :)

#6 ·
engine stalls when auto trans in drive

Well guys, I had the same problem, at a stop sign, several times the truck just shuddered, and died. Torque converter was bad, and locking up. Had the trans built with heavy duty internals and and a super duty converter to handle the xtra hp and torque of my tweaked cummins, and it has been great ever since.

Dave :gr_patrio

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.