DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How common are valve spring/broken valve issues on 03 Rams?

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  weedahoe 
#1 ·
Hi everyone newbie here. I've had my 03 Ram Quad Cab with Hemi since new and it has been a fantastic truck for me up to this point. Just recently it started running rough and the ETC light kicked on and engine went into limp mode. I took it to my mechanic and he ran a compression check and there's no compression in one cylinder due to a broken valve spring. Looks like i may have lucked out and there's no piston/cylinder damage. How common is this problem with these years? I've only got 65k on the vehicle and was planning on keeping it for a couple more years but if this is a sign of worse things to come I may trade it. Is this a common problem with this generation Ram? Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Broken valve springs are the most common in 03 hemis, but still yet it doesnt happen very often though. It is very rare for the 04 and up hemis to break one, and if it happens its usually cause of an aftermarket cam or something. I had one break in my truck around the same mileage as yours, but i also had a bigger cam in for probably 12,000 miles before that. If the dealership changes out ur springs, i believe they will put the springs for an 04 and up hemi in because those were a little stronger and were not prone to breaking. But if you wanted to for peace of mind, you could replace all ur springs with 6.1 exhaust springs, as those are very strong and very popular with guys that have aftermarket heads/cam, like myself.

#3 ·
Ive got my old springs I pulled off my heads when I upgraded to 6.1 springs and Ive got those same 6.1s available from when I recently changed heads. LMK if you need a spare 5.7 spring or a set of 5.7 or 6.1s

My 6.1 will be in the classifieds today so LMK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.