DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trans having trouble shifting between 1st and 2nd

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dannewman 
#1 ·
Ok I have a 1999 sport model. Recently its been acting funny. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is significantly different. If I step on it from a stop it will run through the gears just fine. If I completely pussy foot it it acts up, as well as normal driving. It honestky feels like the trans can't make up its mind on what it wants to do Lol. Like it jerks a few times before it shifts. It's not slippin or coming out of gear but like I said the only way I can really explain is by saying it cant decide. Yeah sounds dumb but I don't know what's its doing. Now I have replaced a sensor a while back, the output shaft speed sensor. It was holding gears way too long and that sensor replacement fixed it. I have heard about band adjustments, other sensors on the trans, a fluid change, a clogged cat possibly?? Just trying to figure this out and see if anyone has had a similar issue. Thanks for any help! - Chase

#2 ·
1999 sport model. Recently its been acting funny. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is significantly different.

If I step on it from a stop it will run through the gears just fine. If I completely pussy foot it it acts up, as well as normal driving.

feels like the trans can't make up its mind on what it wants to do Lol. Like it jerks a few times before it shifts. It's not slippin or coming out of gear
Start by checking/getting codes; and simple stuff like checking TV cable adjustment and operation (returns smoothly/properly).
... Link is for "sticky" at top of 2G drivetrain forum

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197157

#8 ·
#9 ·
That big ol' servo that controls the first/reverse band could be so far out of adjust that the piston is hanging in the bore and dragging the band before releasing. Is that one long sentence or what? Hah!

#10 · (Edited)
Just say that when that servo jams in it's bore for the last time,and the second/third gear servo energizies and grabs the drum,,,it's a mess. Counter rotating assemblies join together in a harmony of motion that cannot be passed on. The planetary is forced to stop in it's tracks,,,which caused mine to explode. This poetry of mechanical wizardry took out my planetary,the big sun gear basket, the main shaft and tore up everything in it's path. So,,,,yeah a band adjustment and general tune-up is not a luxury with these tranny bombs. Most Dodge owners around here need a new tranny pan by now anyhow seeing where they rust out faster that a rear spring hanger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.