DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake pedal to the floor

12K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  98QuadCabV10 
#1 ·
Need help with a brake problem I've been having. I have a soft brake pedal. Pedal goes to the floor, the truck will stop but not very fast. The fronts won't even lock up on gravel. It feels like there is air in the lines but I've bled everything. So far I've replaced both calipers, pads, rotors, master cylinder, shoes, and wheel cylinders. I've also gone through almost a gallon of brake fluid. The problem all started when I replaced the rotors. I opened up the rf bleeder to Finnish pushing brake fluid out because the master was full. Other than that there is no way air could get into the system.
Any suggestions on what I could try next?

#5 ·
Yeah the booster works. My pedal feels soft like there is air in the system. I can't get any out. The pedal goes 3/4 of the way down without the booster helping and all the way once the engine is running. I have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to stop.

#7 ·
Yes I did. Rear brakes are set good. I did the gm wheel cylinder mod on them and my rear brakes work amazing now. It just feels like my front brakes are not working. From the master the line goes into the combo valve them to the front calipers. Could there be something messed up with that valve?

#8 ·
RWAL, and 4wheel ABS have different bleed procedures.

#10 ·
Yeah that's what I was originally thinking also so I did the rear brakes and adjuted them. The rear are working good now. I checked them to make sure the piston moves and it does. I just can't get the fronts to work good. I've never had a brake problem stump me this much.

#11 ·
Wiggle the brake petal by hand and see if the linkage has come apart in the cabin, under the dash, at the point at or before where it turns from mechanical linkage to hydraulic, either there or under hood, or your master cylinder has completely failed. There is not necessarily going to be a leak if the master cylinder has gone bad

#13 ·
I bench bled it then cracked the lines after I installed it to make sure I got all the air out. How can I tell if the master is bad? It's a new one.

#15 ·
Does the master cylinder hold pressure after you pump it up? If you pump the pressure up and it doesn't hold, you have a bad master cylinder.

#16 ·
Yes with the engine off the pedal won't go past 1/2 to 3/4 no matter how long I hold it. Where do I attach the vacuum tube to do that test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.