DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pics of Bypass Hose?

10K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Jmw132001 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a pic of the heater bypass hose on a 5.9 gasser or equivalent?

Is it something that just can't be seen without taking off the alternator and the various brackets? I just replaced my radiator a few days ago and today something blew up and sprayed the engine with coolant. Looks like the bypass hose is a common culprit, but I would like to make some kind of visual inspection before I order a new one.

I am going out of town tomorrow and don't have the option of taking it apart tonight. It would be nice if I could order whatever parts I need before I leave or while I'm gone so they can be waiting for me when I get back.

See less See more
#2 ·
The bypass hose you cannot see unless you remove the alternator, and a/c compressor. I had to replace mine and it is not too bad. Let me see if i can find the pics of when i done it.

#3 ·
i have pics on my thread for doing the plenum.....it might be the o-ring on the hard pipe going into the water pump blew too....i'll look for pics

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks, I can make it out in truckman's pics, I am thinking that is where my blow came from. The hard line with the o-ring looks fine, so I don't think it could have lost as much coolant as was lost.

I guess I am just going to order the hose and hope that is it, I'll get a new o-ring too just so that does not go next. What size is the o-ring?

#6 ·
I'm not sure what size the o-ring is......you might just have to take it off and take it to a parts store to match it. Hopefully it's just the bypass hose and you won't have to worry about the o-ring on that hard line. if you lost a LOT of coolant, then that line going into the water pump is probably not the problem. Usually that's just a slow seep.

#7 ·
Get some new clamps while your at it, when I did mine the old clamps were pretty crappy shape, clamps are cheap might as well only do the job once.
Just finishing fixing the plenum now, broke a damn intake bolt GRRRRRR, I think my torque wrench has taken a dump, this angers me greatly.......

#9 ·
changing to the screw type is actually better. i changed all mine to the screw kind. But you should be able to find those kind at some auto parts stores i am sure of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.