DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do I change the bypass hose?

19K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  anthdale 
#1 ·
I have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L. I just put the 3rd water pump on in 2 days until I realized it's the bypass hose. Looks like it is going to be difficult to get to and change. Can someone tell me the best method for doing this? Thanks!

#2 ·
i think this is a common problem on our trucks.. i have a small leak too and i think its from there.

#3 ·
you might be able to get to it another way, but the way I do it is by removning the water pump.
I usually change the bypass hose every time I have the pump off for this very reason.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's not the water pump that looks difficult with changing it. The upper part of the bypass hose looks to go under a bracket and disappears. I am hoping I can easily remove the bracket to get to the hose but not sure if there is going to be some hidden obstacles in the way. If anyone has done this on my model, I sure would like to hear some advise before I start tomorrow?

#5 ·
i believe if you unbolt the a/c compressor(4 bolts) and lift it up, theres a slot in the bracket to get at the hose clamp. but the bracjet itself is only 4 bolts too i think. pick your poison. only time i did mine was puttin engine back together so its all kind of a blur.

#6 ·
you can get to the bypass hose without removing anything except the water pump.
The bypass hose is only about 3-5" long, it's basically just an molded elbow.

#8 ·
On my truck, you can get to it by removing the bracket. Removing the pump only leaves the other end of the hose under the bracket. Plus, you then have to put a new seal on the pump. Your setup may be different but I'd try the bracket first.

#9 ·
remove the a/c compressor and alternator, then remove bracket to get to the bypass hose clearly.

#12 ·
You guys were right on with your suggestions. I unbolted the a/c and moved it out of the way (did not decompress it!). I unbolted the alternator and moved it out of the way. I removed the bracket (middle pulley holds a bracket bolt) and the bypass hose was easily accessible. Also, it was a pain to twist off but I finally got it. Job took about 2 to 3 hours. Water pump was never removed. I appreciate all of your comments... Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.