DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Water pump bypass hose tube corroded **PICS**

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  DurangoR ICE 
#1 ·
I am in the garage replacing my water pump. When I disconnected the bypass hose from the tube I noticed that it had seriously corroded. Does Autozone or other car parts stores carry this thing? Does anyone know the actual part name for this?
I dread to think about what the inside of the engine and heater looks like. The water pump fins looked about the same way.

Tube that was corroded.

Tube after it was removed.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you very much. I will be at there door when they open in a few hours!

If this nipple got corroded, and I later found that the heater hose that goes into the side of the water pump was the same way and 4 of the water pump blades were the same way...what else in the engine could have possibly suffered the same fate?

It didnt seem to hurt the aluminum water pump housing. From what I could tell, it was the steel that started eating away. What is the engine block made of?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Block is cast iron. You will need to flush that engine real good and get a strong cleaner to run thru it. Leave the thermostat out to fluch the engine and install it after you get good clean water running thru the block. If NAPA does not have the nipple just go to Dodge, don't waste time searching the other auto parts stores unless you need the truck now and Dodge is closed on the weekend.
The other thing that may be rusted/corroded are the freeze plugs in the block and cylinder head.

#6 ·
I don't have a picture but they look like about 1.5" round holes plugged with metal 'buttons'. They're below the exhaust manifolds on the block. If you look through the passenger wheelwell on a 4.7L you can see 2 of them toward the back of the block. I'll try and get some pics later.

#9 ·
Hey Chump,
Thanks for the recommendation on Napa. Sure enough I called them and they said they have "plenty of them", and to bring mine in so we can match it up.
I always forget about Napa and always go to the places like Autozone. Autozone is a good place, but Napa does rock when it comes to getting those hard to find parts.

#10 ·
I just hate when i go to Napa and something is like an extra $50 more than like murrays or autozone...but i guess you know your gettin quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.