DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

heater core

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  57_kid 
#1 ·
Just bought a new aluminum heater core for my ram 1500 and the pipes are movable is this right and is this where they tend to leak....just wondering before i rip into this project,,

#3 ·
was it hard to do or just time consuming?? did u have to take the dash off?

#4 ·
no I did not take the dash out all the way, I just lifted the passengers side up after the dash was loose and put a jack stand under it then you can see the heater core and get at it,,,, You do have to drop the steering column down , be careful if you have an auto automatic tranny because the little string that moves the shift indicator will break so just undo it before you drop the column, but it wasnt that bad , just take your time go slow and you will get -er -done ,, if you have any specific questions feel free to e-mail me and I will give you as much help as i can..and if you have the time I would highly suggest that you take two shorter days instead of one very long day .. good luck :gr_patrio

#5 ·
thanks alot ive done alot of research on this and i feel better about doing it myself. im going to need it in North Carolina for the christmas vacation. ill ask if i need anything.

Thanks Jordan T

#7 ·
Just replaced mine the other day. I looked at the aluminum core you got and thought the moveable inlet and outlet was a leak waiting to happen so I bought another one from carquest. I took the dash all the way out. Made life really easy. I also broke my indicator cable. I ordered one last week and they had 250 or so on back order. I guess I'm not the only dumbass who busted the cable. They were releasing 5 of them by the end of the year and I paid a little extra to get one. I still have a problem with my heater though. The floor blows hot and so does recirc. But when you have it on vent,defrost or defrost/floor it blows cold out of the defrost and vents. Floor always blows hot. I think I'm gonna have to take the airbox apart.

#8 ·
how long did it take you to replace the core? how hard was taking the dash off/on????

#9 ·
I had it in my shop for a couple days and worked on it here and there when I could. Probably 8 hours combined. I could probably do the job in 3-4 hours now. I ended up taking way more apart than I needed to. I had to snip a few wires that were for my autostart because they were tied into another harness. I added quick disconnects when it went back in. I also made a torx tool for the 2 screws holding the big steering column cover on. Nobody in three different shops had the ones on a t-handle or regular screwdriver type. I just welded a bit onto an old allen wrench and voila,custom tool #2453. If you need any help let me know. The hardest part in my opinion is getting my big hands in to release some of the connectors.

#10 ·
well i just relised the otherday that my dash has cracked all the way down the middle, so i have 2 parts, left/right. dose this mean i get away with only having to take off the right side, or dose everything still have to come off??

#11 ·
There is still a metal framework that will keep the two halves together. It is really easier than you would think. Just get an extra pair of hands when you actually take the dash out and put it back in. I'll walk you through it if you have any questions. A haynes or chilton's really doesn't go into the details of full on dash removal.

#13 ·
alright thanks. i will be starting the projest monday and finishing it tuesday hopely. lol

#14 ·
what brand is the heater core

#15 ·
i bought it at advance auto parts so what ever brand they carry

#17 ·
Its all bolted on no soldering unless you cut some wires and have to repair them...just be careful with the indicator cable they are on backorder to the tune of 250 or more ... just take your time and keep a cool head and it will be easy :gr_patrio

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.