DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ABS and Brake light on, no error codes '96 Ram 1500

45K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  khnitz 
#1 ·
My ABS and Brake warning lights are On in my 1996 Ram CC 4x4 5.2L (Rear ABS only). This was the case when I bought the truck 4 years ago - at that time I read the error codes from the ABS module (via grounding the appropriate pin on the dagnostic connector and reading the blink codes) and found that the Rear Speed Sensor had a fault. I replaced the sensor and everything was working fine.

Now the lights are back on again (15k miles later), but No diagnostic codes are read from the ABS module. Grounding the connector pin results in No Codes being blinked out. It's been a while since I read the codes the last time, but I followed the same procedure but am not getting any codes read out.

So, is there another failure that would cause the ABS AND BRAKE warning lights to be on all the time? Truck brakes fine, the fluid level is good, as well. Could a bad sensor at the master cylinder trigger this? A bad switch at the Emergency Brake pedal? Etc.?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Yes yes and possibly yes.

#5 ·
If the fluid is low it will throw a brake light which the ABS light comes on so thats why I said the fluid level sensor could be.
Same thing about the E brake if the Ebrake is on and causeing friction and making one wheel lock before the other again same thing can throw a light.
The brake pedal switch usually causes the rear lights to stick on but you might want to take it to a mechanic as sometimes it takes a special scanner to read brake codes also.

#6 ·
The 4wheel ABS and post-MY96 RAMs seem to need the diagnostic tool to read the ABS codes. I've dumped mine before with the "ground pin 13 and read the blink codes" method...it's just that grounding pin 13 isn't triggering a readout this time, makes me think that no codes are stored.

I'll start with the brake fluid level sensor first, then.

Brake lights are working fine, and the e-brake is fully released (no dragging), so those aren't likely culprits.

Thanks!

#7 ·
Mine is 4wheel ABS.

#8 ·
Well, I finally fixed this today. I had the truck in at the dealer for an oil change this past week, and they also had a coupon for a free diagnostic code reading, so I thought I'd see if they could read the RWAL codes from the CAB with their diagnostic tool. They ALSO were unable to read a code. They did say they checked the fuse and it looked fine, and they didn't see anything obviously wrong with the wiring. So, I was still stuck in the same place.

I was on a vehicle-repair tear today, as I helped my step-son fix a couple issues on his Volvo 940 wagon this morning. So, I decided to look back into the trouble with the ABS warning lights today. I printed out the section of the repair manual with Diagnostic Test 6 for the RWAL CAB and started stepping through that. I also printed out the relevant section of the wiring diagram for the RWAL circuit.

The problem: Fuse #20 - STOP LAMP was blown. I replaced the fuse and the warning lamps went out. I had also pulled another CAB (Controller, Anti-Lock) from another 1996 Ram in the u-pull-it yard today, just in case, and I tested that in my truck, too (that spare looks to work fine, too).

So, when checking the fuses for the Rear Wheel Anti-Lock control unit, you need to make sure that BOTH fuse #14 - RWAL/ABS (20A, this circuit is switched with Ignition) and fuse #20 - STOP LAMP (15A, this circuit is a constant battery feed) are OK.

Again, the symptoms that presented were that BOTH the BRAKE and ABS warning lamps were lit on the dash, and I was unable to retrieve diagnostic codes from the ABS unit. This makes sense, now, as the ABS unit did not have BOTH of the power feeds that it needs.

#9 ·
this happened to me today too, but i lost the speedo. Had brake light/abs light and then check engine and no speedo. Truck was stalling whenever i slowed down. No problem restarting. Standard tranny is not easy to rev hit the brakes and hold the clutch to stop and keep it running.

Why would anything related to the speed sensor in the rear diff cause the stalling???

#10 ·
The stalling seems odd...the rear diff sensor shouldn't be related to that.

I had an issue with my '96 where the truck would stall at slow speed, and I really had to keep my foot on the gas (but not too much) to keep it running. It got worse and worse over the course of an evening to where it finally died. It would restart an hour or so later, and then slowly die out. For that, it turned out to be a plugged catalytic converter.

#11 ·
my truck restarts instantly everytime and seems to idle, but a little rough not to bad. When i start moving and let off the gas is when it drops, but at that same token its only upon slowing down completely i can leave it in fourth and let off without the instant drop to stall until under 1000 rpms

#12 ·
From what you're describing, I don't know that the ABS will be involved in your problem.

I'd suggesting starting a new post with your problem description to get the best help for it. A topic title focused on your issue will likely direct help to your situation quicker.

Good Luck!

#13 ·
figured i would add 1 more post since i absolutely hate when you dont see the anwser that resolved the problem. I replaced the abs sensor and viola i have solved all the issues as of now. My CEL is off along with a working speedo, no lights what so ever and the stalling is gone as well.

I had read other posts with manuals sayin the stalling was happening to them. I have no logic as to why this is, but its not doing it anymore so thats all i care about

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.