DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sway bar end link nut

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Caravan05850 
#1 ·
2000 Caravan. I had a garage replace my sway bar end links about a year ago and one of them is bad now. I bought a new one and was going to replace it my self. The nut on the old one and new one appears to be 18mm, however a socket doesn't fit on it, nor does a 18mm box end wrench. The 18mm open end wrench fits on it perfect, but I'm pretty sure I will strip the nut trying to loosen the old one. An 19mm socket is too big. I've tried SAE sockets also.

Why doesn't the 18m socket fit on? I've tried the six point socket and 12 point box end wrench.

#3 ·
Are you sure the socket isn't bottoming out on the stud? (Maybe you need a deep socket.)

#4 ·
I had the nut on the new one backed all the way out so a shallow socket would fit over it. I did locate a 18mm deep well that fits on it with some effort, much tighter than any other nuts I've seen. I'm going to replace it this weekend. Not much room on the bottom one to work with though. I have an electric impact gun that works good if there is enough space. But these were just replaced a year ago by a garage, so should come off OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.