DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 SFA conversion kit.

26K views 53 replies 26 participants last post by  oefootball_70 
#1 ·
Looking at designing a kit one that can be installed by the average guy, in his driveway without needing a ton of custom parts and welding. I'm debating a leaf spring kit or a 4 link design. Something that would make the kit reasonable in cost. provide plenty of articulation and suspension travel and use a common axle sourced from most salvage yards or craigslist list. I was leaning towards a second gen axle or a 3gen 2500/3500 axle. Because then it stays mopar, and keeps factory parts for ease of maintenance. Lets hear your thoughts. IFS is nice on the street but a solid axle is king on the trail. Once the first kit is built I could crank out 10-15 kits a week, so production is nit an issue and if the cost is similar to say a 6inch lift for a half ton, it should do well. Again let's hear your ideas, I'm up for any of them.

#3 ·
Would like to hear more.

#4 ·
I don't have a 1500 anymore, but I think this is an awesome idea. I would have loved to convert my 05

#6 ·
4 link would be killer. I think maybe a coilover would be better then a leaf,but its way more money. I have been thinking of a solid axle due to the amount of problems I have had in the last week or two with IFS parts.

#10 ·
I like the idea.

I'm sure the 2nd gen axels would work good. But did 2nd gen axels come with 3:92s? People might have to think about regearing for this swap. But hell, they are going this far, might as well throw a set of gears in the rear. lol

I think a 4 Link would be the best...although leafs would be a little easier on the wallet. Maybe if you get enough interested you could fab both.

I spend $18k on my SFA swap...so I'm sure your way will be cheaper lol

#11 ·
You could bolt on a cross member or two with 4-link mounts to facilitate an easier install without welding. Leaf springs will be simpler/cheaper. 4-link will probably perform better on the trail (but a good leaf spring setup can be VERY capable).

#12 ·
there is a member on here who did it,but he did it all top of the line. If i was going to do it, on the cheap....i would source a full 1500 front end, axle, coils, control arms, coil buckets on frame......that would be my first option....other then that.....leaf springs would be easiest.....on the front of your frame weld up a spring perch usinga crossmember going across both frame horns and then shackles further down onthe frame.....of course your gonna need a steering box and pittman arm...drag link. you will needa traction bar for a coil sprung front end....both can be done for the same price as a IFS lift or cheaper if you dont go overboard.

#13 ·
sounds very interesting

#14 ·
Leaf Springs - $500
u bolts - $20
perches - $20
shocks - $100
pitman arm - $80
shackles - $80
gears - $250
master install kit for gears - $100
Brakes - $100
custom drag link - $250
drive shaft - $250

Total without axle roughly $1750.

Axle options
3rd gen dana 60 dodge front as suggested - $1000
Pros - ABS sensor should plug right up
Cons - unit bearing. 8 lug. No way to convert to 5 lug (possibly at all, kits available to convert to chevy 6 lug for $1200) and keep your ABS sensor. Trucks that had these are not usually at scrap yards so they are hard to find.

Ford Dana 60 - $1300
Pros - high pinion, kingpin-stronger than balljoint, non unit bearing
cons - 8 lug, chevy 6 lug hubs available for $350 per side, unsure if dodge 5 lug is available. Can't keep your ABS stuff.

Ford Dana 44 - $500-$1000
Pros - high pinion, can be found with 5x5.5 bolt pattern
cons - Rare/Hard to find and the price reflects. Cannot keep ABS

If you go with 8 lug front, then you have the issue of changing the rear out as well so you can have matching wheels. You can find 14bolts for $200 fairly easily though.

That's just parts, then there is all the fabrication and design involved in the sas kits ontop of the time/labor of the actual install.

I'm sure I left some stuff out, but that should let some people in on what is actually involved price and part wise.

I've been on the hunt for a ford dana 44 for afew months now with no luck, granted I live in Arkansas and the population just isnt what it is in a lot of places.

#15 ·
As byrdawg13 mentioned, steering is the big one that most folks don't consider. You can't use the stock rack. Everything needs to be sourced new and retrofitted. New box, new mount, pittman arm, drag link and tierod as well as TRE's or heims at your ends.
Good times!

#17 ·
If you were to use leafs, I would use leafs from a older model solid axle chevy, coils will come from the sfa dodge, as far as axles.....ive got a few in my local craigslist for about 300 bucks

#18 ·
The problem with the older chevy axle is the brakes. If the swap is worth it, it has to have the same stoping power of the current setup.

#19 ·
no i would use the ram 1500 solid front axle......i would use the chevy leaf springs. I woul make shackles for the rear and a crossmember type mount on the front of the frame horns.

#20 ·
we can tell you what we would do and how much we would spend all day long....hit up ce2flaco, he has done it.

#23 ·
I took the easy way out when I got the SAS on my 1500.

I just ordered a 4x4 MegaCab 1500.

#24 ·
I wish I would've done this.

#25 ·
Guy I know did a SFA on his 1500, set up looks really good. Its a 90 somethin front axle from an f150. He used coil overs and a bunch of custom brackets that got welded to the frame. Truck sits on 40s, but he never got a front driveshaft made and never swapped to the correct gears in the front. Rear end is a 3.92 and the front is a 3.73 i think

#32 ·
In the 90s ford used a twin traction beam front end. It was a hybrid between a full on IFS and a solid axle. I can see a f250 or 350 axle being used, but why would someone go through the work to make an IFS truck a TTB truck. Besides, ttb was not that great of an idea, def not much better then IFS and def worse then SFA

#26 ·
I vaguely remember seeing photos, maybe here somewhere, of a guy who did that to his Ram.

Here's a quick Google search for Ram 1500 SAS. A cursory look seems to be a pretty thorough step by step. Looks like it was also posted over on Pirate.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/thread-2003-Ram-1500-SAS

#27 ·
Op says about leaf's or a 4link. Why not a 3link with a Panhard? Easier to package and make fit without being tall.

I have done SAS's but not on Ram's. Good luck getting this done, most dont realize how much work it can be. Material cost and joints alone for a good link setup will be pricy and the little shit like brake lines can add up fast.

#28 ·
Materials are not an issue. I'm looking to design a kit that uses factory parts that can be sourced with parts from a salvage yard. 3link is a possibility, I honestly have not looked under my truck yet. Really all that needs to be removed, replaced, but a complete axle swap is really notthat bad. Andcan be done for not much more than a IFS suspension lift. Link bars can be done with standard bushings, or heim's and therefor the cost can be kept down or over the top. Building the brackets and links can be done cheap. The raw materials can be had for cheap. I'm guessing I could get 2-3 sets of brackets built out of a single 4X8 sheet of 1/4 in plate. And a sheet of plate can be had for ~$180 the big issue for most of it is the fab time to build them. But having CNC capability that fab time can be cut down to a few hours instead of a week or more. Once I complete the swap on my truck, (hopefully by the end of winter) I'll be able to give a full breakdown of the parts cost. I will then be able to easily duplicate my build for anyone intrested. As wells have a source for all the needed salvage yard parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.