DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ram rebuild

4K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  Moparite 
#1 ·
Hi I have a couple question rebuilding my deceased fathers truck 1999 dodge ram 1500 sport model with the 5.9 I know it needs a new engine but my question is my friend from work said to get the 5.7 same hookups and easier to fine or would it be better to stick with stock engine also what else should I replace in according to that its been a while since I've done any engine work should I pay someone or do it myself I'm capable would just need a lift to pull engine also as far as transmission I know it was jerking some and the truck wouldn't power up hill until u popped in neutral then go then would ride fine before hand would lose power but should I go ahead and replace that too also I've seen engine on automotix bout 1200 bucks for engine reman with 1 year warranty is this a good idea or would junkyard engine be better or do y'all know of any good suppliers that would be better

#35 ·
Don't know about Advance but I've heard quite a few horror stories on Autozone engines so you should probably try and find a few reviews before you go that route.
If it was me I'd find a local machine shop and have them build one or take my chances on a junkyard pull(after compression/leakdown tests of course).

#36 ·
For used engine, best to find one you can hear run; but will be hard to find, and still may have issues.
... Being that truck will be kept in the family, engine of decent quality makes sense; start looking, never know whats out there till you look/price different options.
... Might find a rustbucket, or trans out, whole parts truck, orrrrr

#37 ·
I still think you are giving up on the engine too soon. Drop the pan and look at the internals. Better yet, pull it out of the truck and do a proper inspection. You will have to pull it for a used or reman anyway. A blown head gasket could have left a cylinder full of water which in turn caused the rings in that cylinder to seize to the block. That is not unrepairable damage. Pop the heads off and take a look.

#38 ·
I'm still gonna try and mess with this one as much as I can but as far as engines this one seems to be hard to find imma take the heads off and oil pan within the next few days I'm just wondering if it will be fixable as far as pulling I don't have a lift or cherry picker to lift it out so my option is fixing as it sits or do a swap

#40 ·
Before possibly wasting time on it; determine how much more coolant is in crankcase; IIRC oil level was said to be "halfway up the stick", and said you drained at least a cup of coolant out of the pan since.

... Only takes a few minutes to slowly drain/catch/measure ish coolant from pan; but may save you days of time, scratched fenders, lost parts and "forgot where they go", over a possibly worthless disassembled boat anchor

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.