DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROLL CALL!!! Dodge Van/Wagon Owners

108K views 418 replies 124 participants last post by  ShaggyCR 
#1 · (Edited)
ROLL CALL!!! Dodge Ram Van/Wagon Owners

Hey All,

I saw a few Van guys posting around this forum. I'm surprized there are not more, considering how many of these Vans are on the road (and how long they've been around). :gr_patrio

I have a "new" 2003 1500 LWB Conversion van with minimal frills and the 5.9L motor. It moves around effortlessly.

I'm interested in what performance mods that work on our Vans from the Ram Truck.

Post here with some info/experiences on your van and if you have done or are planning any mods! :cool:

Reactions: bigradvan
#2 · (Edited)
Hey Moderators/Administrators,

Think it would be possible to create a forum specific to the Ram Van (A-Van, B-Van etc)? I think the old soldier deserves at least that... :)

Thanks!

Matt

#3 ·
I just bought a '94 B250 Ram Van with Elk Van conversion. It has a 5.2L engine with A518 tranny. Runs great! I'll be doing some mods after my service contract ends...don't want to void it!

I also own a 1969 Dodge A-100 van and a 1969 Dodge A-108 Xplorer 21 motorhome.

My grandfather had a '77 Dodge B-100 Sportsman.....ah the memories.

#4 ·
Hi Dodgevanman!

3 Dodge vans! Wow, I guess you know a little bit about em? :)

You have a point about waiting for the warranty to go out before serious mods... Did you know that auto manufacturers can NOT void your entire warranty if you've done modifications? If they can prove that the mod caused the problem, then they can void the warranty, BUT only on the specific part/system affected. I believe the law is called the Magnuson Act or somthin like that. Although your warranty company may not play by those rules.

I just had a Magnaflow muffler installed today. Just replaced the stock muffler with it. (Although a stainless tip is in the future, next payday maybe!) The sound is awesome! :rck: Very deep powerful tone, yet only very minor drone on the interior. On the highway in OD there is no drone at all!

I was looking to get a dual setup, but there are brake lines right above the left side of the axle that block the way :huh:

Anyway, sorry for the ranting!

Come on van guys, I know there are more of us! Post here!:D

#5 ·
I wanted to run duals on mine, but since I have the 35 gal. gas tank it overlaps the rear frame rail on the right side and doesn't leave room for a tailpipe. I was thinking of going with a high-flow catalytic converter and a Dynomax Turbo Muffler and maybe enlarging the exhaust to 3". I also wanted to install either a Hypertech or Jet ECM chip and K&N filter. I won't be adding headers since the stock Magnum manifolds flow pretty well. I'm not going to go crazy with this engine....at least not to begin with. That 5.2L needs some more thump to move that heavy van around.

#6 ·
I have the 35gal tank too, but I think there is clearance, but they also moved the spare tire to the underside so I've got that to deal with too... I could relocate the spare (Tire carrier?) and have the pipes split off after the rear axle, but I think that would look silly from behind. I didn't know that the Magnum manifolds already flow well, sweet.

What would be the benifit to going full 3" exhaust? I believe we are 2.5" stock.

I'm not looking to build a drag demon (although that would be one hell of a sleeper! :thatfunny ) I'm just trying to get some more power and gas mileage out of the motor, as well as increase its longevity. I've been looking at hypertech and they already make one for an 03 Ram w/5.9L, but don't know if that'll work with the Van?

What do you think about switching to a 180tstat? I know it would be a PITA to change in our vans... Cooler engine, longer life?

Is your van a 2500 (3/4 ton)? What makes a 2500 different from a 1500? I figure the 2500 is more heavy duty? I saw a high top LWB Dogde van on ebay once, it was the 2500 version but with the 3.9L V6!! Talk about a DOG. :IDEA:

#7 ·
Yes my van still uses the old B250 (3/4 ton) designation. I think in either 95 or 96 is when they started the 1500, 2500, 3500 thing on the vans....trucks switched over before that. So yes my van is a 3/4 ton. For along time Dodge built they're conversions on 3/4 ton chassis and even on 1 ton chassis for the Maxi-Van conversions.

Your gas tank is on the left hand side (filler door in center of van) where my tank is still at the rear. I think the vans changed to this in 98. Your exhaust exits on the passenger side where mine exits on the driver's side. Since my gas tank is at the rear it doesn't leave me any room for dual exhaust, so I was considering a larger single exhaust to make up the difference. 3" exhaust flows better than 2.5" since the pipe is bigger in diameter, but I wouldn't go much bigger....MAYBE 3.5" depending on engine mods.

#8 ·
Cool, so Dodge switched to a lighter duty 1/2 for Conversions (except Maxi) around the 95-96 time frame. Wonder why? I know '94 was the first year of the "major" redesign since '79? Aerodynamic styling up front with trademark Dodge crossheir grill and new taillights. In '98 Dodge gave it a pointier nose and relocated the gas tank and spare tire (non Maxi) and moved the exhaust to the pass side. They also changed the turn signal light lenses to orange. I prefer the 94-97 clear style much better. -That seemed like a step backward? Wonder if I could retrofit those lenses? I know for '03 Dodge bumped up the wheel size to 16" standard. There is a nice set on Ebay with Bridgestone Dueler tires (new takeoffs).

My parents had a '94 G20 SWB Chevy van (old style) w/4.3L V6. Thats what got me into vans, although i'd have to say the Dodge is definately superior to that van.

#10 ·
No...the clear style turn signal lenses won't work on 98-03 models. That new front end is completely different. The headlights, grill, fenders, turnsignal lenses, etc. are all different. Because the 98-03 nose angles out, all those mentioned parts are angled accordingly.

#11 ·
RAM MAN said:
YES

its going to happen

stand by though . . . .

and STAY TUNED !

GREAT NEWS!!!! Looking forward to it! Thanks again RAM MAN!

Because the 98-03 nose angles out, all those mentioned parts are angled accordingly.
Yes, I had a chance to look at the 94-97 turn signal housing, and while it does look like it would bolt on, it would look recessed on my '03 and give the headlights a "bug-eyed" look LOL.

How long have you had your '94 Dodgevanman?

#13 ·
Cool, I've had my van for just over a month... I'm averaging just over 13MPG with mostly around town driving.... I knew what I was getting into when I bought it in regards to gas mileage... so I won't b*tch about gas prices...:drivingz:

#14 ·
Here are some pics of my Ram Van: :)

#16 ·
Thanks RAM MAN! Any word on the new Van section?

On a side note, I ran my van by a local truck scale. She weighed in at 5400 lbs empty with a 3/4 tank of gas. Heavy Metal. :rck:

#18 ·
Thanks! You've got one of the best looking Rams I've ever seen. Nice work! :cool: Does your Ram have the 5 x 5 1/2" wheel bolt spacing? Hmm...

#20 ·
another dodge van man here

Reactions: AJCC
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.