DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question about using a timing light on a 88 model

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Speed Dragon 
#1 ·
Here is a little history first. I bought this truck (1988 D-150 318 TBI) a while back and it never has had quite the power I thought it should. Also it would die frequently. I let the parts store hook up a code reader and it would not recognize the computer. The computer was brand new when I bought the truck and it looked like a new one. So I began to nose around with it trying to find problems. First I found no vacum to the EGR valve. Found out all the ports on the throttle body were plugged up with carbon and not allowing the pcv valve to work. This also did not allow several other vacuum items to function so I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it all up. Then I used mopar combustion chamber cleaner in the truck as per instructed. Then I decided to hook up a timing light and check the timing and found it was way off. In fact I could not even see the mark on the crank pulley at all until I began to adjust the distributor and then it started to come into sight. The catalyst sticker calls for 10 degrees before TDC so I set it their and it ran like crap!!! The only way I can get it to run halfway decent is to set the timing by ear and when I do then once again the mark is completely out of site and the scale can not even be seen. It does run a little better their but pings. Also my tranny shifts hard and late. I gave it a full tune up and oil change after the mopar combustion chamber cleaner and replaced the EGR valve. I also unhooked the battery and let it set overnight in case the changes would somehow affect the computer. This is a 1988 Dodge D-150 4X4 with a 318 TBI and 108,000 miles and I am told was the first year that computers were used on the trucks. Does the computer truly control timing on these like the newer ones ? My haynes manual does not say anything out of the ordinary about timing this truck. I know their can be some allowance for wear on the timing with an engine that has 108,000 miles but their should not be that much. Do the 88 models with computers still need the timing set with a light or have I really missed something? I am getting ready to go out and pull the #1 plug and run it TDC and see if the distributor is in line with the #1 plug. Could it have jumped time? I have driven it to work every day for a month or more! I would appreciate any replies, thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
on fuel injected Mopars, you have to unplug the coolant sensor to set the timing properly. the computer reads it to help determine how much advance the engine needs at different temps. basiacally does the same thing as the vacuum advance does on older models, only more refined. what you do is unplug the coolant sensor(not the sending unit for the gauge), set the timing with the light just as you normally would, plug the sensor back up, shut off the vehicle and crank it back up, and you should be done. also, some of the newer trucks have the timing mark on the flywheel and a hole in the bellhousing to see it through.

#3 ·
Thank you for this info! Is the coolant sensor vacuum operated or is it an electrical device? Also does anyone know where its located and what it looks like on a 88 model with TBI?

#4 ·
It's electrical. It's probably near the the thermostat housing and has a two or three wire connector going to it.

I recommend trying to find a factory service manual and trash that Haynes manual. You can find manuals on Ebay or on CD-ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.