DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My A/C is blowing hot air?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  geissap 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 2002 Intrepid for $1,000. We needed a 2nd car so we took it. So far i feel like we've got quite the steal. However, the A/C just doesn't turn the cold air quick enough.

My first thought was it must need Freon. I went down to Advance Auto Parts and they told me that Freon doesn't exist anymore, and the sold me a bottle of R-134a.

I bought a 22 dollar can that comes with a hose, coupler, guage, trigger and then the bottle of R-134a. Interdynamics Arctic Freeze is the brand.

Problem is when I went home to put it on I looked eveywhere for the A/C valve and I think i found it. It's on the left side of the car on an aluminum tube almost right next to the battery. It has a large black dust cap on it. The coupler does not fit on it though. It looks like it's got a "tit" sticking up and my coupler also has a "tit." Just doesn't seem right to me...and it definitely doesn't push on. Do i need some sort of adapter or something? Is R-134a the stuff I'm supposed to be using?

#2 ·
Yes, R134-a is the correct refrigerant. The Intrepid takes 1.75lbs if completely empty.

It sounds like you found the high side fill fitting, which is not the one you want to use. That one is by the compressor next to the battery on the 2.7. If you have a 2.7 engine the correct fill point is in the aluminum pipe that runs back to the firewall-- about halfway between the compressor, and the firewall. You have to take off the air cleaner top and piping up to the engine to get to it. The pipe is about 1/2 inch in diameter. 3.2/3.5 engines the a/c fill point is right on top of the compressor, next to the oil dipstick.

The can of refrigerant they gave you probably has a plastic quick connect on it-- they can be difficult to push onto the fitting, but it should have a collar on it that you pull up on while you are pushing the connector down onto the fitting.

As for the a/c not working in the first place, my guess would be the evaporator is leaking, its pretty common on these cars. I just had to replace mine this past week.

#3 ·
Well I think I messed up.

I found the low fitting, turned on the car, turned on the air full blast, got the coupler all the way on and started filling it up cause it showed low. Right when I got it to the blue on the gauge. It starting oozing orange crap out of the radiator so...I don't know.

I can't hear the compressor kicking in when I hit the A/C. I think maybe the compressor wasn't on and from what I understand it's supposed to be.

Is there a way to tell if the evaporator is leaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.