DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

99 Caravan Hub Removal

893 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  dirtmover 
#1 ·
I have either a brake shoe or bearing going out on the rear of my 99 Caravan. I have tried to remove the hub with out any luck at all. I have made sure the emergency brake is not on. Any ideas???
Thanks
FB

#2 ·
You mean the brake "drum" right?

Does it wiggle slightly when you pull on it and then pull back like springs are holding it in?

There are two possibilities-- one is rust between the drum and the hub-- you can use some rust penetrant in the holes around the lugs to help loosen that.

If it wiggles as said above, but won't come off, then it is the brake shoes holding it on. Over time a slight ridge will build up on the inner edge of the drum as the shoes wear their way into it. This will catch on the shoes as you try to pull the drum off. The way to get it off is to use a brake adjuster (sometimes called a "brake spoon") or a couple of screwdrivers to back of the adjuster wheel which is accessible from an access hole on the back cover-- usually with a rubber insert to keep water out. Once you back it off enough, the drum will clear the shoes and come off.

#3 ·
Here's a picture of the right rear brake on my Durango (after I repaired it). The adjuster is the thing that goes between the bottom of the two shoes and has a wheel in the middle with bumps on it that catch an adjuster lever that only lets it turn one way (tighter). You have to reach in an push the lever out of the way with a long thin screwdriver while you turn the wheel the other way to loosen the shoes.

Attachments

#6 ·
Aggressive Solution

Hi, I had this problem on one of my cars and I tried everything. The drum had been on there for about 5 or 6 years without being removed and was corroded on. The penitrating oil did not work for me. Make sure you try backing the break pads the whole way off the drum like the post above instructs before you try this!!! If the drum still will not come off, as was my experience, give this a try.

WARNING, this may damage and/or bend the drum and cause you to have to replace it. I went to Tracktor Supply and got the biggest gear puller they sell, which was just big enough to grip the edges of the drum. I used that to apply enought force to pop the drum loose. Be carefull to use a small piece of scrap metal in the middle so that the pointed tip on the center bolt does not damage the bearing dust cover. This is definitely a last ditch solution but when all else failed this was what worked for me.

Good Luck,

Matt

#8 ·
I've had luck with a propane torch. I spray PBBlaster into the hub area and just play the torch around the face of the drum. At the same time, I use a couple of screwdrivers between the drum and the backing plate to exert some constant pressure.

#10 ·
They rust on, that's why you should take them of regularly and clean them. I usually smear a small amount of grease on where it contacts the hub which helps considerably for next time.

Make sure you relieve the parking brake on the side you are working on. You do this by pulling some slack where the cable splits between left and right and use a vicegrip to hold it slack.

Rotate, heat and beat are all good tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.