DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigger Alternator

901 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  pdpunome 
#1 ·
I have an 04 QC 4x4 1500, just over 100k mi owned since brand new. Truck all in good working order, maintenence kept up with by dealership.

Apologies for the length but want to give you the info

I have the Warn hidden Winch mount so all you see is the fairleed. Earlier this year with some river crossings that were deeper than normal due to snow melt, ended up winching out a few of my buddies. One of which hydrolocked in the deepest part of the river. It was moving so fast my buddies couldn't even hold the tow strap in the water. I was on the other side and had to winch him the entire way, lead basically all the way out. In the process of winching, especially as the lead started to get in some and the winch technically became less efficient, I started to see the alternator dropping. It dropped to the point I got on the throttle to keep from stalling. That managed to work, we winched him all the way across then got to pulling the spark plugs, etc to get him back on the road. For the future, can I just put in a bigger alternator to give that puppy more juice? Does that mess with any of the electrical components of the truck to do so? Also, small issue but I don't want to put a synthetic cable on because in my experience you end up winching in less than ideal conditions and I like having steel on there in case if rubs on rocks and such, not that it would have made much if any difference here

TL: DR Can I just pop on a bigger alternator to power the winch when really pulling hard (if so how big, which one)? Is a second battery/dedicated circuit a better call, because that sounds more complex than needed.

Thanks in advance. Your help is appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

I talked to Desert Rat today and they said they offer a tune that ups RPMs when winching. A bigger alternator may not really do all that much in my situation. Basically I think just need to plan on being on the throttle when winching. Perhaps I could run a 2nd battery. That way I'll have 2 batteries worth if I'm ever stalled and need to get out.

I was on the throttle pretty deep in this particular situation but I was pulling a 5K Lb truck through 3 ft of fast moving water over a rock(baby head type) bottom. And it was hydrolocked so it wasn't doing me any favors. That bastard was pulling with everything it had.

#4 ·
You didn't say which engine you had but I believe the mod works on all the gas models.

======================================
Post by Redtruck-VA

“High Idle Mod” I'll post about what I've done on my 03. When fired up cold it idles at 800 rpm, as it warms to normal temperature it slowly settles to 625-650 rpm. What I did was splice a 12vdc automotive relay into the power steering pressure sensor wire. The sensor is normally closed and when it senses high pressure, the sensor opens and this signals the PCM to raise the idle. The relay in the open position also signals the PCM to raise the idle. Unfortunately this affects drivability if left open. So I use a rpm window switch to close the relay at 1100 rpm to reflect normal operating condition. Simple, above 1100 rpm everything is normal, below 1100 rpm the PCM is signaled that there is a high pressure condition and raises the idle.

Also ...
http://offroadengineering.com/product-offroad-jeep.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.