DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2003 Grand Caravan oil pump?

10K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  kmr16442 
#1 ·
Hi there, I'm new to this forum, but it seemed to be a good place to ask this question. I've got a 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, with the 3.3 liter V6 engine. The oil light on the dashboard has been coming on if the revs drop below 1k rpm or so, but only if its kinda cold outside (30ish degrees), and only after the engine warms to operating temperature. I noticed the oil light on, and this behaviour and thought I had a clogged filter or some such, so I had the oil changed, and it still does this.

I did notice this past weekend when it hit 60 degrees (in feburary no less) that the oil light did not come on after the engine warmed to operating temperature.

Is it possible that the oil pump is starting to go out in this engine? I don't want to have to spend $100 for a new pump, gaskets, oil, etc etc etc without feeling better about knowing what the problem is.

Thanks for any advice.

--Tommy

#2 ·
I think a new oil pump installed would be a little more than $100. The usual first step for this kind of thing is to change the oil pressure sender since that's a common problem. Also check the sender wiring. You could attach a real pressure gauge and check the actual pressure too.

#3 ·
I agree with Rick. You either have a sender problem which would be an easy and cheap fix or you have really do have low oil pressure that is either caused by the pump failing(pretty unlikely although not impossible) or bearing wear or damage.

#5 ·
You need to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see how much psi you have at idle. If it is within specs (minimum of 5 psi at idle) then you have a bad sensor. The pressure sensor is located on the oil filter connector housing.

Do you know the service history? I had a car once where the previous owner never changed the oil. The oil pickup screen was full of crude and made the oil light come on at idle.

TSB NUMBER: 09-004-02 talks about a stuck oil pressure relief valve on 2001 & 2002 models maybe it carries over to 2003?

DATE: Jun. 10, 2002

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 09-007-01 DATED AUGUST 31, 2001, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE AN ADDITIONAL MODEL YEAR.
SUBJECT:
Stuck Oil Pressure Relief Valve

MODELS:

2001 - **2002** (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

2001 - **2002** RG Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES **BUILT PRIOR TO JANUARY 1, 2002** EQUIPPED WITH A 3.3L (SALES CODE EGA) OR 3.8L (SALES CODE EGH/EGM) ENGINE.

DISCUSSION:

There have been reported incidents of stuck oil pressure relief valve assemblies in the chain case cover. With a stuck oil pressure relief valve, the oil pressure is not regulated as it is supposed to be, resulting in possible low oil pressure and engine damage due to oil starvation.

When a short engine is replaced, replace the chain case cover assembly if any of the following symptoms are present:
^ The vehicle exhibited low or no oil pressure at idle

^ There is metal debris in the oil pan upon removal from engine

^ Main or rod bearing(s) are spun

^ Crankshaft rod or main journals are scored

^ Intermittent oil light flashing off and on

The purpose of replacing the chain case cover is to prevent damage to a second engine due to a stuck oil pressure relief valve. Before the oil filter adapter is reattached to the new short engine, verify that oil feed and return passages are clear of debris that may hinder oil flow or re-enter the oil pressure relief valve on the new engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.