DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another happy AmsOil Hemi

20K views 65 replies 28 participants last post by  HemiRoy 
#1 ·
Well, I just finished the dual remote bypass install on my 03 Hemi. I am very happy, I also became a dealer in the process, thanks to Bill (sgbofav) So far I got a (holy shit) 2.0 mile per gallon increase. And my idiot temp guage dropped about a 1/4 inch from the half point and stayes there. After all my friends saw my new addition to my truck , they all want one. SO I'm gonna hook them up and make some money in the process.

Thanks Bill , and thanks to amsoil

Dank

PS: Amsoil ATF and Gear Lube is next!!
and an AirFilter when they make one?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
Not to hijack a thread here but what exactly is this bypass? And whats its benefits?

KB

#5 ·
its the best oil made, and well proven, 25,000 mile oil change or more, lower operatiing temp, more MPG, more power/performance. you can get it from SGBOFAV (bill) here on dodgetalk, since he's the dealer for this forum.

kale

#6 ·
KB112,

Here is a link to an explanation of the bypass system. You did not hijack the thread.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/bf.html

Engine wear is caused by dirt particles larger than 5 microns. The AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter removes particles as small as 1/10 of a micron, virtually eliminating engine wear. AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filters filter all the oil in a six-quart system in about five minutes at an average engine speed equivalent to 45 mph.

The AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter provides the best possible filtration protection against wear, oil degradation, rust and corrosion. Working in conjunction with the engine’s full-flow oil filter, the AMSOIL By-Pass Filter operates by filtering oil on a "partial-flow" basis. It draws approximately ten percent of the oil at any one time and traps the extremely small, wear-causing contaminants and water that full-flow filters can’t remove. The AMSOIL By-Pass Filter typically filters all the oil in the system several times an hour, so the engine continuously receives analytically clean oil.

Reduces Wear
Approximately 60 percent of all engine wear is caused by dirt particles in the 5 to 20 micron range. These particles can get inside the precision clearances between engine components and cause severe damage. While full-flow oil filters generally stop contaminants no smaller than 25 to 40 microns, the AMSOIL By-Pass Filter effectively stops particles smaller than one micron in size, substantially reducing engine wear.

Prevents Oil Degradation, Rust and Corrosion
Water enters motor oil as a combustion by-product or as a condensate. Water contamination of the motor oil can cause extreme engine damage. Water causes metal surface rust and corrosion, which increases friction and wear and deteriorates the close-fitting tolerances between engine components. In addition, water reacts with other oil contaminants to form corrosive acids, which also damage metal components. The AMSOIL By-Pass Filter removes water, reducing the risk of oil degradation, engine rust and corrosion.

Extends Oil Drain Intervals
Because the AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter removes water and particles smaller than one micron, it significantly increases the time oil can safely be left in the engine. In fact , engines using AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil and an AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter routinely show much lower rates of engine wear - even when the oil is used for significantly longer drain intervals - than engines using conventional products and conventional oil drain intervals. That saves motorists time and money and helps protect the environment by creating substantially less used oil.

Dual Remote Filter System
The AMSOIL Dual Remote Oil Filtration System converts an engine’s full-flow oil filter system into a full-flow/by-pass oil filtration system by attaching an AMSOIL Full-Flow Oil Filter and AMSOIL Spin-On By-Pass Oil Filter onto a remote mount. The Dual Remote System provides superior filtration efficiency, increased oil capacity and improved oil filtration accessibility.

PM or email me at sgbofav@yahoo.com if you want more information including the cost as well as the oil you should use.

Bill,

#8 ·
Thanks for the update. This is awesome...I love coming to this board and soaking up info like the Bypass soaks up Particles LOL I am convinced to use AMSOIL in my next truck hopefully a Hemi Quad soon. Thanks again for the info Bill.

KB

#9 · (Edited)
wombie said:
What kind of cost are we talking about for a full bypass system. Anyone know?
Bmk-13 Dual Bypass system: $152.50 Wholesale, $201.00 Retail

Full flow filters:
SDF-15 full flow oil filter: $8.00 W. $10.45 R.
SDF-26 " " $13.85 W. $18.30 R.

Bypass filters:
BE-90 $20.50 W. $26.25 R.
BE-100 $22.85 W. $29.40 R.
BE-110 $25.00 W. $31.95 R.

Here are the filter dimensions: AMSOIL Filters
Full-flow DIA. Height By-Pass DIA. Height
SDF-26 3.75" 7.04" BE-110 4.25" 10.375"
SDF-15 3.75" 5.19" BE-100 4.25" 7.375"
BE-90 4.25" 5.750"

Both the SDF-15 and SDF-26 can be used as a standard oil filter in your 3.9, 4.7, 5.2/5.9, 5.7, and 8.0 engines. I currently use the SDF-15 in both of my trucks.

The Preferred customer plan is how to get the wholesale prices. It costs $10.00 for 6 months and $20.00 for a year.

If you were to buy (1) BMK-13 with an SDF-26 filter, 1 BE-100, and a sign up as a preferred customer for 1 year, you would save $40.00 . This doesn't include the savings on the oil or oil analysis either.

With this set-up,you change the white or full flow filter every six months or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first) and you would change the bypass filter every 25,000 miles or 1 year.

You'll need to buy extra oil and oil filters for the replacement intervals.

With this system oil change intervals of over 100,000 miles are quite common with ZERO engine wear based on oil analysis results.

Here is a shining example of a Dodgetruck with the Cummins diesel engine that went 329,000 miles without a regular oil change. This was found at www.bobistheoilguy.com

I was considering becoming an Amsoil Dealer when the guy showed me this analysis. It definetly helped me make my decision. Can you see why?
I run a business doing on-site oil changes and see vehicles/oil in all kinds of conditions. After finding this board I am considering doing some samples just out of curiosity. The worst I've seen so far is a Ford 300-6 that went 18,000 miles on dino oil. I squezzed out about a quart of the black stuff. People do amazing things to company vehicles.

Here's ths results for the Dodge I just thought some may find this interesting.

'94 Dodge Cummins/250/PU
Initial Fill Amsoil HDD 5W30, Amsoil Full Flow/Bypass Kit
Full Flows Changed @ 25,000 mi/ Bypass @ 50,000mi
Topped off with AME 15W40 more recently
miles on unit- 332,600
miles on oil 329,148
Analysis performed by CTC

Iron, 76
Chromium 0
Lead 22
Copper 4
Tin 6
Aluminum 9
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 5
Boron 1
Sodium 0
Magnesium 321
Calcium 3792
Barium 219
Phosphorus 1056
Zinc 1354
Moly 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0
Fuel <1
Vis@100c 12.54
Water 0
Soot/Solids .3
TAN 3.84
TBN 8.41

By the way, many of these miles were with the truck completely loaded with oil going from the warehouse to deliveries across the country.

#10 · (Edited)
Here is more info about oil analysis: http://www.oaitesting.com/

If you don't have room for the Dual bypass system, you can buy a single bypass system that taps off of your oil sending unit for the oil supply and returns the oil through the side of oil pan or down into your oil filler cap. If you plan on using the oil cap as the return port make sure your vehicle does not have the pcv valve in the neck of the filler tube like the 4.7 Dakota and Rams do.I am purchasing the BMK-11 for my Dakota and I'm going to use the filler tube as the return line but, I'm adding a length of hose to place the oil outlet lower than the pcv valve.

Here are the specs for the single unit. It works on the same principal as the dual system except that your stock oil filter will remain in it's current location.
http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/instructions/bmk11.htm

Dimensions for the bmk-11: http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/instructions/bmk11/diagram_b_600px.gif

In closing,

You paid 40,000 dollars for your truck, why not pay a little more for engine protection. If you plan on trading in your vehicle, this system is for you. If this is the last vehicle you plan on buying, this system is a good investment in my opinion.

Bill,

#11 ·
Bill looks like I am going to have to hit the lottery so I can get the rest of this truck done!!! LOL What a great improvement with the Amsoil in it though. Have not lost a drop of oil either!! Oil is as clear as it was when I put it in. Taking a trip to WV this weekend and cannot wait to see the mileage. Talk to you later

#12 ·
You'd be a fool to run a 25k OIC with out Oil analysis by the lab of your choice. Even with Amsoil. OIC's are determined by vehicle and driving style not to mention you climate. Amsoil is great if you want it but its not the god of oil. Most are not as good but many do just as well depending on your perticular application. Also, notice any oil pressure drops with the bypass?

#13 ·
Out of curiosity could the bypass system work with normal synthetic oil or does it have to be Amsoil? Like what if you needed an emergency change for some reason, like you had to get repairs done or something and don't have time to wait to order the Amsoil oil... could you still use off the shelf synthetic?

Also... how difficult is the system to install? I'm very interested if this may also allow my engine to run cooler. :)

#14 ·
REALM said:
Out of curiosity could the bypass system work with normal synthetic oil or does it have to be Amsoil? Like what if you needed an emergency change for some reason, like you had to get repairs done or something and don't have time to wait to order the Amsoil oil... could you still use off the shelf synthetic?

Also... how difficult is the system to install? I'm very interested if this may also allow my engine to run cooler. :)
You can use regular oil or a different brand synthetic with the bypass system in a pinch (with zero problems). Just don't try to run it for 50,000 miles plus like you can with Amsoil.

A oil analysis is still a good idea.

The dual bypass system is a very convenient system because both filters are next to each other making filter changes much easier.

The second system I posted (BMK-11) is designed for vehicles where space is at a premium and you don't have the room to mount the large dual filter system. My Dakota does not have the room for the dual bypass, but I still want the same benefits of the dual system so i'm purchasing the BMK-11.

The only true difference is the location of the filters, there are no performance differences between the single or dual set-up.

This is if you use the same regular oil filter and the same size bypass filter.

If you have plenty of room, the dual system is the way to go.

The synthetic oil will make your truck run cooler.

Bill,

#16 ·
I'll email you with all pertinent information.

Bill,

#17 ·
Also, in my original post , you'll see with my HEMI, My idiot temp gauge dropped 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Right after switching to amsoil. I know its an idiot guage, but it obviously dropped the temp a bit. And I did get improved mileage, 1-2 mpg, depending on my driving style for the day. And lets not forget how quiet the engine is now...amazing.

I'll be doing a complete Trans Change in december, and gear lube. Also, I'm driving my HEMI to Ice Cold Kansas for thanksgiving, I'll keep close tabs on warm up time, and mileage for ya'll.

In all the Independant tests, "Nothing out-performs Amsoil"

Later

Dank, In hot, sweaty, Phoenix, AZ

#18 ·
I just did my 6k change and switched to Amsoil. I saw the same temp drop everyone else has posted here and at other boards ... a "needle-width" to the cool side from where I was running.

I'm looking forward to the improved mpg. :D

I'll be doing an analysis somewhere along the way just to see where I'm at and I'll post results, but it'll be six months or so. :cool:

I'm doing a 1/2 tranny fluid change also, just haven't gotten around to it, the fluid's sitting in my garage. I expect the shifts will be smoother and the tranny will run a little cooler, we'll see.

#19 ·
I can ditto what the post above said . . . "I just did my 6k change and switched to Amsoil. I saw the same temp drop everyone else has posted here and at other boards ... a "needle-width" to the cool side from where I was running."

Also, I pull a 5,000 lb horse trailer everywhere I go - saw my mileage increase from 1 to 1½ mpg. Not a great increase, but a great increase for the investment. Not many of the mods noted here can do that for the cost of an oil change.

We should all appreciate the help "AMSOIL BILL" has provided without being pushy or overbearing. Not so with know-it-alls on other boards I visit. Matter of fact, when several people at my work decided to try AMSOIL, Bill indicated I should set up as a dealer so I could make a buck when ordering for them.

THANKS!

#21 ·
Here ya go!

To date,

Amsoil has never had a warranty claim due to their oil causing an engine failure. My Amsoil sponsor has been selling amsoil for 25 years. He is a direct jober with over 250 downline customers and dealers. He has never ever had one engine failure by using Amsoil. None of his customers have ever had any problems either.

Here is their official stance on these issues:

To start with, a Q&A:

Extended Drain Intervals and Warranties

Q. I have read the NOACK tests and the "3,000 miles oil change" fallacy. I have been using the AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 synthetic oil, AMSOIL SDF-29 filter and AMSOIL Air Filter. I have been following directions cleaning and re-using the air filter on a once-a-year basis and changing the oil filter twice a year. I leave the oil in for the full year. That amounts to between 5,000 and 6,500 in the one year period.

I have recently purchased a brand new 2001 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3.4L engine. I also have purchased the GM Factory extended 6/60 warranty. I received the warranty book and read it. Much to my surprise I find the following reference under "Your Responsibilities" in the book:

"YOU must properly maintain the covered VEHICLE which includes, but is not limited to, changing the engine oil at a minimum of every 3,000 miles or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts and work orders showing date and mileage of the VEHICLE at the time of service must be presented to US in the event of a FAILURE or CLAIM."

Because of this I fear switching to the AMSOIL 0W-30 synthetic oil and oil filter and leaving it in the engine for the full year or 35,000 miles thus risking voiding the factory warranty. Is there anything you can do to contact GM and convince them of the fallacy of the 3,000 mile oil change and convince them to use and recommend AMSOIL synthetic oil in their cars? They are convinced enough to use Havoline "extended" drain interval antifreeze, why won't they see the advantages of AMSOIL synthetic 0W-30 oil?

A. The language in the extended protection plan was written by an insurance company, and is definitely intended to intimidate you into changing your oil every 3,000 miles. They are doing everything they can to try to limit their liability for claims and create “wiggle” room. What’s new!

All of the vehicle OEMs in the U.S. have agreed that a warranty cannot be denied because a customer was using any brand of motor oil at any length drain interval unless an engine failure was directly attributable to the oil or drain interval. For example, if your radio, power steering unit, air conditioner, etc., broke down, they could not void the warranty that covers those items because you were changing your engine oil at 6,500 miles or one year. If it is not an oil related failure, they cannot void the warranty. The law supports this position.

If your engine failed, and the manufacturer denied your warranty for repair due to your using extended drain intervals, then you would submit your claim to the AMSOIL Technical Services Department for handling. (See the AMSOIL Limited Warranty.) Our staff will analyze the oil, and if we are able to provide documentation that proves the source of the problem was other than the oil, and that in turn allows your claim to be processed under the original warranty, then we will. If no proof can be assembled regarding the source of the problem, our insurance adjustor will be dispatched to resolve the claim. A warranty claim being denied because of the use of extended drain intervals is an extremely rare occurrence. That’s because motor oils do not cause engine failures … dirt, glycol and other mechanical problems do.

Ironically, in Europe the auto manufacturers recommended drain intervals are from 12,000-18,000 miles using petroleum products, and are moving even higher. In the U.S., it has been published that auto manufacturers are also going to be moving toward extended drain intervals of up to 15,000 miles in the not too distant future. G.M. is currently moving toward a system that tells you when to change your oil based upon a computer program that evaluates your driving habits. Some other car companies are planning on having an on-board oil analyzer to tell you when to change your oil. This will allow for shorter drains for poorer quality oils and longer drains for higher quality oils, where G.M.’s system will not distinguish between the two. As these changes develop, so will the language in owner’s manuals as well as extended warranty policies.

You’ve used our products successfully for 7 years, drive extremely low miles per year, and are following all of our directions for air filter cleaning and oil filter changing. You have our warranty coverage to fall back on in the unlikely event of an engine failure that is not covered by your vehicle warranty. I hope you will not be intimidated by the language in your extended warranty policy and will continue to use the highest quality and best performing products that you can, AMSOIL.

And now the key points:

Warranties And API Licensed Motor Oils

Fortunately, the law does not allow manufacturers to "void your warranty" simply because of the brand of oil you use, the specifications it meets or the miles you drive between oil changes. To be specific, they cannot deny to fix your broken radio, faulty valve or cracked piston because you used an AMSOIL non-API licensed motor oil, or because you've gone more than 3000 miles since your last oil change. Denial of warranty coverage must be specifically due to an oil related failure. All courts of law will find against any manufacturer or dealership that tries these warranty shenanigans. If any automobile dealership insinuates that your warranty will be void if you use AMSOIL products or utilize extended drain intervals, let AMSOIL INC. know the name of the Dealership, the address, the owner's name and the name of the employee that made this statement. Mail to:

AMSOIL INC.
Attention: Technical Services Department
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI 54880

or e-mail to tech@amsoil.com.

They will almost never put it in writing, but if they do, please send us a copy of that, too. Either way, we will send them a letter informing them cease the intimidation of our customers. Click HERE to read a sample letter.

Only if the oil is determined to be the direct cause of the engine problem can a manufacturer or dealership deny warranty coverage for that specific problem. In this situation the AMSOIL warranty would apply, and the AMSOIL Technical Services Department would assist you in processing your claim and in getting the vehicle repaired. That's our pledge to you. AMSOIL INC. sells millions of gallons of oil per year and warranty claims are a rare occurrence. If you ever have a warranty problem with an automobile manufacturer or dealership, AMSOIL will assist you by analyzing the problem and providing data supporting the fact that repairs should be made under the vehicle manufacturer's warranty. If this does not resolve the problem, AMSOIL will submit a claim with our insurance company and request that an adjuster have the vehicle repaired and pursue legal settlement later if necessary. The fact is there never has been an engine failure attributed to the non-performance of AMSOIL products, and we do not expect there ever will be. If it ever did, both AMSOIL and our insurance company would make certain your problem was resolved. Click HERE to see the AMSOIL Limited Warranty.

How Does AMSOIL INC. Ensure Their Products Meet Or Exceed The Minimum Specifications Of The Tests Required For API Licensing?

First, AMSOIL INC. works closely with major additive companies to select the top performing, and usually most expensive, passenger car and heavy duty diesel motor oil additives. These additives have already passed all of the API licensing requirements in a petroleum or synthetic based formulation. Then we work with the additive company to maximize the amount of additive used and to boost the additive package in selected performance areas to achieve an optimum performing additive package for reduced wear and extended drain intervals. This is unlike the vast majority of companies who, because additives are expensive, use the minimum amount of the least expensive additives required to meet the minimum API requirements.

We then utilize a blend of synthetic basestocks with known performance characteristics as a replacement for the petroleum basestocks to optimize performance in areas of lubricity, volatility, viscosity index, oxidation and nitration resistance, pour points, flash points, deposit control, soot handling, emissions, etc. We also will utilize a highly shear stable V.I. improver to ensure viscosity retention throughout extended drain intervals. This replaces the inexpensive and less shear stable V.I. improver used in the API licensed petroleum formula. We do laboratory bench tests before running field tests to verify the superiority of the synthetic formula in actual use. We also continue to monitor the performance of the oil through close scrutiny of tens of thousands of oil analysis tests per year across a wide variety of vehicles all around North America and the World. AMSOIL INC. has been collecting used synthetic oil samples from passenger cars since 1982. No other oil company has such a vast data base of the performance of synthetic lubricants over extended drain intervals.

AMSOIL INC.'s products and formulations outperform API licensed oils. They're engineered that way. Period.

Conclusion

AMSOIL INC. takes pride in never having conformed to industry norms or standards when those standards are contrary to peak performance. We introduced synthetics to the automotive world in 1972 with the first synthetic motor oil to exceed API performance specifications. At that time other manufacturers refused to recognize the superior performance of synthetic motor oils. Now, however, most companies sell synthetic lubricants, vehicles are factory filled with synthetic motor oils and gear lubes, and some manufacturers even offer extended warranties if you use synthetics. AMSOIL has always offered extended drain intervals because the oil was capable of performing for extended drains, and it was the right thing to do for the consumer. Now the entire industry is moving in that direction. Ironically, it was recently published that automotive manufacturers will be recommending extended drain intervals of up to 15,000 miles in the near future because that's what consumers want.

AMSOIL is a company of firsts. That doesn't happen by always conforming to industry norms and standards.

API licensing of lubricants is voluntary, and it ensures automobile manufacturers and consumers that the product meets a set of minimum standards. Should these standards, in the future, be raised to a level consistent with AMSOIL's standards for motor oil performance, AMSOIL will consider licensing all oils. For those that feel pressured to use an API licensed product, we have them and encourage you to use them (XLT, XLM, XLF and PCO). AMSOIL does offer better performing motor oils that are not API licensed for all of the reasons explained in this response. They provide our customers with alternatives to the commodity products typically available in the market today. If you want the convenience of extended drain intervals or the top performance from your vehicle, AMSOIL has taken time to engineer the very best money can buy.

Bill,

#23 ·
would mounting the filters to the rear between the frame rails be better instead of having them out in front like that?

#24 ·
You can mount the filters anywhere that fits provided the hoses aren't kinked or in an abrasive enviroment. Here is Amsoil's page of different installs: http://amsoil.com/bypassfilters/index.htm

The front location was used because it was a very convienant spot and the filters are easily accesible.

I had to weld a a special bracket to mount the dual bypass system in my Dad's 01 Chevy Silverado. I'll be submitting my install on the above-mentioned page also.

Bill,

#25 ·
Your not getting the point or the question that I am asking. When using AMSOIL two filter system, you are modifying the oil system that is on the engine.
What I want to know, WILL that modification void out your warranty on the engine. I'm not worried about AMSOIL OIL itself.

#26 ·
Crew7123 said:
Your not getting the point or the question that I am asking. When using AMSOIL two filter system, you are modifying the oil system that is on the engine.
What I want to know, WILL that modification void out your warranty on the engine. I'm not worried about AMSOIL OIL itself.
Based on the Magnusson Moss Warranty act, using the bypass sytstem won't void your warranty unless it causes an engine failure.

To void your warranty, the dealer must prove that the engine was damaged because of the use of the bypass system. If your dealership says they will void your warranty based solely on the use of the bypass system, have them put it in writing and submit it Amsoil's legal department.

You automatically pick up a warranty from Amsoil when you use their products within their recommendations including service intervals.

Bill,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.