DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with engine noise on 2.7

821 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jfitch 
#1 ·
Good day.........I am a virgin (first time post) and looking for some help.
This is on a 2000 Intrepid with 150km. I drove it last night and it ran perfect, just like the last 6 years. Pulled it out of the garage today and noticed a slight rapping noise. Sounds like it's coming from under the intake. Actually sounds just like a loose tappet.
OK, I have read all the scarey stories about sludge, timing chains, etc., but don't believe that is the problem.
The noise is there until it hits 2300 rpm. I can drive down the road or just rev up in neutral. It's like there is a switch that is turning something off/on at exactly 2300rpm. The noise has a very distinct on/off point.
The rpm thing is what's making me wonder what all the moving parts in the intake are doing.

I plan to bring it in to the dealer asap but I can already hear the BS.
Figured I'd get some "real" info before I go there.

Any info or ideas would be appreciated.........thanks :confused:

#2 ·
The ticking you are hearing under the intake is probably a lifter. It's not too big of a deal to replace them, but I would wonder if sludge clogged an oil passage to the lifter. You'll know more with the valve cover removed.

I would also worry anytime that I took something to the dealer.

#3 ·
I drove to the dealer and it ran fine. The day before it was rattling away like crazy.
I'm sort of at their mercy, with computors contolling todays cars, it's difficult to figure out what the problem is.
The rpm thing is still what's throwing me for a loop. If it was mechanical, it would not be on/off whenever it wants.

#5 ·
turns out it was the chain tensioner.
He showed me the parts and what was happening. The noise was there at idle cause the oil pressure was too low, which activates the tensioner. (short version explanation).
The chain and gears were perfect.

Sludge issue on 2.7.............I only learned about that from reading a few forums, got me sort of worried. Since the engine was apart, it was a good time to check and things seemed fine. Didn't look much different than any other engine. The dealership that did the work had no problems showing me the internals. They actually said it was one of their better engines and rarely see them in the shop for mechanical failures.
My 2000 now has over 150,000kms and that has been the first time anything has broke. (knock on wood!!!!!!!!)..it has been a great car. Hopefully it stays like that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.