Abs and brake light on - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 12 Old 03-17-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
MoparFanatic21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Abs and brake light on

96 RAM 1500 5.9l rear wheel and. Have them two lights on, changed the rear abs sensor nothing. Going to bleed the brakes and see if that changes anything (01 Durango had the same thing and the brakes needed bleed). If that doesn't do it what else could it be? I notice two that the 4wd light doesn't come on but I have 4wd. (Found out maybe the wrong bulb socket fsm says 74 bulb but the stocket in it uses a 194 so maybe that's the reason
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 PM
spun360

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
specific light bulbs shouldn't matter.
do a gravity bleed and erase the codes with a memory dump.

parts for sale
ask about my treadwright retread experience
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

$150: 210lb double and dampener valve springs .550 lift
$pay shipping: new, dana/ spicer (1)greasable upper & (1)lower ball joint for dana 44
$pay shipping: new, standard oil pump
$pay shipping: new, super strength moog #377 frt axle hub universal w/ grease fitting
prices (for residence of the US)
cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #3 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
MoparFanatic21

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spun360 View Post
specific light bulbs shouldn't matter.
do a gravity bleed and erase the codes with a memory dump.
Please be more specific on what you mean by gravity bleed. Memory wipe by disconnecting battery? Well now I think it's the abs cab

post #4 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 08:45 PM
spun360

:GRAVITY BLEED:
take the cap off the reservoir. open the furthest fitting rear/ right wheel cylinder, let it bleed till the bubbles are gone and the stream is regular, close it, next open the rear left, close it, next open up the frt right, close it, WATCH THE FLUID LEVELS. IF THE RESERVOIR RUNS DRY ITS TROUBLE- keep topping it off, next open up the frt left, close it, top off the fluids again.
I like to use valvaline 3/4 cause its clear. when the fluid is dirty I notice early. when the mechanic used trans fluid- I drained the whole system again, clear is the way to go, "cause a clean hydraulic system is in good working order"!
I have never had a reoccurring code with a gravity bleed.

parts for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

$pay shipping: new, dana/ spicer (1)greasable upper & (1)lower ball joint for dana 44
$pay shipping: new, super strength moog #377 frt axle hub universal w/ grease fitting
cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #5 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
MoparFanatic21

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
take the cap off the reservoir. open the furthest fitting rear/ right wheel cylinder, let it bleed till the bubbles are gone and the stream is regular, close it, next open the rear left, close it, next open up the frt right, close it, WATCH THE FLUID LEVELS. IF THE RESERVOIR RUNS DRY ITS TROUBLE- keep topping it off, next open up the frt left, close it, top off the fluids again.
I like to use valvaline 3/4 cause its clear. when the fluid is dirty I notice early. when the mechanic used trans fluid- I drained the whole system again, clear is the way to go, "cause a clean hydraulic system is in good working order"!
Never knew you could do it that way. Was the from the FSM? I did the old two person method or the homemade one man brake bleeder. I might also bleed the rwal (if that's the right abbreviation) valve to
post #6 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
MoparFanatic21

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
On another note: the kid I bought the truck off of did so much crap to this thing (took 1500 aches and put it on this 2500) I need help tracing where 3 wires go can you help?
post #7 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Moparite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Quote:
erase the codes with a memory dump
Did you do this? Sometime the abs will hold the last code that was set(lights on) and won't shut them off until you reset it even if you replaced the sensor.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
MoparFanatic21

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparite View Post
Quote:
erase the codes with a memory dump
Did you do this? Sometime the abs will hold the last code that was set(lights on) and won't shut them off until you reset it even if you replaced the sensor.
I disconnected the battery negative when I replaced the sensor for 10 minutes and still had the light. When I went to bleed it I found the bleeders are the factory ones from 96 and they wouldn't open up. So I sprayed them with PB Blaster and am waiting.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 PM
spun360

just disconnecting the battery doesn't dump the 2nd tear codes.

parts for sale

cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #10 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
MoparFanatic21

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
just disconnecting the battery doesn't dump the 2nd tear codes.
How do you dunno the codes then?
post #11 of 12 Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
MoparFanatic21

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE: Didn't bleed the brakes as all the bleeders are rusted but sprayed then down with PB Blaster will try later on today. Got the 4WD light to come on (ground was cut I hate people messing with wires). Now it's on constantly, and only goes out when I unplug the plug at the CAD
post #12 of 12 Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
MoparFanatic21

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE: Pulled code 9 checked the resistance at the wss it was low (new sensor) so changed it again and it hit 1800 ohms (factory spec is between 1500-2500 ohms) but didn't stay there (think it was me as I was on my back in the dark). Checked the wiring with multimeter and I think its good, which only leaves the CAB.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in