DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fan Clutch ROAR...... NEED HELP

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  TexasCajun 
#1 ·
08 2500 4x4 hemi. installed aftermarket(60.00) noise got louder. put stock back on. Two mechanics telling me i have to buy OEM from dodge only(536.00) this is highway robbery! it is robbing MPG and horse power. sounds like airplane taking off every time i hit the gas. took off clutch completly and no noise maybe even more Horses. couldn't tell b/c it started getting hot, so put stock back on. please help.....

#2 ·
You might want to look into getting electric fans. A lot of people have done this and said they felt some good power increase. You have to get the right ones of course or you'll over heat. You can search on here.

I had a 07 2500 Megacab and know what you're saying. That is normal, just he sound the fan makes when locked.

If you really want to wake that truck up, I recommend a SuperChips with the Shift Schedule. Search this site as well.

It made my truck feel like I gained 100HP! It was amazing.

#3 ·
Thank you so much, I have also read a blog suggesting an electric fan. would have to research a little more for instillation. I do in fact have a superchips programmer and have only used the quick tune performance for 91 octane. felt a little more power. i though that was about all i could get out of it. would like to know how to program a shift schedule? back to the clutch, just took off and the front spring is not rusted hit it with some blaster. it spins just like the aftermarket one with a little resistance. no wobble at all. started truck and of course no loud airplane noise but there was some whining noise. not sure if this is adding to the clutch issue or not. all i know is two weeks ago for the past year i could hear my mufflers over anything. sure do miss that sound. you know , a head turner..

#4 ·
Sounds like a great time to do the upgrade to electric fan!
Here's a pic of my 03/4.7

Attachments

#5 ·
looks great, DO you have a link or instructions to the wiring? will need to wire to some sort of temp sensor. dont want the fan running all the time. keep in mine I do not have a wiring harness on my Clutch only the spring on the front. Will this make a difference scared I will run into issues.

#7 ·
You will need to contact SuperChips, sign a waiver and then purchase the shift schedule for $40. Tell them you had issues with it and they'll most likely waive the fee. That is what they did with me.

#9 ·
Wiring depends on what electric fan / controller you install. If store bought instructions will be included. Wiring should not be that difficult. Figuring out the overflow and washer bottle location could pose a problem. Unless you use the old ones and keep the shroud in place.
Stock stat will likely cause the fan to run a lot. A 180 should reduce the fan being on. Probably experiment with that?
When I did mine the biggest problem I struggled with was getting the clutch fan off. Had to weld up a make shift spanner wrench.
Lots of planning if you decide. But wiring should be the least of your problems.

#10 ·
man, thats really good info, the fan clutch was easy for me. Put a big cresent wrench on it and smacked it a few times with a crowbar an it came right off. I knew there was A better way then renting/buying that wrench from auto zone. Any way , i have read a few blogs about double and singal fans for the 5.7. and will do a little more research and make a move unless some one chimes in with the exact same situation. Laissez les bons temps rouler(LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL) !

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.