DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CEL - evap emissions

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  chizzle1 
#1 ·
Is there anyway to bypass the solenoid, charcoal canister, and the other emissions crap that is on the passenger side of the engine bay.
One of the three hoses was leaking, so I plugged them, but now I am getting a CEL stating the purge solenoid is not functioning correctly, and my mileage is down to about 9 mpg, from 12.

I tried replacing all the hoses that go from the MAP to the soldnoid group and to the cannister.
I don't want to start throwing parts at it as some of them are over $200 each.

Anyone have this problem and solve it?
thanks.

#2 ·
i asked this question a little while ago and got little to no help because i was removing emission parts.
i ended up taking out most of the lines while leaving the charcoal canister in. i also left the purge solenoid plugged in and im not getting any check engine light from it. you can also get a half watt 100 ohm resistor and it is supposed to keep the check engine light off. i havent tried it yet. im still trying to find some half watt resistors.

#4 ·
i asked this question a little while ago and got little to no help because i was removing emission parts.
i ended up taking out most of the lines while leaving the charcoal canister in. i also left the purge solenoid plugged in and im not getting any check engine light from it. you can also get a half watt 100 ohm resistor and it is supposed to keep the check engine light off. i havent tried it yet. im still trying to find some half watt resistors.
what did you do with the line going from the MAP sensor to the solenoid?
I have figured out that if I hook it up normally I get a code for 'evap emissions leak - large', and if I loop the hoses back to the solenoid I get a 'purge solenoid failure'.
Since I have replaced all the lines going to and from the charcoal canister, I can only assume the canister itself is leaking somewhere.

vac leaks are the #1 problem with the evap system. I'd try to fix it first. It's main purpose is to suck the gas vapors from the tank. Do a search here, You may find simple fix or a bypass if you go the way.
I would like to get it fixed as my mileage has taken a nosedive since the light came on.
I really don't care if it's bypassed or fixed, as long as it doesn't effect the operation of the engine.
I'm not sure how the emissions could effect the mileage tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.