DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

72-93 truck compatible parts

11K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  reek 
#1 ·
did a search with not much info so gotta ask, sorry if it's been asked before.

after years of trying to decide to sh#t or get off the pot, I did it. bought some old d100's . the body style I grew up with.

I just picked up 2 project trucks. a 1972 stepside D100 and a 78 d100 short bed. I'm going to drop the stepside on the 78 frame. the 72 frame looks suspect.

I wanted to know any cross compatibility so I can plan any modifications while expanding my available sources to include the 81-93 era trucks.

How much of the hard parts (frame, cross members, trans, drive shaft, axles) are cross compatible between the trucks of 72-80 and 81-93?

any info would be appreciated.

Will post pics of my little projects as soon as I get them delivered to my work shop.

#4 ·
Other than some minor improvements over the yrs such as steering box braces and weight reduction brackets for tire hangers and minor things like that there is little if any difference in the 72 and 93 frame. I do recall reading somewhere that the actual way they tempered the steel may have changed somewhere around the mid eighties. That being said the dimensions of the frames did not change.

#7 ·
I've since picked up a 3rd parts truck so there's a change on plans.

My first plan is to restore 72 stepside, in dark cherry red. I want to put a 408 stroker (ATK crate motor) and a a518 or 46RH 4 speed. So I'm looking for a 93 ram so I can pirate the trans, crossmember and driveshaft.

Second truck after I finish the first, will be the 73 shortbed I just picked up. I want to try my hand at rebuilding the 360 in it but would like to add a 4 speed as well. Crossmembers/later d150/rams are rare around here so may have to weld up a crossmember myself and have my driveshaft modified. I plan on doing a rumble bee/super bee scheme, yellow with the rear bumble bee stripe, with a matte black hood with hood pins.

I'm quickly finding out that parts for these trucks are non-existent.

I was hell bent on getting the gas tank out of the cab - for the sloshing sound more than anything but I don't think that'll be feasible since frame mount gas tanks are also as common as unicorns.

as soon as I get my garage addition finished I'll be starting my rebuilds....

#9 ·
I was considering this but I'd have to title it as the "newer" truck which for me involves smogging and limiting mods. Of course, I think they usually check the vin plate on the cab and not the frame so not out of the question completely. If I could find a 93 short bed regular cab frame, I'd probably do it. any other years make for an easy swap?

#10 ·
I don't believe there is a vin on the frame. This subject was brought up before.
any other years make for an easy swap?
well i think you will run into the same problems what ever year you choose. Frame to cab mounts may have to be moved,Bumper mounts and any other fitment issues. Wiring to the old cab could be time consuming. Also depend on what you want to do with the motor & tranz. 96 and up is OBD2 so tuning a 408 and keeping the drive train stock wont be a problem that is if you want to keep it fuel injected.

#12 ·
Sounds like you got your work cut out for ya.
Jegs has a Blueprint 408 for $2000 rite now. ( minus the cam and heads ect ) that should save atleast 500 or more. Wished I'd found that before I done my moter.

Just an idea on the gas tank; I used to have a truck with a cab gas tank and I built a cover for it. Plywood then carpeted it, covered the sides so you couldn't see it. Worked and looked great.

FYI ; amazon has fuel sender floats!
Plastic ones for like $7

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.